Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I was forced back to Firefox once Chrome removed vertical tabs in version 16. I can't stand Firefox, the memory usage gets out of control when I use it the same way I used Chrome. Here is a good workaround on getting them back.

1. Use Chrome sync to backup personal content
2. Uninstall Chrome
3. Install version 16.0.899.0: http://www.oldapps.com/google_chrome.php?old_chrome=6660
4. Disable Chrome updates: http://www.chromefans.org/chrome-tutorial/how-to-disable-google-chrome-automatic-updates.htm
5. Reactivate side tabs and sync to restore data

Then to get rid of the "old profile" error message:

-Open Windows Explorer
-Changed defaults and views, to show list, and to show hidden files, and to show full directory.
then, I browsed to:
-c:\Users\HP\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data
-I deleted the Web Data folder.
-Closed Windows Explorere, Opened Chrome,

edit: here is a cleaned up version of the instructions with more info: http://elementdesignllc.com/2012/01/re-enable-vertical-tabs-on-google-chrome-16/

indulgenthipster fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Purposely using an outdated version of a browser is a pretty dumb thing to do. Not only are you exposing yourself to security issues but you won't get any future performance enhancements either. I suppose you already know that and didn't want the lecture though.

The version I rolled back to is still Chrome 16, just a version before they removed the side tabs. The second they bring back vertical tabs I'm updating to the latest. In the meantime, a couple weeks (or months) behind on something like Chrome isn't that big of a deal.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
This might be off-topic, but the only time I ever use screen capture tools is when using Chrome...

I used to use Jing and Screenpresso, however I stopped using them mainly due to how sluggish they are. Gyazo looks nice, but a lot of the images I take are not meant to be shared. What is everyone's tool of choice?

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

MichiganCubbie posted:

Hey, has anyone had problems with text showing in Chrome? I've been looking for fixes, uninstalled all extensions, reinstalled Chrome, and nothing is working.

This happens to me every once in a while in Gmail. One day I will read an email, then the next I will go back to that email and it's just white text. I end up copy/pasting the text into notepad to read it.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
New dev post regarding side tabs:

quote:

My hope is that ultimately we will add extension-controllable detachable surfaces or similar under the auspices of bug 51084. At that point it will be more feasible to implement a feature like this that has a small but devoted following as an extension.

Until that time, we don't have any plans to re-implement side tabs. There are a number of higher-impact features we're busy working with.

So you take away a feature, have absolutely no alternative, then tell everyone it's not important. Of course there was a small following, you had to not only enable it in flags but then right click a tab and select "Side Tabs". It was very difficult to get going, especially for the average user. My purposely outdated Chrome is breaking extensions, I guess I have no choice other than to update to the latest and try browsing with 20-30 open tabs listed horizontally. Has anyone found a way to manage them like that?

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
It has been over a year now since they took away side tabs, and unfortunately it does not look like they have any plans on bringing them back. I've been using Firefox since but want to switch back to Chrome as soon as possible. Are there any decent extensions that handle side tabs?

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
How do you prevent chrome from automatically going to a suggested URL you are typing in? For example, I want to go to website.com/page, so I type that in and hit enter. However if I previously went to website.com/page/subpage, it will suggest that and go to that page instead.

I want to keep the suggested URL turned on, however how can I prevent it from going to a shorter version of the URL??

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

syphon posted:

That's always been an annoyance of mine. I usually just hit Space after the URL (which gets rid of the auto complete). Not an ideal solution, but I've gotten used to it.

I was using the delete key until I read this, this is a much easier way to break autocomplete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
How can you prevent the DOM Inspector jumping to the top of the code whenever something is clicked? I'm trying to follow what happens to a slideshow on click, but is extremely hard when I have to scroll back down.