Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there anyway to stop SA continuously building up in RAM?

Closing the tab and reopening it fixes it, but is it normal for things to build up in that way?

I don't think it's any extensions, adblock's disabled for SA because I have the no ads upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

withak posted:

Is there a way to keep some preferences computer-specific? I want to Adblock forums avatars on my computer at work but not on my computer at home. This is for perfectly legitimate reasons, not relating to slacking off at all.

I don't believe so but I just disable them in the forum options and then switch them back on at home. It's only like 3/4 clicks.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Are there any good Youtube recentering extensions? The I've been using for a long while only centers the video now, but the title, description, and comments are shoved to the left like the newer layout.

Wouldn't mind this either. It's and odd design decision.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

david mammoth posted:

Apparently the Chrome imgur extension, which was probably my most used extension in the years I've used Chrome, has been unpublished. :( Anyone know what the best alternative is?

I saw that when Chrome sync failed to install it on my new PC. Search the Chrome Store for Imgur and click extensions, it's the top one. Pretty much identical.

I'd link it but I'm on my phone.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Nevermind

101 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 5, 2014

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Guy Axlerod posted:

I have it set to open the new tab page. I even tried toggling it to something else, and then back to new tab page.

I closed the browser, and when I reopened it, that thread came right up.

Are you on a Mac by any chance?

How to Disable Auto Resume

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Che Delilas posted:

Never mind about certain zoom levels fixing it. It's entirely dependent on the subforum you're in (the active hover area appears to differ depending on which letters are being displayed).

It doesn't seem to be working for me here in SH/SC

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I've had that too. It's a minor annoyance but annoying nonetheless

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Anyone else having ads play on YouTube? I have uBlock, adblock, and the latest beta of Chrome.

Well first I'd disable adblock in case there was some sort of conflict, then I'd make sure all the uBlock filters were up to date then I'd restart Chrome and see if the problems fixed.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Highlighting multiple paragraphs got a lot nicer in the latest beta (Windows & Mac, from what I can tell)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Trabant posted:

No clue how I could have gotten this. Haven't had a problem like this in... can't remember if I ever have, really. I'm not in the habit of clicking on random things online

It's weird seeing this because I got malware for the first time ever this week. Only thing I'd recently downloaded was a Netgear driver. Reinstalling was a relatively painless process though (made easier by having multiple hard drives)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Any tips for ensuring it doesn't happen again? I mean I had Malwarebytes Premium (just cause the student discount made it really cheap) but clearly that didn't stop it. I haven't even bothered reinstalling it since it was such a CPU hog

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Rexxed posted:

Since you don't know how it happened there's no way to guarantee it won't happen again. That said, the best prevention these days send to be browser protection because there are so many exploits that get through from the web browser.

You should have an ad blocker like ublock origin at the minimum because banner ads with malicious scripts are a big problem. If you want to get more extreme there's active content blockers like script safe or umatrix that require a lot more interaction to use but will definitely keep most things from running. You give up a lot of usability for the advantages of them but they are pretty useful. Things like privacy badger are useful to cut down on tracking but aren't as important for preventing malware.

I guess I'll just be vigilant and maybe take backups so I can always role back to pre-malware. I already use uBlock Origin and I'd rather not completely butcher web pages with those others if I can help it

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
New YouTube has a built in dark theme. You can find it from the menu at the top right when you press your avatar

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Javid posted:

I've been using it for so long I forgot Youtube isn't actually dark themed.

It actually does have a dark theme now. It’s under your avatar at the top right

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Since I'm using Chrome and you guys are talking about it maybe someone in here can help me with this. Got no replies in the technical thread

101 posted:

This seems like potentially the best place to ask this question but if it isn't let me know and I'll snip it.

This is an issue I'm having with the userstyle 'Something Awfully Wronger?' which is basically a dark theme for the forums.

For some reason every fourth post I get this annoying little bit of whitespace poking through

I've tried poking around in the css with Stylus myself but I can't seem to figure out.

I know:
  • I only notice it on Macs so it might be a retina issue.
  • It only happens on unread posts. If half a page is read that part won't be affected and it will start four posts down from the first unread one.
  • It's unrelated to SALR or the font userstyle I user

Any help from someone who knows css would be really appreciated.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

CampingCarl posted:

I realize there likely isn't a universal solution but are there any good options for adding dark modes to sites that don't have one built in?

I tend to use Stylus on a case by case basis but I believe there's one that'll smart invert stuff for you on all sites

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
You’ve gotta figure the author that sells can expect that to happen at this point. Less scummy thing would be to let an extension that becomes unnecessary die, I reckon

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Crotch Fruit posted:

So what you're trying to tell me is that this:

does not exist on the internet?

Maybe a simpler solution would just be to show her what the extensions dialogue box looks like and not to click 'add to Chrome' because some random website tells her to and also not to install things in general when you're not there. That would take all of about 2 minutes.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Woebin posted:

Why is vanilla Chrome even anyone's default browser at this point? It just seems to be getting worse.

For me it's literally because scrolling feels weird and off in Firefox compared to Chrome on Windows.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Lambert posted:

Disable smooth scrolling in Firefox.

but then it's a jumpy mess that still doesn't feel like Chrome

Woebin posted:

I mean, in addition to Lambert's suggestion to disable smooth scrolling, there are tons of other Chromium-based browsers you could use that aren't pulling a lot of the poo poo Google is. Vivaldi's great these days, for instance.

