Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I got tired of SA threads that have a bunch of inlined videos making the browser hang terribly, so I made an extension to make inline YouTube videos on the forums ultra lightweight -- it loads the video thumbnail as a regular image and overlays a play button and the video title on top, and defers creating the actual video player until you click on it. Posting it here in case anyone else finds it useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Pilsner posted:

Neat, although you can also just toggle the option "Show video embedded in posts with the [video] tag?" on SA in your User Control Panel -> Edit Options. I just see the link with a tiny movie icon next to it.

PS: You wrote "browser hands" instead of hangs on your extension description.

I like seeing the video thumbnails inline. Dumb as it may be, I'll often decide whether or not I want to watch a video based on the thumbnail image.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

yaoi prophet posted:

But my gigabytes :byodood:

If Chrome's using a lot of memory it's your own drat fault for putting all that memory in the system in the first place.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Conquistador posted:

Why did they put a search bar there if you can just use the address bar? I don't really even mind it it just seems kinda funky

And that's not even mentioning the inconsistency that it actually removes the search bar from result pages on google.com with the apparent expectation that the address bar is Good Enough For Everybody. It's like they just threw in two completely incompatible ideas for the hell of it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Riso posted:

Apple and MS have different approaches to font rendering. Apple wants them to look as good as they would printed and MS only cares about looking good on the screen.

To dig into this in a little more detail:

Apple's approach, which was actually much harder to read for a very long time, ends up being more vindicated with each passing year as more devices come out with higher DPI displays. They've always rendered the text true to the font, whether or not it matched up well with on screen pixels; an approach that was very consistent, but on low DPI displayed people complained it looked "blurry".

Microsoft's approach made for much more readable text on low DPI displays (like the typical desktop monitor), by tweaking letters at lower sizes so they'd align better with the display's pixel grid and by making use of the display's subpixels for more precise rendering (ClearType). That decision is why Windows has a hard time on high-DPI displays, because that tweaking changes the metrics of the font, so when the target DPI scaled up or down, the size of the text doesn't scale smoothly (individual letters get wider or narrower at a different rate than the actual DPI scaling so they can continue to fit cleanly to the pixel grid) and as a result stuff starts getting clipped off, or overlapping.

DirectWrite is Microsoft's way of splitting the difference. They still try to align to the pixel grid, but not at the expense of proper scaling. As a result, text tends to render a little more "blurry" like what Apple's rendering looks like on low DPI displays, but not to the same extent. DirectWrite is also faster, as it takes advantage of GPU acceleration; and it has much improved support for rendering international Unicode constructs and for fonts that have ligatures (things like "fi" rendering as a single glyph).

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Easy way to verify it would be to go to Chrome's extensions page (chrome://extensions/ -- copy/paste it, can't link to it) and uncheck the "Enabled" checkbox next to the Lastpass extension, then browse around a little bit. If you're still slow, then Lastpass isn't the culprit (and you can re-enable it).

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Buck Turgidson posted:

Why is Chrome suddenly autohiding my Windows Taskbar and how do I make it stop? I'm not in the F11 fullscreen mode and other browsers (IE and FF) don't autohide the taskbar. I've restarted and the issue is still there. On Windows 7.

The taskbar will automatically hide itself if there's a window on the desktop that's sized the same resolution as the screen. Try resizing your browser window down a little bit and see if the problem goes away.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Does anyone know if Google's App-Specific passwords will expire when you reset the main password on an account?

They do not. They're only revoked through the App-Specific passwords page in your security profile.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

wooger posted:

This is actually amazing, as it makes it clear that profiles exist to the 99% of people that don't know. Also, if you enable the flag for it, you can finally lock your chrome profile now (requires Google password).

Real Chrome pros use a second profile instead of incognito mode. You know, when shopping for gifts.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Since they hired some actual designers and stopped letting the engineers create the user interfaces. They actually have a consistent design language now!

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
You're right. Chrome extensions can only add and manage their own context menu items, they can't remove any of the stock, built-in items.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

OhFunny posted:

This initially came as a surprise to me, but I can see why they would do this. I abandoned mobile Chrome do to the annoying ads I was seeing.

