Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'll throw in this extension which makes Chrome jump to the last tab you looked at when you close the current one - why this functionality isn't built into the browser I have no idea but there it is.

Also Hover Zoom is swishness and also usually works on TIMGes, although they've seemed to not want to work all the time recently. It's great for browsing in general though, and works on text links too.

chrome://flags has a smooth scrolling option as well which is worth enabling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Readability does that too, with the added bonus that you can email articles to your Kindle as well :3:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You should have a bookmarks bar at the top, with an "Other Bookmarks" folder that contains them all. Not ideal but hey

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm not sure you can without rolling back to an older version of Chrome, it's built-in. You could always try going to Beta if you're on Dev, or even back to Stable, and have a look in chrome://flags and try disabling anything fancy-schmancy with the graphics (GPU compositing and all that stuff)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ohhh interesting, so it's really just a bundled plugin then huh

EDIT: I don't even know if this is the right thread for this, but does anyone know what the hell this is?

That blob appears on my Gmail page all the time, it's always in a different place on the screen when I load Gmail (sometimes it's a while before I spot it, like if it's over my list of emails) and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it. It's like a little shaded circle with a drop shadow, and I just noticed that it blinks if I hit the x key while I'm typing.

What does it want??

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 25, 2012

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

TwoKnives posted:

Have you tried clearing your cache? Does it appear regardless of the theme you use?

I haven't cleared my cache yet but I did some theme checks, and it appears in a couple (including the standard theme). It's not always there immediately but it shows up later

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's style, man.

No it's meant to be that way now - not exactly user-friendly, I guess they're trying to imply that it's another tab waiting to be brought forth into existence or something. What bugs me most is it just looks slightly wrong, something about the curves and the angles doesn't fit with the shape of the tabs

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah probably, it's just that now it's the shape standing on its own as a minimalist design, except it doesn't look good enough to work like that. Kinda looks like a square lemon :goleft:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Wait, Chrome only just got HTTP pipelining?

And drat, there are so many flags to enable these days. Maybe I should try some of the other GPU rendering ones again. If anyone's interested there's a chrome://gpu page that shows you... some stuff

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

myron_cope posted:

Are you talking google search results? Sometimes when I click a link and then hit the back button, a "block all from thisdomain.tld" link comes up. But it doesn't seem to be every link so I don't know what sort of google magic they use to determine when the option is presented

Yeah I think they just changed their mind and incorporated it into google itself. So long as you come back from a linked page quick enough they'll pop up a link (that fades in from red) asking if you want to block that domain.

I'm pretty sure they use the 'how quick you came back from a link' metric in their ranking calculations too, so I guess they're giving you a way to be more definitive about your thoughts on the site

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gyshall posted:

- Tab Mix Plus - on firefox, this extension basically let you do things with tabs. Most importantly, this made new tabs load to the rightmost spot on the tab bar, which I can't live without.

I use this one for switching to your previous tab when you close the current one, it does the rightmost thing too:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ajnianifcggmdojhnmjichjmnjpplcha/details
Why this isn't a basic functionality option I have no idea

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^ If you click Exit on the wrench menu they'll all open next time. If you just click the X they don't though EDIT dammmitttt

unpronounceable posted:

Some people like the current functionality. I remember installing an addon that made tabs open directly beside the current one way back when on firefox.

It's the 'last used' functionality I use it for, which would be a nice option but it makes more sense as the default too. If I switch to a tab and close it, surely I should be back on the previous one, and not whatever random tab happens to be on the far right?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

kri kri posted:

But I can't always remember to hit the Exit!! I wish they had something like a session window, so you could make a shortcut and have all your work / fun tabs pop up in their own window.

