Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm guessing it's related to the server sending the wrong Media Type type, so Chrome doesn't know it's a file it can open itself.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf.html

Try those PDF links on there, they open in another tab for me in Chrome Beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mo_Steel posted:

I know this is a few months old but something recently messed with my ability to watch Youtube videos in the last couple weeks. If I switch to HD from a lower res or go to full screen the video will freeze up and the audio jumps backwards 5-10 seconds, then the whole thing resumes playing once the audio catches up. It's really annoying. :(

Anyone know any workarounds? I'm not seeing much recently in my searches, at least nothing that has worked so far. Chrome's gif support seems to have improved of late for me, which is really nice at least.

e: Apparently this might be a Youtube specific thing, they switched to some new streaming format called DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP). Maybe that's what's causing my issue here.

Youtube is absolutely loving atrocious right now. Holy poo poo!!

Actually you're lucky it bothers to switch streams, for me half the time I can use the terrible new resolution switcher button to go HD, and it'll happily pootle along for the rest of the video in 360P without ever switching. You have to wind back manually to give it a kick, and half the time it'll either stay in 360P and permanently mark the better stream as unavailable (when it isn't) or just break entirely and require a reload of the page.

And don't get me started on whatever the hell is going on with the 'social media' side of things

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ultimateforce posted:

I tried to Control-F "Chrome" through the first couple pages of threads and didn't see it.

Is there a Chromebook thread some place?

People talk about them in the netbook thread

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Chrome's history 'functionality' is a pile of wank, so I wouldn't be too surprised

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That looks like it helps with some things, like making search actually useful, but I've had sites I've visited straight-up not appear in my history at all. No incognito mode, no other browser, just not there. This doesn't actually change how history is stored, right?

Also does it affect the omnibar? That's really what I want to work better, I don't want to have to go into history at all if I can help it. The default behaviour is pretty great at giving me everything but what I'm looking for!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Anyone else getting brutal memory leaks on Beta?

Hmm yes

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

joedevola posted:

Background tabs have been acting up for me on my home and work computers for the last couple of months.

Specifically Youtube videos playing in the background will stutter if any other activity is taking place in the same Chrome window, like loading new tabs. I have whatever the most recent official build is because I reinstalled out of desperation on both machines, as well as deactivating all plugins. Nothing helps. The odd thing is if the video is playing in another Chrome window then there's no interference at all, so I don't think it's a problem with either machine's hardware. Fullscreen HD playback has been intermittently choppy too.

Prior to this I had a problem where any Youtube video I opened with a middle click wouldn't load the player. I could hear the audio but there was no videos or controls. That seems to have fixed itself.

I've also noticed in the last few days that half of the tabs I open with a middle click won't load at all, and need to be manually refreshed before anything appears.

I dunno. I don't want to go back to Firefox but between this and all the Google+ bullshit, using Chrome has been loving miserable lately. I just want to know if anyone else has been experiencing this because if so then I trust it'll be remedied eventually.

YouTube has just been a shitstorm lately. I've had a thing lately where you can start on a results list, click a video and have it play, then click back to your results... and the video keeps playing in the background. You can't shut it up. It's like how the Android app can display the video in a mini window while you browse results, except the mini window isn't there.

I've always had glitchy audio performance in the browser too, including Play Music (which I run as a pinned app so it's a separate window) which can freeze or bzzzzt if anything exciting's going on in another program. And lately my SA tab has been running up memory usage of like 1.5GB. The whole thing's bizarre and I honestly don't even know why I keep using it. Fuckin' google's got me reeled in...

On the plus side I'm on beta so you have all this still to come :thumbsup:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Has dev had the issue with the new font rendering flag, where after a while text just starts disappearing and you have to restart the browser? If so, is it fixed? I don't want to turn it off now, I couldn't go back, so I'm hoping for a fix coming down the beta pipe annnnny time now...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Just restart the browser. I can't go back to normal rendering now. I hope you people aren't on dev, I was hoping they'd fixed that by now...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I get weird font poo poo on beta too (like on the SA bookmarks list) that sometimes goes back to normal if I restart Chrome. DirectWrite is turned on. Chrome is just hilariously hosed up in so many ways, there's always something going wrong with it. I don't even know why I still use it, but here I am :/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Think 'like' was meant as 'in the same way as'. I don't know if Google would even sync stuff like that (it's sort of data they don't manage, it could be anything), but can't you back up extension data in your profile folder, or am I misremembering?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I love how Chrome has three release stages (more if you count Canary) and this kind of poo poo still ends up rolling right through into Stable. The improvements are nice when they work, having users running around reconfiguring what used to be fine... not so much

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

So how many people here switch profiles regularly enough to need a massive DEFAULT PROFILE button on the tab bar, if at all? I'm very glad this is here!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Eight Is Legend posted:

Font rendering issues on the latest Chrome version (stable, 32 bit):

I have tried disabling DirectWrite, no help. Looks normal in Firefox and Internet Explorer. Any ideas?

Son, you think that's bad:

FF:

Chrome:

Mmmm readable and fun!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 15, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I kept getting Chrome crashes recently, usually if it was idle or in the background - I'd suddenly notice it was running anymore. Reinstalling did nothing, so I basically wiped everything Google (including things like Drive) and all their stuff in AppData - spring cleaning really. It's been fine since

Also if you're using the Hangouts app you need to close that manually too - if you close Chrome and log off, Hangouts will get kicked out and count as a bad Chrome shutdown. Which is stupid, but there y'go

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Generic Monk posted:

Suggestion: Maybe try not using two-factor if you don't have a second factor and therefore have to rely on hacky workarounds to login to your accounts? Or maybe even buy a smartphone; they're pretty useful. Hell, even an iPod touch would work - they're pretty cheap at this point.

Yeah honestly I don't think you want to go activating two-factor if you don't really know what it is or how it works, seems like a good way to get yourself securely locked out of your account forever

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

MohShuvuu posted:

Is there any way to get the omnibar to be as good at digging through your history as Firefox's Awesome bar is without installing fauxbar?

No it's poo poo by design. You're better off searching the entire internet than your history, you'll find what you're looking for quicker

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

sharktamer posted:

My chrome crashes regularly with the full browser crash and "whoops google chrome crashed do you want to restart?" message. I have no idea how to even start to diagnose this. I'm sure it's some extension I've downloaded, but I have no idea how to get started in identifying what the problem is. Has anyone gone through diagnosing this type of thing before?

I had this and couldn't fix it at all no matter what - usually when the thing was idling in the background, I'd suddenly notice it was gone from the taskbar.

I ended up uninstalling every drat google thing (chrome, google drive), wiping their folders in AppData, getting the latest versions from the website, and reinstalling. It was actually pretty painless since everything was synced, and it seems to have been ok since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

They definitely aren't in your library, right? It's not some matching thing where it decides it doesn't need to actually upload something it already has on its system