Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

MrHyde posted:

This is what a lot of the "apps" in the chrome store are. It's really retarded.

To be fair, a lot of early smartphone apps were really just portals for mobile websites.

I bet most devs/companies are waiting to see if the Chrome store really takes off, then might put some effort into their apps.

But as Bob Morales said, apps for websites make less sense in Chrome than apps on smartphones (where the platform has a disadvantage using the web).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Well that was weird. Looks like Stable hit 18 yesterday but when I booted it up today (still on 17) it crashed and reloaded as if it was newly installed. Synced it back up then noticed 18 was available.

Anyone have Chrome completely forget all settings/extensions/bookmarks/history?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Weird. Maybe it's just my work computer screwing up.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you haven't seen it yet, there's a flag to turn on the new options "Uber" screen.

And by new, I mean slightly tweaked with smoother transitions.

Just another one of those little new things.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 30, 2012

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
A couple of shopping extensions:

Invisible Hand - Pops a bar whenever you view a product that will compare prices on most major e-tailers. Handy instant comparison shopping.

RetailMeNot - Notifies you when available discount codes are available on a given website.

Some other random ones I haven't seen yet posted:

Super Full Feeds for Google Reader - Adds Readability tabs to Google Reader along with some additional options.

Better History - A way better interface for your History screen.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Yaos posted:

I ran Chrome to Mobile and had it send a link to Chrome on my phone, but now I can't get rid of the link on my phone. It sits there mocking me. I can remove other devices but not the "Received from other devices" section. Anybody know how to do it?

If it's an iPhone/iPad, you can press and hold a link and it should pop up a Remove button.

Remove all the links and the section disappears.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else using Chrome to Mobile suddenly lose the built in option?

Chrome used to have a little + sign to either add a bookmark or send to a mobile instance. Now it's returned to the star. Weird.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

I think the buffering stopping is a bandwidth conservation measure so that if you decide to stop watching then it won't have downloaded the entire video unnecessarily.

I can't remember what it was but there was an article about YouTube published recently that went into the changes in how they provide the video feeds. Since they want videos to start playing as soon as possible, vids are broken into really small chunks. This is in contrast to their original "entire vid is available and starts streaming as one chunk" method.

That's why it's hard to rewind (you've selected a previous chunk that's been discarded) and why it doesn't keep downloading the whole vid when you pause (you've finished the current chunk).

I do think it figures out connection speed and adjusts accordingly though.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone having trouble with forum tabs crashing on occasion?

I'm positive it's some ad on the forums locking up Chrome (as reloading works fine and it's happening on different threads) but is anyone else seeing this behavior?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone had the default new tab page completely jumble the frequently visited sites listed?

Suddenly my most visited sites were missing and I hadn't clicked any X's.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

WastedJoker posted:

What the gently caress have they done? Can't even sync with my account with a fresh install.

Could it be that most Google services went down around 2pm EST? They appear to be coming back up now.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Maybe this is a shot in the dark but does anyone know of how to change the language for labels in Google maps?

Checking out the layout of Ukraine today and it's all in Ukrainian and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to change the label language in the new version of Maps.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

For me, it's in both languages by default:

Well, my thing was I want it to say Kiev, not Kyiv.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't understand, it's completely clear what it's referring to, and Kyiv is an accepted English writing of the city name.

Well maybe it's just me in that I've never seen it spelled that way. However, Wikipedia also lists it there so consider me educated.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I didn't see any other relevant ones so here goes:

I've been using Google Hangouts to video call a friend, but I honestly loving hate having the Picture-in-Picture bullshit on screen. I do not need to see my own goony face while talking to people. Is there some way to disable this retarded poo poo? I haven't found loving anything online, no matter what I search for. It's a minor annoyance, obviously, but still annoying.

Uh, how else are you supposed to tell that you are in the camera frame?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it possible to make my bookmarks bar show only the icons? Googling suggests that I have to manually edit each bookmark and delete the title but there must be an option to just "show icons only" isn't there?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to create thinner tabs?

They look too tall in the new design and I'd prefer to have shorter tabs.