I didn't think I could either, but it's pretty much worked out - if you ever accidentally hit the X and go 'wait, poo poo' you can always open a window and click the '34 tabs' or whatever in your recently closed list to get it all back, only works for the last window though. Maybe I'll give that session buddy thing a try

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Honestly weird stuff seems to rarely happen in Beta, usually Dev gets all the glitches and they're caught before they filter down to the later releases. But anyway, have a look in chrome://flags and try enabling the Disable Print Preview one - I don't know if it will actually help but I think it just appeared in this release, so it's worth a try. If not, there's not some automatic 'resize to page' thing enabled is there? If the printout is shrinking it sounds like an output scaling issue

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Anjow posted:

Is there a way of replicating the ctrl+enter / cmd+enter functionality that basically every other browser has? i.e. I put somethingawful into the address bar, press cmd+enter and it puts in the https://www. and .com for me.

It does that - except it has a habit of doing autocomplete instead (like if I type 'you' and do ctrl+return it goes to youtube anyway). The omnibox is the jankiest thing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The Third Man posted:

Is there a gesture extension for Chrome that doesn't gather tracking information? I miss the built-in gestures from Opera, but I don't want to install some addon that is going to sell my browser history...

All extensions come up with a warning about stuff it can access, if that's what you mean. I'm not really sure what good those warnings do anymore, every single extension can access a lot of stuff so constant warnings either make people paranoid or careless

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I just tried it on this:
http://tegenlicht.vpro.nl/afleveringen/2011-2012/Goldman-Sachs-en-de-vernietiging-van-Griekenland.html
And it worked fine on beta - some people recommend clearing your browsing history and cache if it keeps failing. Apparently it uses Flash too, and if you don't have it installed or have some other problem you get a server failure message. Some NoScript-type extensions can cause problems too apparently.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Beta's up to date and fine for me, not that that's much help

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

They probably made a recent tweak that messed it up - for what it's worth it seemed fine when I enabled the lot recently, then I hit one site where scrolling was messed up and I had to turn it off. Seems to work for everything else though (including CSS and SVG) so hey, more things on = good!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

tvgm2 posted:

If you have two windows open with a bunch of tabs in each and close one of them, hitting CTRL+Shift+T will bring the window back along with all the tabs that were in it.

Or you can click on Recently Closed on your New Tab page and there'll be a '10 Tabs' entry or whatever.

But if you click the wrench and choose Exit it'll close all your windows and restore them all next time - not used any pinned tabs but it shouldn't make any difference

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Maybe it's to allow outdated plugins to run anyway without bugging you?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm still getting random Flash crashes (usually with Youtube videos) on Beta so I guess it is!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Karthe posted:

Who's on Dev, who's on Beta, and who's stuck it out with Stable? I've been on Dev since Chrome came out in 2008 but have considered switching to Beta or even Stable now that a lot of Dev features have made it to Stable. I'm also getting annoyed when a new Dev release comes out and breaks something fundamental like tooltips or URL previes.

I've been on Beta the whole time and I've rarely hit any problems. I know people say the same about Dev, but when there are problems they sound pretty annoying, and they tend to be ironed out by the time Beta catches up. Feels like the sweet spot between stability and updates

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

fookolt posted:

Does anyone know why Chrome would load pages so much slower than Firefox or even Internet Explorer? Things that load up instantly on Firefox take minutes on Chrome. I imagine it's some proxy/network setting in Chrome that's loving it up?

Have you got any experimental networking stuff enabled in chrome://flags/ ? Like pipelining, SPDY/3 or asynchronous DNS

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

drat no kidding, I just checked mine and they last updated at the start of February

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

RagingBoner posted:

I can't get Facebook to let me post anything or add comments while using Chrome now. This just started today, anyone else have this issue, or know what might be causing it?

I can't reply to Youtube comments anymore, if that's a related issue (on Beta). I haven't cared enough to go trying other browsers though

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I had that happen with an extension (Focus Last Selected Tab I think, which is meant to do it when you close a tab)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah a bunch of us reported it and it seems to be fixed in the latest update - it was happening on any page with flash and other embedded stuff

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm about to ditch chrome for IE if it doesn't stop not loading webpages. I've turned off "Predict network actions to improve page load performance" and "Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors." I've cleared my cache and restarted my router and my internet works fine for everything else. I'm sick of having to refresh a bunch of times to get the pictures on tumblr to load or get twitter up. I don't know what's causing it and nothing the internet has suggested to fix it has worked.

