Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I just ran into a weird font issue. They just look... strange, I can't put my finger on it. Its really evident on the SA forums list, the underlines seem to far up. Anyone have this issue? It feels like the default font changed or something.

Glad it wasn't just me.

Ever since the version before the current, dev has been completely hosed for me. I've more or less given up on it since nobody on either of the bugs filed on it is in any hurry to do anything other than kick it into someone else's queue. Does anyone know what kind of a hack job I'm gonna have to do in order to force my dev version profile into a stable version install? I know it doesn't wanna let you move a profile to an older version, but, while dev has been more or less fine until now, in the state mine is in it's completely unusable, and I'm getting off that train.

Javid fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'd think windows scheduled task to launch the browser to it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Since Magic Actions has apparently started throwing rather dubious "YOUR BROWSER IS OUTDATED!!!" popups, is there anything else that does generally what that does? I've been using it for so long I forgot Youtube isn't actually dark themed.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's a separate app, not a browser plug-in, but I've been using jdownloader for YouTube and everything else for ages. It seems to be able to digest anything I feed it, from pulling all the media off a Tumblr, to random video sites I'd never heard of before, to whatever else. It just monitors the clipboard so any url you copy is automatically enqueued. Pretty handy.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Today Stylish isn't kicking in and I look and find this:

Web store link is dead, I can turn it back on but I'd really like to know what happened to get it pulled. Do they document this poo poo anywhere?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

EFB, but also there's an alternative option for now, but spyware in useful extensions is probably a risk as long as extensions exist.

Excellent, thanks. It even accepts a backup file from Stylish so I didn't have to go reinstall 50 different styles.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

What usually happens is a company buys it and then turns it into malware, it's not the original author.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I got similarly bit by the same extension being bought out; it isn't JUST a dark theme, it added a bunch of poo poo that I found extremely useful. Like better volume controls, video resizing at will, and probably 20 other things I actively missed after I had to toss the thing.

The best part was the new owner of the extension getting really butthurt on the comments to the app store reviews, steadfastly insisting that it couldn't possibly be HIS extension despite ten thousand people suddenly having the same ads and nothing else in common.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Is there some function or flag I can enable or disable to make it so a bunch of extensions don't pop up a tab of update poo poo I don't care about every time I relaunch the browser? It's so annoying.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Op: Letting someone that stupid/oblivious access your computer, or accounts thereon, is exactly how you get defrauded of your entire joint bank account at some point in the future. So while a technical solution to your immediate problem has been presented, you should really think about isolating your accounts in the future, because your wife is a goddamn moron.

Rest of thread: dude asked a plain English "how do I do _______" question, for which an answer actually exists, it would've saved everyone involved a lot of stress if somebody had just answered that immediately instead of, or at least before, arguing with the guy. Way too many goons want to treat every single question as an XY problem instead of just giving people the information they're looking for.

Moving on, I'm going to repost my question from the last page because it got drowned out by that argument:

Javid posted:

Is there some function or flag I can enable or disable to make it so a bunch of extensions don't pop up a tab of update poo poo I don't care about every time I relaunch the browser? It's so annoying.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Is there some function or flag I can flip to prevent extensions from opening a changelog/donate to us tab every time they update?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

But scammers can still buy out an extension author and pack an update with spyware and the poo poo gets approved. Thanks, Google

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I can totally believe this, since you already can't on Android without tricking it.

newpipe is the bee's knees for this.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It was fine this morning, but now Chrome is doing this on every page

What the gently caress is this and what do I do about it? "Chrome windows graphics glitch" isn't the most useful phrase to google.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I'd guess GPU issues. Turn off Use hardware acceleration when available to see if that does anything

That did it. This gives me concerns regarding the "gpu" in this ancient laptop, but if it's dying zero other apps have been affected :iiam:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Is there an extension like scriptsafe but for cookies? I'd love to just hard blacklist domains that don't benefit me.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Have you made sure no extensions are running in incognito?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Weird character in the URL or title?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Stylus + a twitter-specific userstyle is 100% what you are looking for

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If that happens I usually accidentally dragged it somewhere else

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The search engine thing does exactly what you want. it's just a url you put a wildcard into where your input goes. Here is one I made to jump directly to a user profile given only the userid#:

You'd just do http://mytrees.com/%s and it will do literally what you describe

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

This isn't breaking news, but

https://groups.google.com/u/1/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-extensions/c/zQ77HkGmK9E?pli=1

seems like they're backing off for at least a few more months. One can only hope there was a big downward line on a chart somewhere that got the point across, but who knows

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Can anyone suggest an extension or script that will let me turn this poo poo off on a per-domain basis?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm not wanting to completely nuke javascript, just disable that specific class of popup so the x button on the tab jumps directly to closing it

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

oh that's perfect, thanks

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

can anyone recommend an extension or script to force this to just always be on?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

poo poo yeah that does exactly what I want, thanks

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If it's doubleclick specifically then lol. I have never unblocked that domain and never will

I haven't gotten it yet on the 1 pc I watch youtube on. :iiam:

e:

West SAAB Story posted:

Has anyone suggested NewPipe+SponsorBlock yet? It works great on Android, and although you can't actually share your important opinion, it doesn't require an update every fifteen minutes.

Newpipe is great. I have just hard disabled my youtube app since all it does is get in the way of launching links in newpipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

We're approaching the point where the least invasive way to do that will be to locate and install an older version, and then break Google update.