Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Aside from Oz, what other things with Christopher Meloni are worth a look? I've seen Carriers (which was awful, he was the only good thing in it, but his role was very brief) and Green Lantern: First Flight (which wasn't bad - certainly better than the live action Green Lantern movie).

What else has he been good in? He's going into True Blood next, right? (I don't watch that show). Also, is anyone else looking forward to that Sam Waterson show on HBO? I hope we don't have to wait ages for it to air here in the UK...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OldMemes posted:

Aside from Oz, what other things with Christopher Meloni are worth a look? I've seen Carriers (which was awful, he was the only good thing in it, but his role was very brief) and Green Lantern: First Flight (which wasn't bad - certainly better than the live action Green Lantern movie).

What else has he been good in? He's going into True Blood next, right? (I don't watch that show). Also, is anyone else looking forward to that Sam Waterson show on HBO? I hope we don't have to wait ages for it to air here in the UK...
Wet Hot American Summer

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Also, he was the sassy gay clerk at the Flamingo Hotel in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bobkatt013 posted:

Wet Hot American Summer

I can't stress enough how much you need to see this movie, it's amazing and Meloni in particular is great.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'll look into those - to my shame, I haven't seen Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas yet :(

Has Ice-T been in anything good? And out of Richard Belzer's and Jerry Orbach's filmography, which of their films is worth watching ("all of them" isn't a specific enough answer for Orbach)?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

OldMemes posted:

I'll look into those - to my shame, I haven't seen Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas yet :(

Has Ice-T been in anything good? And out of Richard Belzer's and Jerry Orbach's filmography, which of their films is worth watching ("all of them" isn't a specific enough answer for Orbach)?

For Orbach Beauty and the Beast is pretty good, other then that his most famous role is Dirty Dancing

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Crimes and Misdemeanors has both Orbach and Waterston, and is a great movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Orbach had a pretty great starring role in Lumet's Prince of the City from 1981.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

With Waterston The Killing Field is awesome

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

bobkatt013 posted:

With Waterston The Killing Field is awesome

There's also a cute little movie called Hopscotch on Netflix streaming; basically, the film stars Walter Matthau as a former spy who, facing his retirement, decides to write a memoir about all of his dirty little government secrets. He leads the intelligence community on a merry chase as he stays one step ahead of them; Waterston plays Matthau's friend, who is sort of half-heartedly chasing after him. He looks the same as he did in Law & Order, same haircut, but with no gray at all. It's uncanny.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

OldMemes posted:

I think your question is answered with this picture. This is the pinnacle of Ice-T's movie career.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Oh boy it's the episode with the vampire people and the lesbian lady who's really bi. This is pretty amazing as far as SVU goofiness.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Sam Waterston was also in Serial Mom directed by John Waters.

There was a rerun of SVU on today where some woman is found in a burning building. It is shown that she had sex before she died, and she was pregnant. It turns out that her fiance didn't get her pregnant but his father did. In the end it was some other girl that killed her though.
Anyway all is going well in the episode until the last 5 minutes when the girl pushes herself and the fiance off the ledge of the police building. I can never understand what it is with SVU and people dying in the last 5 minutes, especially in the police building. The worst part is crazy girl got up and left and someone asks the ADA if someone is going to stop her. The ADA says there is only one exit from the building (the entrance) and is all smug until they found out that the crazy girl went to the roof to jump off the building.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The pinnacle of Ice-T's acting career is Surviving the Game.

Also I was watching some Criminal Intent the other day and goddamnit I love Goldblum in it. He's just funny. There's an episode about some lovely dude who rents out this giant shared community loft to aspiring artists and he's this old washed musician dude with a hilarious accent. Gillian Jacobs has a smaller role in the episode too but Goldblum in the episode ends up playing some piano and just acting Goldblumy. It's great.

