Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Seconding the affirmation of dev. The only terrible thing I've had happen in two years was a period of about four days where Chrome would crash on startup. I just switched back to Firefox for that time, and updated manually when a new release came out.

I also prefer Chrome Adblock to AdBlock Plus. The element hiding helper is tons better (it gives you a slider to expand/narrow the container selector you want to block) and just seems more polished overall.

Can't wait for the resource blocking API. That's the only thing holding me back from switching to Chrome on my desktop. I already run it on my laptop because it uses less resources than FF, but really want true ad blocking before I go all in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Since people here have said that ABP for Chrome now does URL blocking, I want to switch to it. However, it really bugs me that there's no good way to select elements to hide on a page. In regular AdBlock, you can click an element to hide, then expand or contract that selection until you have everything you want hidden, hidden. With APB, you can click on one element, and only one element, to hide it.

For example, go to Arstechnica.com. On the right hand side, they have a box called "DON'T MISS: PROMOS & INSIGHT", which is just advertising disguised as a story. In AdBlock, I tell it to block an element, click on any part of that box, then expand the selection with the slider until the entire box is hidden. In APB, I can't directly select the container div; I can only block parts of the box one-by-one. Worse, since the title of the box has the same class as every other title element, I can't even block that. I literally can not block the entire ad, because I can't select it.

I could try to write a filter by hand, but by then, I've already switch back to AdBlock ten minutes before reaching that point.

Is there something I'm missing here? Why does anybody use ABP?

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

kri kri posted:

Anyone know of a way to preserve the chrome window between reboot and sleeps?

Ganon posted:

Speaking of preserving, a while back the dev release started remembering what you had open after closing the browser. But it only lasted a few days and then went back to starting fresh after closing/reopening. Strange.
Are you guys talking about re-opening the last tabs you had open when you close and re-open Chrome? Because, if so, that's in Preferences/Options->"On Startup: Reopen the pages that were open last" (under the "Basics" heading, first page.) Been there since near day 1.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding you.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Montalvo posted:

Anyone else getting weird distorsions and noise on the button for Mail Checker Minus?

Here's what I'm seeing:

The pixelated effect changes whenever I mouse over the button or load a new page; and I'm seeing the same effect on the download bar. I'm on the dev branch.
if you're on a Mac, this is a known problem that was listed in the release notes for the latest dev release.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Atrocious Pirate posted:

Anyone else having issue's using google maps?

mine appears to sit there "Un-Responsive" works perfectly under ie9 & ff 3.6.28

win7 64bit Running the latest stable version of chrome.

Funnly enough when i load up chrome under ubuntu 11:04 that uses the same extensions but synced under a different profile google maps works flawlessly.
I used to have this consistently on Google Maps. Turns out I had enabled some experimental flag under chrome://flags. I believe it was "Enable Experimental JavaScript". Try turning off that flag and, if that doesn't work, setting all the flags on that page to their default value.

If that still doesn't work, make sure you're testing with all extensions disabled (try an incognito window -- though beware, some extensions can still run, so make sure to check your extensions page.)

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Is there any way to set up URL shortcuts? I'm constantly loading, say, my Google Calendar and since Chrome doesn't show the bookmark bar (which I kinda like), I usually navigate to it via the address bar.

Ideally, I'd like to just type 'gcal' and have it open http://www.google.com/calendar .

I can, of course, use the autocomplete suggestions, but 'Calendar' shows up in a lot of URLs, and starting by typing 'google.com' obviously also brings up a lot of URLs.

I have a bookmark named "GCal" and if I type 'gcal' into the address bar, it will show up as one of the auto-complete results. But it's the third option down, and I have to manually select it. If I just type 'gcal <enter>', it will search Google for 'gcal'.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

edit: nevermind, I am dumb

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Karthe posted:

Until this morning Chrome Beta was working fine. Now, when I try to visit any Google-related site or Facebook, I get:

Is anyone else having this issue? What's weird is that only Chrome is having the problem. When I try to access those same sites in IE, they load fine. On top of that, I can access the SA forums just fine in Chrome, and in fact I'm posting from it now. It makes no sense. :(
Have you disabled all your extensions and turned off all your flags in chrome://flags ? What version are you on?

(Can we put the preceding two sentences in big, red letters at the top of the OP? Not saying this will definitely solve your problem, Karthe, but it should be the first thing you check.)

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Bit of a longshot, but does anybody know of a way from keeping Chrome from trying to refresh all its tabs on startup? Or at least, not when there's no internet access?

OS X will launch Chrome on startup if I had it open when I shutdown. However, my WiFi connection can take up to a minute to actually connect (work network, who knows why.) What happens is that Chrome will open before the connection is active, and all my tabs will turn into error pages. I then have to go to each one and refresh it when the WiFi connection finally works.

Any way around this?

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Civil Twilight posted:

Open preferences, look at the "On startup" section. I don't know of any way to make it conditional on a live connection.
Oh, yeah, definitely want it to still open my saved tabs, just not have them reload on startup -- used the cached version or something.

Oh well, back into the Chromium source I go to fix it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Vegetable posted:

Are there Chrome add-ons where I can get the definition of a word via context menu? I'm currently using Google Dictionary but it responds whenever I highlight a word which gets kinda annoying. I'd like to highlight word, right-click, select define and have the definition pop-up within the page.
I use the "Context Menu Search" extension, and define a 'search' for dictionary.com. Then I just select some text, right click, and search for its definition on the site.

Mountain Lion also now comes with pop-up dictionary definitions of virtually all text via selecting-> 3 finger tap.