Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I wish they would fix using locales for window titles, yay for little squares everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Surely Google could just have seeded the existing dictionary a little better for offline mode:

quote:

Show spelling suggestions for misspelled words from the online spellchecker provided by Google (only after users opt into sending text to the service) (r120959).

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2012/02/dev-channel-update_10.html

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mmm, new feature?

quote:

Other users are also experiencing difficulties connecting to this site, so you may have to wait a few minutes.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Anyone seen a howto for the ChromeOS OpenVPN setup?

It's seems overly complex, i.e. client certificates + username/password auth, and confusingly might include server certificates in addition. The username auth only seems functional with upstream OpenVPN-as packages and not Linux distribution builds on the server side, and similarly unlikely to work with pfSense.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Installing plenty of poor extensions it would seem.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Chrome doesn't have an RSS reader, it's consider bloat. Try an extension.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mak0rz posted:

I recently changed my Facebook password, but Chrome still only remembers the old one. How do I fix that?

Go to settings, search for "pass" click on "managed saved passwords", search for "facebook.com" and delete.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sounds like you might need a userscript for that, but holy cow why? Firefox Taiwan did that by default and it just mentally deficient.

code:
// ==UserScript==
	// @name		  Blank New link
	// @description	  force links to open in a new window
	// @include		  http*://*
	// ==/UserScript==

var arLinks = document.links;
	for (var i = arLinks.length - 1; i >= 0; i--) {
		var elmLink = arLinks[i];
		elmLink.target = "_blank";
	}
http://commons.oreilly.com/wiki/index.php/Greasemonkey_Hacks/Linkmania!#Force_Offsite_Links_to_Open_in_a_New_Window

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 27, 2012

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Caged posted:

I really want to know what market they thought they were targeting with that

I would presume well to do individuals who are over tired with the tedious nature of updates and security flaws on Windows and OSX, together with not having a nightmare if you destroy or lose it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The ARM Chromebook is only $250.

Any replacement program would quickly be exploited by no doubt highly novel means. Apple still does not offer AppleCare+ on all its products as it would likely carry a non-insignificant premium.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I'm guessing this is to copy photos from camera to Chromebook to later upload?

Probably more effective to buy more larger SD cards.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Dropping CALDAV seems incredibly strange, or just very oddly worded. It reads like a Microsoft style swipe as they now promote their own API instead of pushing enhancements to the standard.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

niss posted:

So I apparently missed the memo on Google taking Chrome Sync away from the free apps accounts. About a month previous I changed my password and that is when I started having all my sync issues.

The only sync issues were when sync functionality was added to Apps accounts properly causing a conflict with early usage that would sync to a non-Apps account profile. Some colossal mess where you need to delete the non-Apps profile and re-sync to the Apps account and then continue as normal.

Make sense? Doesn't really to me.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Xeom posted:

Can someone tell me why google chrome cannot load google.com. My internet explorer can, but not chrome.

It means a problem with the SPDY protocol to Google, all HTTPS marked Google sites will handover to SPDY for performance.

You can usually disable via a flag somewhere.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just noticed Chrome no longer uses native popup menus, a bit odd.

Either HTML layers or drawing in Skia.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 5, 2013

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It does not display as such in Windows XP.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 9, 2013

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Lord Bude posted:

In chrome, you do this by entering search terms into the main URL bar.

Actually all browsers support this functionality yet many still have the redundant secondary box.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Stare-Out posted:

Well that was a sneaky auto-update, then. Never got a prompt to restart Chrome or anything.

That's the entire point, after a while you may see a little arrow on the menu button but you are never prompted.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Stare-Out posted:

In any case, the new drop-down address bar thing is weird and man, the address bar font is huge now.

The tonne of whitespace left and right is odd, like Google wants to add some sort of preview snapshot with the highlighted link.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Conquistador posted:

Why did they put a search bar there if you can just use the address bar? I don't really even mind it it just seems kinda funky

Because many users type in google.com then type in their search.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It means the wonderful developers hijacking Chrome are really persistent despite Googles attempts to block simple install drops.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

nexus6 posted:

Goddamn it. Chrome has been autofilling the wrong saved passwords for HTTP authentication for a long time now

This is why they introduced the domain hint on autofill, quite handy. May be Windows-only so far as I haven't seen it in Ubuntu Chrome.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Aren't plugins sandbox in their own processes so the container browser bit size is irrelevant?