Also THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kntiwssyeDk

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 24, 2012

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Madkal posted:

Anyway all is going well in the episode until the last 5 minutes when the girl pushes herself and the fiance off the ledge of the police building. I can never understand what it is with SVU and people dying in the last 5 minutes

Those crazy twists are the best twists - I love the one where they finally have enough legal standing to arrest this man who is deliberatly poking holes in his condoms, so that he can have as many babies as possible, and one of the women stabs him with one of those anti-shark guns and he explodes (off screen, mind).

We really need to start doing a tally of how many people have been shot, killed, or oherwise injured in the SVU squadroom over the years. I guess Cragen just never gets in trouble for that, no matter how many times it happens?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldMemes posted:

I guess Cragen just never gets in trouble for that, no matter how many times it happens?

The usual procedure is that John Schuck shows up, screams at Cragen for a while while giving a "one more thing like this and I'll have your unit shut down" speech like it's the loving X-Files or something, Cragen gives a little grief to Benson and Stabler about their latest failure to turn in DD5s or whatever, and occasionally Cragen gets suspended for 30 minutes and Munch takes over the squad.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
In American Jihad (The muslim murders the college professor) was the implication the girl laughed at him because he had a small penis or am I missing something?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Moose Bigelow posted:

In American Jihad (The muslim murders the college professor) was the implication the girl laughed at him because he had a small penis or am I missing something?

I've never seen it any other way.

Orbach's last year was pretty brutal in terms of scripts, with that episode being a notable example. "Girl laughed at my penis, so I became an American Muslim at war with Western society but really I just hate women."

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Last year, the Universal Channel in the UK had a poll for viewers to pick thier top ten episodes of the show, which they showed in a marathon. The thing was, they didn't allow you to choose an episode, but rather the ORDER of ten pre-chosen episodes. Seems to defeat the point to me - there were some good episodes, but they also included the "crazy scientist makes fake Benson DNA in a centrifuge!" was in the top ten. :eng101:

At least the interviews with the cast were interesting - although Universal's marketing here seems to think that SVU is the "Oliva Benson Power Hour", rather than an ensemble show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

"crazy scientist makes fake Benson DNA in a centrifuge!"

You just made this up, right?

RIGHT!?! :gonk:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Jerusalem posted:

Nope.
http://allthingslawandorder.blogspot.com/2009/11/law-order-svu-perverted-recap-review.html?m=1

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I'm developing a photophobia condition and am not saddened by it because it means I am now closer to being Munch. Now I just gotta find out what type of special lenses Richard Belzer has.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

The glory part of that episode is the ending set it up that things will never be the same (now that people can make knock off DNA of anyone), and then just dropped it and never mentioned it again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:negative:

And SVU is still the most popular of all the L&O's, right? :smith:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

:negative:

And SVU is still the most popular of all the L&O's, right? :smith:

SVU: When it's good, it's good, when it's bad, it's wonderfully insane. I think that's one of this thread's favourite crazy episodes, up there with the tiger one...

According to Universal, "Undercover" (season 9, ep. 15 - Benson undercover in prison) is the best episode. I'd say that "Countdown" is my favourite, but that only got to number 8 or so (It's the best episode because Munch grows a silly looking beard in it).

We're still waiting for season 13 to continue airing after its Christmas break here. And Season 10 is airing on Channel 5 for the first time - which gives me an excuse to enjoy the insanity of that season again.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 28, 2012

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
The best part of SVU are the episodes that go through 8 different plots in one episode.

Like the one on USA right now. Starts as a missing child case, becomes one kid killing another in a wrestling match, and then became "oh, hai, the dead kid's girlfriend is a 28 year old that has been defrauding the foster care system for ten years by pretending to be sixteen"

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
To update on the iOS L&O game: two new episodes of it are out now and are considerably better than the first two. One of them takes place in modern times and seems to imply that McCoy is still the DA (but who knows if a game is considered canon in the L&O universe) and the other takes place in 2000 with Lenny and McCoy being angry as ever at social injustice. It's all great.

Edit: And (not spoilers) if you play the cards right there's a great McCoy speech at the end.

Also the Vanilla box set is worth the price, really.