That's a fair point. I might give Vivaldi a try for a few days

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there any way to disable this type of autofill/autocomplete? The kind that uses the history of what you've previously searched

I know how to delete individual ones but I just want it off altogether

I swear I didn't used to have it happen but now I can't find a way to disable it

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cugel the Clever posted:

Chrome explicitly disregards the spec on the attribute to disable such auto-fill nonsense, so you're somewhat at their whims on that, unfortunately.

There's a long thread in the Chromium bug forums about it.

So has it always been like that and I've just started noticing? Weird

Does Firefox let you disable them?

MrMoo posted:

Generally the mechanic is supposed to be:
HTML code:
<input type="text" autocomplete="off">
It will err if you have a form with multiple elements that trigger a form-completion for an address or similar. So try to wrap the element with its own <form> tags, noting you cannot nest forms.

What? Is this how to disable them in web development? 😅

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Klyith posted:

Also there's Vivaldi which is chrome-based and doesn't collect personal data. That is my main recommendation for a browser for people that prioritize privacy, as it's good and isn't run by buttcoin libertarians. (But it has a different UI, which you may or may not like.)

Brave is open source and prioritises privacy though. Surely that puts it above Vivalid when you can just not enable the crypto stuff

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cugel the Clever posted:

Though I haven't dived into the details, what I've read about Brave and Eich sets off my BS detector. Even if I were to set aside Eich's anti-gay bigotry (which he still holds to, AFAIK?), if I hear anyone evangelizing tech X or Y like it's the second coming of Christ, I'm going to back away slowly. Now obviously you're not doing that, but that's what I've seen from randos on social media.

Edit: is there meaningful substance to their privacy relative to their peer browsers? The way it's tauted, again, comes of as marketing mumbo-jumbo intended to rope paranoiacs into the user base.

Of course, it's not fair to judge anything by its most diehard fans, but I haven't seen any more reasonable takes to balance them out.

jokes posted:

The bigger offender is that when you use Brave you'll be helping a bigot make money (unless he's switched to being a good person like so many bigots with money totally do all the time for sure yep lol)

Huh. I didn't know about this and it upsets me.

Seems like it happened in 2008 which I suppose was a pretty different time socially for LGBT stuff in America right? Like Obama was anti-gay marriage then and then flipped on it.

There's also this which sounds quite sincere and apparently there's quite a few LGBT employees under him at Brave.

I mean one of my favourite authors (Brandon Sanderson) said some blatantly homophobic poo poo in 2007 and I sincerely believe has since confronted those views. Religion does some questionable poo poo to people.

I don't really know how to feel about this. Maybe I should check out Vivaldi...

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Klyith posted:

Basically my personal take on the cryptocurrency thing is that it says to me that Brave is run by grifters. They've already done some super griftery things like their donation scam and redirects on addresses. If I used Brave, how long will it be before the grift is turned on me? The people making it have demonstrated themselves to not be honest. That's why I won't use it and would not tell other people to use it.

And then there's the politics of Eich which are still techbro libertarian even if his stance on LBGT issues has improved.

Finally, my general take on the data collection issue with google is that Chrome is pretty much the last thing to get rid of. Google is probably collecting your data no matter what browser you're using, because google is goddamn ubiquitous on the internet. They have 100 ways to track and data-collect from us, and Chrome is the least of it. Here are things you need to do besides not using Chrome, if you don't want google watching you:
• not having a google account (or not browsing anywhere else while logged into your google account + cleaning cookies & local storage after logging out)
• not having an android phone, or at least minimizing your phone use
• not watching videos on youtube (or treating youtube the same as a google account as above)
not using google to search
• having ublock & privacy badger (or some other even more strict tracking-blocker) installed on your browser

Ditching Chrome and continuing to interact with Google every time you touch the internet is putting your head under a blanket. Ditching Chrome for other reasons, or a mix of privacy and other reasons, is great. But if your concerns are 100% privacy there's a whole lot of other stuff to do.

Yeah this is all completely fair. This post honestly has me thinking I might just go back to vanilla Chrome. They already have me anyway since I don't like Firefox and can't get along with any other search engine other than Google. Plus every web dev targets Chrome so I'll likely run into less weird edge case issues.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Malloc Voidstar posted:

So what's the best near-Chrome browser? ungoogled-chromium?

I really like Brave but it's not too popular round here. Once you switch their 'earn crypto by opting into ads' stuff off which is like two toggles in the settings it's the best browser I've used and they seem to listen to their community.

Also the best browser for privacy out of the box I believe and it's open source

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

wooger posted:

Yep, 100% of my iOS YouTube usage is via Brave, official app uninstalled. PiP for YouTube is transformative, amazing that they still specifically block it, even in the official app.

Brave on iOS also blocks YouTube ads perfectly by default, and has an integrated cross-site video playlist feature. Even paid YouTube premium lacks a basic playlist feature.

I believe there's some iOS Safari extensions that can force PiP on all video sites since iOS 15. Seems like you're happy with Brave but just fyi

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yikes for Edge

https://twitter.com/thezedwards/status/1465420945670041601

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Does anyone know of an extension or userscript that lets you highlight text on pages that try to block you from doing so?

Sounds like StopTheMadness would fix that but it's macOS only if that's an issue

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Boris Galerkin posted:

I tried those flags and they didn’t do poo poo.

gently caress this loving poo poo, I just imported all my poo poo into loving EDGE and put in a tech ticket to uninstall Chrome on my work PC.

Just FYI, you've moved from one trashfire to another, imo.

If you want a Chromium browser, use Brave if you're on Windows and Arc if you're on macOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Deviant posted:

Wondering about this too. What are people switching to now that Chrome continues to get worse?

Arc (can't speak for the Windows beta) and Firefox are the best two