Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
:siren:To re-enable your ad-blocking extension: Enter "chrome://apps" into the address bar, right-click on Youtube, select "Remove from Chrome":siren:You should also switch to uBlock Origin if you haven't already, it's much faster and more effective.

:siren: Posting about a problem you're having? :siren: Please post the version and channel (stable, beta, dev, or Canary*) that you're running. Also, remember to disable any extensions you're running and any about ://flags that you have enabled to see if that solves your issue.

Google Chrome is a web browser. It was first released by Google in September 2008, which was also when the last thread was made. Since then, Chrome has blown through 16 major point releases, with silent, automatic updates every few weeks (a strategy now being used by Mozilla for Firefox 5+). Chrome is a WebKit-based browser (the same rendering engine used in Apple's Safari and Google's Android browser), and is at the forefront of supporting new web standards as they are drafted.

It totally owns, and recently surpassed Internet Explorer 8 as the world's most popular browser version according to StatCounter.

You can get it here for Windows, Mac, and Linux. There's also a beta version here, if you like being on the cutting edge, though make sure that if you need help in this thread that you say that you're running the beta channel. There's also a "dev channel" you may hear about, but please don't run that - it's not meant for end-users, and causes a ton of problems.

What's new in Chrome

Since Chrome's initial release, it's undergone some huge changes. Here's the major hits:
  • The Chrome Web Store is a new portal to Chrome themes, extensions, and most importantly, Chrome Apps. Chrome Apps are, essentially, web applications that have an icon on your New Tab page. While some are essentially just bookmarks, many Chrome apps store content locally, use Google Checkout or In-App Purchases for payments, and/or use advanced HTML/JS features or Chrome browser features. Check out the recommended apps & extensions list below for rad stuff you can get through the store.

• Chrome's resource blocking API for extensions is finally nearing release. This may sound super boring, but when this is released, Chrome will finally have AdBlock that can block ads from loading entirely, instead of just hiding them.

• ChromeOS and Chromebooks are out. They are loving terrible. Ignore them.

• Google Native Client - Native Client (NaCl) is a technology by Google that allows native C/C++ code to execute in a sandboxed (secure) environment in a web browser, meaning that advanced poo poo can run blazing fast. It's very, very new, and very few applications utilize it. It's currently only available to apps on the Chrome Web Store, such as Bastion.

Recommended Apps & Extensions

Apps
  • Bastion - This indie game was the darling of many critics, and can be played entirely through a web browser using Google's Native Client technology.
  • Angry Birds - I mean, you can get this poo poo on some televisions at this point, of course it's a Chrome app. Full HTML5, offline play, in-app-purchases for levels (?)
Extensions
  • uBlock Origin is the best and fastest ad blocker.
  • Adblock Plus - There's a few AdBlock extensions for Chrome; I've always had success with this one. ABP and Ad Block both suck now
  • RSS Subscription Extension - adds an RSS button in the address bar, similar to the one in Firefox, you can use to subscribe to articles in Google Reader and a few other services.
  • SALR for Chrome - Adds a bunch of cool stuff to SA, just like SALR on Firefox.
  • Fancy SA Forums - userstyle that makes the forums a little more modern, styled like the front page

I know the app and extension lists are kinda bare at the moment, feel free to post more in the thread and I'll add 'em to the OP.

* please don't actually run Canary. I mean the most recent Canary build actually broke the concept of "var a = b = c" in JavaScript. It is not even remotely stable.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

I'll just say that I've been running dev since basically the begining, and other than a week where I couldn't load my ticketing system at work (RT) I've had no major problems.

Chromium is what's not for end users, dev just kind of lives in between that and beta, though closer to beta than Chromium.

What do you gain from running dev, though? And I remember the last thread being full of people on dev complaining about sites not rendering correctly, extensions breaking, etc.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Dogen posted:

Oh god beta just jumped to 17 what happened to the + on my new tab button :ohdear:

Seriously anything cool in 17?

Chrome 17 beta release notes: http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2012/01/beta-channel-update.html

quote:

• New Extensions APIs - Chrome's WebRequests APIs that allow extensions (i.e. Adblock, Noscript) to block incoming requests are now out of the experimental namespace! :toot:
  • Updated Omnibox Prerendering
  • Download Scanning Protection
  • Many other small changes

Blog post: http://chrome.blogspot.com/2012/01/speed-and-security.html

quote:

Speed and Security

Today’s Beta release improves on two of Chrome’s core principles: speed and security.

One of the things people like best about Chrome is that it loads web pages quickly. To get you where you want to go even faster, Chrome will now start loading some web pages in the background, even before you’ve finished typing the URL in the omnibox. If the URL auto-completes to a site you’re very likely to visit, Chrome will begin to prerender the page. Prerendering reduces the time between when you hit Enter and when you see your fully-loaded web page--in some cases, the web page appears instantly.