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 28, 2012

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

There's a really great moment in the SVU Season 1 episode "Chat Room", where Stabler is talking to this guy who has been storing pictures of internet predator's victims for him, and the guy tries to justify by it by claiming "Hey, man, they're just pictures...".

Stabler reacts by slamming the table and shouting :argh: "THEY'RE NOT JUST PICTURES!". Meloni really sells the moment, without going into the "Stabler is a crazy super cop" terrority that the the character fell into in later seasons.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me

OldMemes posted:

SVU: When it's good, it's good, when it's bad, it's wonderfully insane. I think that's one of this thread's favourite crazy episodes, up there with the tiger one...

I have to take this moment and mention Lunacy as my favorite crazy SVU episode. It has James Brolin as Stabler's Marine role model and Chris Elliot spergin' about astronauts. The ending has one of the greatest lines ever. "SHE TOOK THE MOON FROM ME!!!"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

afro gunsou posted:

I have to take this moment and mention Lunacy as my favorite crazy SVU episode. It has James Brolin as Stabler's Marine role model and Chris Elliot spergin' about astronauts. The ending has one of the greatest lines ever. "SHE TOOK THE MOON FROM ME!!!"
It also has a shooting in the squad room!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

HookShot posted:

It also has a shooting in the squad room!

Doesn't pretty much every episode in seasons 9-12 have one? It's pretty much the least safe place in the Tommy Westphall Universe - and I'm including the projects in The Wire in that statement.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Boom mic spotted in a shot of CI, around 13:30 S1E21, just thought you'd like to know.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Both Parks and Rec and 30 Rock had Law and Order references last night.

Parks and Rec: Leslie is showing a slideshow of models for a potential date for Ann; one slide is Sam Waterston.

30 Rock: The new self-promoting page, in a cutaway gag, is shown behind Cutter's shoulder in a courtroom scene, looking straight at the camera and holding up a sign advertising "massages and acting."

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Just spotted Lance Reddick as a medical examiner in the last episode of the first season of SVU - a lot of people from The Wire have had guest spots in the shows, I guess. I've spotted Wendell Pierce at least twice in the original series.

Season 13 of SVU doesn't carry on in the UK until March. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OldMemes posted:

Just spotted Lance Reddick as a medical examiner in the last episode of the first season of SVU - a lot of people from The Wire have had guest spots in the shows, I guess. I've spotted Wendell Pierce at least twice in the original series.

Season 13 of SVU doesn't carry on in the UK until March. :(

There's a fairly large crossover between L&O of various stripes and HBO shows like The Wire and Oz.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Cracked had a photoshop contest based on the question "If Classic TV Shows Never Got Cancelled", and since it made me smile, and we've talked about Tommy Westphall before, I thought I'd share it.

(It's by someone called "runner-runner", appparently)

All of St. Elsewhere is on Channel 4 On Demand right now. How does it hold up nowadays?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

AA is for Quitters posted:

The best part of SVU are the episodes that go through 8 different plots in one episode.

Like the one on USA right now. Starts as a missing child case, becomes one kid killing another in a wrestling match, and then became "oh, hai, the dead kid's girlfriend is a 28 year old that has been defrauding the foster care system for ten years by pretending to be sixteen"

The best part of that episode was the previews for it on NBC. With the gravely voice saying, "Find out why they call her...The Black Widow." and then showing the clip where she says, "I loved them all."

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Was there any episode of SVU where some crazy victim impersonates Benson?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

Was there any episode of SVU where some crazy victim impersonates Benson?

She's had perps stalk/become obessed with her so many times now, it kinda blurs together.

The best one was when the guy started killing victims who she'd helped in the past, and they find that the victims were lured in by a fake computer scam run by a company called "Avilo", and when they go to the empty office, Stabler flips the sign on the door, and turns out Avilo is Oliva spelled backwards! :monocle:

Yes, SVU had a Troll 2 moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

The best one was when the guy started killing victims who she'd helped in the past,

....how would he even find out the identities of people one particular police officer worked with? Did he just walk into the Squadroom while they were distracted by somebody being murdered and go into the filing cabinets?

• Locked thread