Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Factory Factory posted:

It's not crashing the entire browser, it's just programmed so that something central about user interaction/updates has to wait on the plug-in. If that freezes, it has to wait for preset time-out condition before the browser can forcefully close it. If you can pick out the particular Chrome.exe in Task Manager that is the Flash plugin process, you can force close it yourself earlier and the browser will resume sooner.

Unless and until Google tries to sandbox the plug-ins like it does tabs/processes, or it changes the timeout conditions, this is just something that can happen.
It's still freezing the entire browser rather than a single tab, or even just the tabs which have flash on them, which is pretty bad.

And why is it taking them so long to fix this stupid problem? They control Chrome, they control Youtube. It doesn't happen on embedded videos so just make every youtube page an embedded video now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Is there a way to make the History Search not suck? All I want to do is search the titles of previous pages and for the titles to actually show up instead of just the URL.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

deoju posted:

Hey, I don't really hang out in SH/SC, I don't know if this is the right place to ask this...

Anybody know an easy way to take screen shots and maybe gifs of netflix/amazon Prime/Hulu/etc? I understand why they want to block them and make them hard, but I swear this is for educational purposes. I just want to show what a pan-to-location-transition shot looks like in practice. Or an eyeline match...Or a proper montage... etc...

Snipping tool and my usual screenshot apps block me.

I'd love if it was as easy as a chrome extension or something. Even if you could point me in the right direction with key words for a google search via pm that'd be cool.

Thanks. :)
Try GifCam http://blog.bahraniapps.com/gifcam/

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
RIP Vanced, yet another project killed by Google (lawyers)

https://twitter.com/YTVanced/status/1503055442506915846

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So far I've found that using this specific ad-blocker just for youtube instead of uBlock hasn't given me any further warnings. It doesn't block the banners and it loads the ad (but doesn't display it) for a few seconds and then auto skips so youtube doesn't seem to be detecting it so far, but the downside is you still get the banners and you still get interrupted for a few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That worked for me when youtube was acting up today, thank you.
Just a heads up, it took them a while but it looks like youtube is detecting it now, so it seems like they've finally gotten far enough down to detecting add ons that still let ads load but try to mute and skip them.