On the security front, improvements to Chrome’s Safe Browsing technology should help protect you from additional types of malware attacks. Previously, Chrome focused primarily on protecting you from sites that would exploit your computer with no user interaction required. Now, we’re seeing an increase in malicious websites that try to convince you to download and run a file that will harm your computer. Some websites even pretend this malicious file is a free anti-virus product.

To help protect you against malicious downloads, Chrome now includes expanded functionality to analyze executable files (such as “.exe” and “.msi” files) that you download. If a file you download is known to be bad, or is hosted on a website that hosts a relatively high percentage of malicious downloads, Chrome will warn you that the file appears to be malicious and that you should discard it. We’re starting small with this initial Beta release, but we’ll be ramping up coverage for more and more malicious files in the coming months. Remember, no technical mechanism can ever protect you completely from malicious downloads. You should always be careful about which files you download and consider the reputation of their source.

Try out these changes in the new Chrome Beta--we look forward to hearing your feedback. As always, please keep in mind that the Beta channel inherently comes with more bugs and kinks to work out.

As for the new tab button, no idea.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:siren: CHROME 17 IS OUT YALL :siren:

I hear it already: "pfft, just another Chrome version."

Well guess what guys? This one has REAL RESOURCE BLOCKING. Finally, Firefox-quality AdBlock and NoScript capabilities for everyone! No more "load-then-hide," now extensions can actually keep poo poo from loading. I use ABP for Chrome and it seems to be working in that regard already.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Neat poo poo coming up in Chrome: http://www.chromium.org/developers/meet-the-web-platform-companion

Mostly nerd poo poo for web developers, but what's cool for all users:
  • Web Intents - standardizes APIs for web apps. This makes it easier for web apps to communicate between each other. For example, with there being 5000 Dropbox competitors now, in the future they'll all be able to share one "Save" API that web apps can use to save to your web storage.
  • Push notifications
  • WebCam support in native HTML! One of the last big holdouts for Flash.
  • Motherfucking GamePad support. No, seriously. There's gonna a Draft Recommendation and everything: https://wiki.mozilla.org/GamepadAPI

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

While this would be terrible in most applications, in Chrome I actually like how every now and then when I start it up something totally new is there. The new Mac version has new little back/forward trackpad gesture indicators. Not sure if I like them more than the old ones, and I don't really know why they needed new ones, but sure, why not, Chrome? :3:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

unruly posted:

Probably a userscript that adds
code:
img { max-width: 100% }
to the page, but none off the top of my head.

Fancy SA Forums does this, among other things, though it's a bit glitchy (sometimes it doesn't autogenerate the link to the bigger image, though you can still right click -> open image in view tab to see it). I can see about breaking it out into its own userscript, I guess.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

kri kri posted:

Install SA Fancy Forums, should be in the OP

Fancy Forums is neat but overkill if you just need to fix TIMGs. Use this if that's all you need.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

nexus6 posted:

I do use Google reader, I should have clarified: chrome doesn't have native subscription options. Firefox detects RSS feeds and asks me if I want to add it to Google reader, chrome just opens the xml file.

Yeah, it's maybe the weirdest omission in a Google product I can think of. They have the most popular RSS reader in the world, you'd think they would have built in RSS support. But hey, it's not like Google's ever been working as a unified force.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

If it works in incognito mode (which disables extensions by default), try disabling all your extensions and see if that fixes it. If it does, re-enable them one by one until you figure out which one is causing the problem.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

bazaar apparatus posted:

Apologies if this has already been asked, but is there an extension that will allow you to highlight text and it will tell you what font that text is in?

You can always right click -> Inspect Element, and then look in the "Styles" section on the sidebar for a font or font-family rule, like this:
http://cl.ly/190a1Q0k053B1J1m0B1z

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

(efb :v:)

Chrome can also auto-discover search fields on a lot of sites. I don't have a YouTube keyword defined, but I can type "you<tab>" and search YouTube:

Mak0rz posted:

Excellent. Thanks!

Another question about search engines: The browser seems to be picking up certain sites I visit and adding it to the list. What determines whether or not a site is added (I noticed Dictionary.com was added, while Amazon.ca wasn't)? Are they in some sort of repository?

From http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/common-google-chrome-objections/:

quote:

Just in case you’re curious, the auto-search-discovery is triggered by search fields on the root page of the domain. I don’t have a search field on the root page of my domain (www.mattcutts.com), so if I go to www.mattcutts.com/blog/ and do a search there, Google Chrome won’t learn the autocomplete-with-the-Tab key trick. Instead, I would need a search box on www.mattcutts.com for the Tab key to learn to search (it’s also good to use standard POST HTML submits instead of anything too fancy like JavaScript). If that sounds too hard, there’s an easy solution for you: Google Chrome supports OpenSearch discovery too.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 25, 2012

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Obviously, SA Webkit Fix is unnecessary now. If anyone here happens to use Fancy SA Forums, it has some old TIMG fix code that kinda fucks up the new script. I'll push out a fix in the next few days (with Amber YOSPOS stylesheet built in, because it's easier on the eyes :v:)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Yesss!

