Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So before I just switch to Firefox, figured I'd ask for some help.

I have two monitors, and I tend to have youtube playing on my secondary monitor. Chrome at some point in the last 6-12 months decided to start getting extremely choppy when playing youtube videos when I'm not focusing on the window. I've googled it a bit and the issue seems to be tied to hardware acceleration, which seems to be accurate - when I disable it, the problem goes away. It seems to be more of a problem when I'm focusing on another chrome window compared to playing a game/etc.

The issue is that web games and several other things I do on Chrome really *do need hardware acceleration* so disabling it isn't really a feasible fix. Any other options for dealing with this? I generally prefer Chrome over FF but this is a reasonably common irritation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

So before I just switch to Firefox, figured I'd ask for some help.

I have two monitors, and I tend to have youtube playing on my secondary monitor. Chrome at some point in the last 6-12 months decided to start getting extremely choppy when playing youtube videos when I'm not focusing on the window. I've googled it a bit and the issue seems to be tied to hardware acceleration, which seems to be accurate - when I disable it, the problem goes away. It seems to be more of a problem when I'm focusing on another chrome window compared to playing a game/etc.

The issue is that web games and several other things I do on Chrome really *do need hardware acceleration* so disabling it isn't really a feasible fix. Any other options for dealing with this? I generally prefer Chrome over FF but this is a reasonably common irritation.

Update, never found a fix for this. Just cutover to doing youtube on Firefox. Weird if that ends up being the thing that makes me drop chrome.