Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For whatever reason over the past week or so, if I have a Youtube video running in a tab and I then try to close the tab, Chrome locks up and I have to force quit the program. Any idea what could be causing that? It seems that if the video isn't actually playing then the lockup doesn't occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shadowgate posted:

Read this page of the thread. It's discussed.

drat, my bad. I'm usually better at checking recent posts before posting, I swear :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SouthLAnd posted:

I think the latest release of Chrome is causing my laptop to lock up. It usually happens while watching Youtube videos and the entire machine becomes unresponsive. The only thing I can do is manually shut it down and restart. I've gone back to using Firefox and haven't experienced any problems, has this been happening to anyone else? It probably just started in the last couple weeks or so. Microsoft security and malwarebytes haven't found anything, all drivers are up to date. :iiam:

I actually just came here to post something similar. My laptop has been locking up every now and then when downloading audio files through Chrome (I listen to a lot of podcasts) so I started downloading them through Opera and the problem stopped. Then I tried to download a .mp4 file earlier tonight with Chrome and once the download finished my laptop hardlocked. When I viewed the file itself however, it was fine :iiam::hf::iiam: Any advice?

E: I think it happened one time when I was using Vine but I don't use Vine so I can't say that lockup was related to these others.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 10, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SouthLAnd posted:

I have gone back to using Firefox for the last week and my computer has not frozen since. I like Chrome a tiny bit more than FF, but it's enough to make me miss it.

Yeah, I just had another hardlock due to not realizing a webpage had an embedded Vine video so I might just switch to Opera full-time for now. What happened to you Chrome :(

Out of curiosity, what sort of computer are you finding these problems on? I'm using an ASUS laptop that's approaching 3 years in age, and someone told me that this model starts to have lockup problems after three years, but these locks happen in such specific, reproducible circumstances that I almost can't believe it's a hardware issue.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Did they fix the error where your entire computer hardlocks if you try to download an .mp3/.mp4 through Chrome? Please tell me they did, it's incredibly annoying and prevents me from using Feedly at all in Chrome, and now Feedly is giving me a hard time in Opera too :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SouthLAnd posted:

Mine is a Lenovo laptop, also probably about 3+ years old. Win7 HP, i7-720QM, Geforce 240GT, 4GB of ram, and a 240GB HP (Sandforce 2281) based SSD that has been working great for several months now.

Hey man, just wanted to let you know that I updated to the newest version of Chrome (29.0.1547.57 m) and 36 hours later I haven't had any hiccups with downloading .mp3 files. Get the newest version and let me know if that fixed your problems.

E: Oops, I clicked a direct link to an mp3 and got a hard lock, even after I closed the page. At least Feedly doesn't seem to be acting up anymore?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 25, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
When browsing with Chrome, it likes to go through fits where pages will lock up and blame an unresponsive or crashed Adobe Shockwave Flash for causing it. Googling around led me to learn that Chrome has its own built-in Flash plugin, and that by disabling either Chrome's Flash or the external Flash plugin, one can fix this. I did and things were working great for a while, but now the problem has started up again and I only have one plugin for Adobe Flash Player :negative: And the ultimate irony, I can't get onto Adobe's website to download a new version because it causes another Flash lockup. Chrome version 39.0.2171.95 m, Adobe Flash Player version 16.0.0.235, Adobe Shockwave Player version 12.1.5r155. Any ideas, or any more info needed from me?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Avast is giving me a bunch of Chrome-related malware warnings on my fiancee's laptop, and I can't seem to root them out so I'm just going to uninstall and reinstall Chrome on her machine. Is there a way to preserve her bookmarks and other settings to bring into her new install?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have no idea what would be the correct thread for this but I'll try it here: My parents want us to collect the family's Christmas lists into a Google Docs spreadsheet for ease of access and sharing. They also said that doing so makes it easier for people to communicate who's purchased what for whom. BUT, if everyone has access to the whole sheet and can see everything, then that kind of spoils the fun. I'm wondering if there's a way we can have one sheet with a tab for each person's list, where a given user is restricted from seeing their own tab. I know we could just as easily make one discrete sheet for each person's list and then just not share it with that person, but one sheet with tabs seems like a more elegant solution if possible. Is it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I fired up Chrome this morning and every was suddenly 20% larger, both in the UI and in the sites I visit. I know how to scale page sizes up/down but how the heck do I scale the UI?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is this the thread for complaining about Google's application suite (Drive, Photos, Calendar etc.)? Need some help understanding how I can download 800 MB of pictures off of Photos, then delete them off of Photos and still have the same amount of remaining storage space in my Google Drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

jokes posted:

Does it go into a Recycle bin?

It does, but Google claims that files in Trash don't count towards storage during their 60-day purgatory. I suppose they could just be lying to me.

There was also an instance where I downloaded about 700 MB of pictures, then when I went to delete them Google claimed that I'd be getting back about 12 MB in space. I can see the size of the .zip file that these pictures were in, please stop lying to my face!