I guess it's too much to expect a Safari version of Fancy?

Hm, maybe. Didn't think there was really a demand for it. I'll take a look at it, I guess; it shouldn't be too hard to port over the Chrome extension but I have no idea how Safari handles content scripts, etc. Will probably post a new thread if I release a Safari version :)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

kri kri posted:

I can't use the vanilla forums any more after using fancy forums, anal since they fixed the timg thing can you just remove that from the extension? I don't even know if it needs removing, mostly I just wanted to say thank you for making the extension and I will continue to use it.

Yeah I was gonna do this and then

So it might be a bit.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Magicmat posted:

Is there any way to set up URL shortcuts? I'm constantly loading, say, my Google Calendar and since Chrome doesn't show the bookmark bar (which I kinda like), I usually navigate to it via the address bar.

Ideally, I'd like to just type 'gcal' and have it open http://www.google.com/calendar .

I can, of course, use the autocomplete suggestions, but 'Calendar' shows up in a lot of URLs, and starting by typing 'google.com' obviously also brings up a lot of URLs.

I have a bookmark named "GCal" and if I type 'gcal' into the address bar, it will show up as one of the auto-complete results. But it's the third option down, and I have to manually select it. If I just type 'gcal <enter>', it will search Google for 'gcal'.

Here's a kinda weird but at least hella easy way you can do it:

Go to Settings, and under the Search heading, click "Manage Search Engines."
Scroll down to the bottom of the "Other Search Engines" list, and add this entry:

Typing in "gcal" should now show "Google Calendar" as the first entry in the address bar.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Fancy SA Forums just got hella boned by recent stylesheet changes. Working on it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

dumbmrblah posted:

double vision whoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxKCPjcvbys

The last minor update for Fancy SA still hasn't gotten Web Store approval, so the fixed version may take a few extra days.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm sure ChooGooGaJoob Choochacacko would love to do a serious forums redesign, but there's a lot of other stuff on his plate right now. He actually sent me a message asking if there were any small changes he could make to the site to make my extension work better :3:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Regarding the fixed Fancy - can't you just host the extension somewhere or does Google require everything to be installed through the store and signed or something?

This is what I'll do if it's not out of approval hell by the time I'm done working on it. Right now, 0.12 is going through, which was uploaded a few days ago before all of these changes. I assume once it gets approved the next versions won't need approval (Web Store in general doesn't need approval, which is why it's so weird that it wanted it now - I wonder if it's a thing they do depending on the security permissions an extension requests or what?), so 0.13 should hopefully be right after it.

If it does end up stuck in approval, then I'll release the CRX file elsewhere. It won't automatically update, but it'll work just fine otherwise.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Pushed the Fancy SA Forums update (0.13), which is fixed for the new forums HTML, as well as adding the ability to collapse the top header banner (there's a little link in the upper-right corner to toggle it).

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

n0n0 posted:

This might be a stupid question, but how do I upgrade from .12? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall?

Clicking "Update Extensions Now" at the top of the Extensions page should do it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Rirse posted:

Is there a way to turn off auto resize on the images? Having this problem on SA again. I thought it was fixed in the other SA Chrome app, but now they are getting resize again and putting a really annoying text below each image saying it was resize.

That's (probably, unless another Chrome extension has started doing it) Fancy SA Forums. It does that to avoid table breaking, but I can understand why it would be really annoying in some situations (Let's Plays especially).

Next version of Fancy SA will probably let you toggle it on/off; it's kinda glitchy anyways (fails to adds links to the full-size image *a lot* of the time for some reason).

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ICA posted:

To clarify, I want something to remove the little bit of text that appears when I mouse-over a link or image, like this-

I was bored, this extension should work, with caveats.

http://cl.ly/1Z382Q1I420Z292R2e40

Removes tooltips (the title attribute) from images and links. Doesn't work for everything, like elements dynamically created on a page after the initial load.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not sure about that specific issue, but it does remind me of a good tip for OSX users:

If you have multiple Flash entries in chrome://plugins, disable all but the one in the "/Applications/Google Chrome.app" path (which should be the most current). This will cut down heavily on Flash memory leaks and increase performance (especially when switching tabs while a Flash video is playing).

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Anyone having issues with web fonts not loading in Chrome OSX stable (Version 21.0.1180.79)? I'm getting fallback fonts on The Verge and the icon font used for files on GitHub aren't loading at all, so it's more than just an issue with one site. It doesn't seem like the CSS files aren't loading; it's just not using the fonts for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Yep, you want this:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/rss-subscription-extensio/nlbjncdgjeocebhnmkbbbdekmmmcbfjd