Because if they don't have an ad blocker, users will install one, or switch to a different browser with one. By building in their own ad blocker, they get to control it and can pull an ABP and decide to let "acceptable ads" (read: Google's ads) through. Just block the annoying poo poo, which Google's never really served up anyway, and users will more than likely be content with it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Amppelix posted:

E: And, actually it's not doing that to me right now. I wonder if this is a flag or setting I've triggered at some point?

There's a setting in Windows to not apply the accent color to title bars. Chrome won't use if if you have that setting set. It also won't apply the accent color if you're using a Chrome Theme, since it'll use the theme colors instead.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
This works on album pages to get a list of URLs. You could extend this and put it in a userscript to format as necessary and copy to the clipboard (https mangled to xttps to stop the forums from inserting BBCode):

code:
window.runSlots.item.album_images.images.map(i => `xttps://i.imgur.com/${i.hash}.jpg`)
For gallery pages, you could just rewrite the page to an album link (replace "gallery" with "a" in the URL) and then do the same.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

nexus6 posted:

I'd be interested to know how this works - what is window.runSlots?

It's a variable created by the Javascript that imgur uses to run their album pages. Since they're creating it on the window object (as opposed to it being a Javascript variable within a function scope), any other arbitrary script can read it off the window object too.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

nexus6 posted:

Cool - did you already know that existed or did you reverse-engineer it?

Just did a View Source on the page, found the Javascript where all the album images were being defined, and lucked out that they were storing it in a globally-accessible place and not hiding it in a function closure.

nexus6 posted:

Edit: It seems on gallery pages window.runSlots is undefined

Yeah, gallery pages are a bit more of a problem because it seems they do hide their data within closures. I didn't devote a whole lot of time to digging into them though, since you can just change the gallery URL to an album URL and get the data that way.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
It's probably an ad-blocker extension doing it. Chrome on its own won't close tabs unexpectedly, even if the tab crashes it'll display an Oh Snap page. Any sort of 'virus' would only be on one device, and Chrome syncs your extensions between devices.

Should be easy to test by opening a guest profile window, which won't have any extensions running in it, and see if the problem occurs there.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Yeah rather than allowing the user to take control over a site's content they much prefer building an arcane algorithm that determines whether or not a tab is allowed to make sound until you click on it because there hasn't been a problem discovered yet that Googlers won't throw a bad algorithm at.

Chromium Edge has mute tab. Just sayin'.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Javid posted:

I'm not wanting to completely nuke javascript, just disable that specific class of popup so the x button on the tab jumps directly to closing it

You can use this Tampermonkey userscript. Just modify the @match line to point to the URL you want to block unload prompts for (you can use * as a wildcard in the URL). You can add additional @match lines to apply the script to multiple different pages.

Note that Tampermonkey in Chrome has some inconsistency with loading scripts at document-start; so this script might randomly fail to block the dialog in the event a page gets in and hooks up the beforeunload event on the page before the userscript can get in there and hook it. If this is a problem, you can make it a little more consistent in by going into Tampermonkey's advanced settings and changing "Inject Mode" to "instant".

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

And you need to set some flag to hide that loving Bing button that'll open a flyout toolbar whenever you accidentally graze it with your cursor.

You used to have to hide it through Group Policy, but there's a regular setting to hide the ugly Bing button now (which, lol, you can't use the setting search to find).
Settings > Sidebar > App specific settings > Bing Chat > Show Bing Chat

Edge was, for a brief shining moment, very close to actually being the best browser available; but Microsoft couldn't exhibit an ounce of self-restraint to resist piling bullshit onto it and now it's a browser you should never ever touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I haven't seen Chrome crashes or anything, but I have seen particularly annoying performance issues (usually during initial rendering of a new page load) that hang not just Chrome, but the entire Windows video system to the point that even the mouse pointer stops moving for a short bit while Chrome finishes whatever hell its unleashing onto the GPU.