Why would the DNS lookup keep failing. Why. Why are you doing this chrome.

code:
Enable SPDY/3 Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
Enable experimental SPDY/3.
Disable

Built-in Asynchronous DNS Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
Enable experimental asynchronous DNS client.
Disable
You could go to chrome://flags and turn those off if they're on

libersyber posted:

Has anybody had problems with Chrome 21.0.1180.79 lately? I must have updated to this version a couple days ago and now shockwave flash plugin keeps crashing every few minutes. I can be doing anything and at some point if open a link with any flash content (video, banner, whatever) the tab keeps opening for a minute or two and then I get information that the shockwave flash plugin failed, in all tabs. I need to manually close all tabs and then restart Chrome. If I don't close all the tabs, flash won't work even after restarting. Flash is in version 11.3.31.227.

If that's Beta then it's up to .83 now (and Flash is .230), so try updating and see if things are fixed up

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sort of

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel#TOC-Going-back-to-a-more-stable-channel
(at the bottom)

You might lose some data (like browsing history) and it can't hurt to export your bookmarks first.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You could go to chrome://flags and try setting everything to software rendering, in case there's some driver issue going on, or maybe play with the Canvas stuff

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tried disabling your extensions?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh you mean images are broken? You could try clearing your cache, maybe mess with the options in chrome://flags that relate to DNS or HTTP, in case it's choking on stuff from a particular domain for some reason

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

teagone posted:

Does anyone know why whenever I try to download something, it causes Chrome to poo poo itself when the Save As window comes up? It's been happening consistently for the last few weeks and is kind of annoying. I'm running Windows 8 Pro, so I'm assuming this is some kind of of bug? I've disabled ALL extensions, and Chrome still manages to crap out when the Save As window pops up.

I saw something similar once, it turned out to be a big zip file in the downloads folder that MSE was diving on as soon as the explorer window looked at it, so MSE was hogging the processor and seemingly doing nothing. I don't know what the actual problem was, but moving the file was how I got around it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That sounds like a general internet problem, maybe DNS? If you get a page like that and open Developer Tools in the Tools menu, and go to the network tab, when you load a page you'll get a list of all the items that were loaded and how long it took for each. You can hover over the little graph and get a breakdown for each item, it should give you some clues.

But yeah, was that broken image from imgur? The broken imgur page is a missing stylesheet (.css file) so you might be having trouble reaching their domain. If it's consistent, check with another browser if you can, to see if it's a Chrome issue or just crap internet

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

flatluigi posted:

I get text artifacting like this on text occasionally on a number of different sites. Anyone know the cause?

I'm getting this poo poo now, like on the dropdowns here
http://www.fender.com/community/guitar-tuner/
So maybe it's a Flash issue?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Mine's fine, including the LastPass one (Beta Chrome on Win 7 64-bit) but I notice that little blank window with the white square appears for a split second before the actual content draws. Not massively helpful I know, but it might be a clue.

This might help if someone feels like trying it to see where things are choking:
http://developer.chrome.com/extensions/tut_debugging.html

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It looks like the text just isn't being antialiased, unless there's some other glitching I'm not noticing. I'm not really sure why it would show up on multiple installations on multiple computers, but that's what I'd look into. It's not all the same font is it? (Assuming the other websites are fine because they use some other font)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Do you have Cleartype set up on your computer? None of your text looks antialiased, even on the tabs and the browser UI itself. That doesn't excuse the jankiness, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that Open Sans font is only designed to be smoothed, or if Chrome's rendering relies on it. There's definitely some weird kerning with your replacement font (like having an adjacent de smooshed together), I'm not sure if that's normal though.

I just turned Cleartype off (although you apparently still have to tweak it, so I guess it's not actually 'off' anymore?) to check and it looks awful. It doesn't mess up in the same way but other places look awful (like the URL bar - all uneven thicknesses and weird spacing) so I reckon try turning it on and see how far you get. Might require a restart or something if nothing changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I know this might not be ideal, but in case you didn't know you can open an Incognito window and it will use its own cookies as long as it's open. So you can log into account 1 in your normal window and account 2 in an incognito window, and they won't conflict