Even Microsoft fixed that poo poo in MSIE11.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Also in pr0n mode? It would appear the response is being cached somewhere and the options are a bit limited. One could be Chrome's prefetch is doing something unusual. The Chrome proxy service is only for mobile devices. Chrome isn't using its own DNS servers so it should be hitting the same endpoint.

Anything different in the request & response?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The site has a 24 hour cache, looks like you unfortunately hit a crash of some sort and it stayed until expiration.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Safari would be using MP4, Chrome would run with VP9 or VP8, so it is a matter of codec implementation.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

teagone posted:

Ahh, ok. So it's just Chrome and VP9 being poo poo on Mac OS. Got it.

Also, http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/13/chromium-4k-60fps-video/

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

reagan posted:

Does anybody have any idea why Chrome is displaying some images like this? The color grading is all hosed up. Reinstalling Chrome did not work, so I thought it was my video card drivers, but that didn't fix it. Firefox and IE display the same pictures just fine.

looks like an ICC colour profile?

https://photographylife.com/is-your-browser-color-managed

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The BroadcastChannel feature seems neat but can also be super spooky if like all adverts across all your tabs suddenly become synchronized.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There's a bug on MacOS at least that when the download bar disappears the window shrinks to the view size with the bar. That's weird and annoying.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I hope it's just an a/b test, are they really trying to say people only have four favourite sites? It still surprises me that Trivago says the average person visits 17 sites before booking a holiday :shrug:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

"Work computer" suggests AV and other terrible software, that's where to look first. Usual culprits are HTTP/2 failing or broken IPv6 connectivity as the browser has to implement the "Happy Eyes" protocol to failover to IPv4. idk.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Some broken brain there, the occlusion API is necessary to stop the bullshit farming Facebook likes.

VisibilityState = hidden has been there for ages, and is useful for lowering resource usage in background tabs, YouTube uses to stop auto-playing videos. Also see timer resolution dropping in background tabs, and features like Canvas painting doesn't work at all when in the background as the browser discards the GPU resources.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 19, 2019

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ghostlight posted:

What?

Why would that be Chrome's responsibility to stop and in what world does that farming not simply move to a browser that doesn't implement an occlusion API?

It falls under clickjacking and protecting your privacy. You generally don’t want websites randomly clicking buttons on your behalf.

Stormgale posted:

The specific issue is the new change that attempts to apply this not only to background (i.e. non focused) tabs but the occlusion of a focused tab with another window, and how google deployed this change to prod version as part of A/B Testing.

The 2017 reference for page visibility includes this as a feature, I guess Google only implemented it recently via the new occlusion API:

https://www.w3.org/TR/page-visibility-2/

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Devtools includes a button to switch rotation of the emulated display device, and a suite of options of devices with screen sizes. The default is “responsive” which should match your requirements.

https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/device-mode#limitations

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 25, 2019

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Generally the mechanic is supposed to be:
HTML code:
<input type="text" autocomplete="off">
It will err if you have a form with multiple elements that trigger a form-completion for an address or similar. So try to wrap the element with its own <form> tags, noting you cannot nest forms.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That's Amazon.com or a flavour of though? Ha, you could try clearing your browser cache et al, try in Incognito mode, etc. Looks like unfortunately you received a broken version of their page for some reason, or your :chome: has broken brain like being enrolled in some new horrendous experiment for forced autocomplete. There are a lot available checking today in the "chrome :// flags" URL, the descriptions are not exactly targeted for mere mortals though 💩

If it wasn't Amazon:

As a user you would probably need a user script that modified the page as so, I assume there must be some stock ones out there. There are a lot that enable autocomplete, finding one that disables it more challenging. Maybe need to make one specific for that website.

Usually nagging the site authors to fix it would be the way forward, https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Security/Securing_your_site/Turning_off_form_autocompletion

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 19, 2020