Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dick Wolf is taking a break from Chicago to bring Law & Order back. With a new series titled "Law & Order: True Crime" which will be in the vein of American Crime Story and dramatize real crimes. First up is the Menendez Brothers killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh nobody tell my wife, that will be like cocaine to here.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

muscles like this? posted:

Dick Wolf is taking a break from Chicago to bring Law & Order back. With a new series titled "Law & Order: True Crime" which will be in the vein of American Crime Story and dramatize real crimes. First up is the Menendez Brothers killing.

Are you serious? Holy poo poo. This could be amazing

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Vintimus Prime posted:

Are you serious? Holy poo poo. This could be amazing

Crime & Punishment was pretty bad though...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Watching the SVU episode with Robin Williams. Bringing a sheep on Morning Joe and naming it Elliot was masterful trolling.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I really hope Carisi gets sucked into Rollins's white trash vortex and ends up drunkenly fist-fighting Declan over baby visitation or some poo poo.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
WGN has weird censorship. The word "kike" musta come up 30 times this episode but it only got censored at the end.

Also mid 90s law and order reminds me how hosed up the fringe right was in the 90s.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

AA is for Quitters posted:

WGN has weird censorship. The word "kike" musta come up 30 times this episode but it only got censored at the end.

Also mid 90s law and order reminds me how hosed up the fringe right was in the 90s.
Was it still openly racist by then?

I ask because the fringe right seems exceptionally hosed up right now and am trying to figure out what would be worse.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

FISHMANPET posted:

Ugh nobody tell my wife, that will be like cocaine to here.

:cocaine:

And yeah, either this is going to be late-90s Vanilla awesome or post-restart LA bad

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

Was it still openly racist by then?

I ask because the fringe right seems exceptionally hosed up right now and am trying to figure out what would be worse.

Rush Limbaugh had a late night show on television, so take from that what you will. (It sank when Clinton was reelected, as I recall.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kilonum posted:

post-restart LA bad

Wait, what? LA didn't become even remotely watchable until after the retooling.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Going through old episodes of SVU, watch the Season 2 episode "Honor" if you want an idea of what pre-9/11 American views of Muslims were.

(Spoiler: still pretty racist)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Is that the one with Marshall Manesh as this controlling Afghan diplomat who ordered his son to kill his daughter because she wasn't a virgin or something?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Timby posted:

Is that the one with Marshall Manesh as this controlling Afghan diplomat who ordered his son to kill his daughter because she wasn't a virgin or something?

Yep, and then his wife rats him out and he kills her before leaving town.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That's still not as bad as American Jihad, the episode of Vanilla where a rich kid had converted to Islam and murdered a professor's wife because she was raising awareness for Muslim women's rights, and it turned out his entire conversion was because his girlfriend had laughed at his small penis.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That sounds amazing

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Going through early SVU, Season 3 seems to be when it starts getting really silly. The season finale involves a Catholic priest who was around when some boys were molested, except the twist is that he's a pedophile who successfully suppressed his urges, and the real molester is the Bishop.

Also, Season 3 Episode 17 is the first onscreen mention of 9/11. That's the episode where Emily Deschanel from Bones is attacked and it turns out her apartment is full of little cameras that were installed by a stalker.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
SVU comes back from it's mid-season break tonight.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Season 2 of SVU has some great Finn and Munch moments though. If they do go through with giving Finn a parakeet that would be great, especially if it helped him solve mysteries sometimes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Criminal Intent, S2, this islamic terrorist episode, aired November 2002:

"We know your community [Muslims] have had a rough year." :laffo:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It was great to have Munch back for an episode, but it was really wierd. Finn acts like Munch isn't retired/working for the DA and they act like he's still working there, then Benson has a bonding scene with him at the end? That was oddly incoherent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldMemes posted:

It was great to have Munch back for an episode, but it was really wierd. Finn acts like Munch isn't retired/working for the DA and they act like he's still working there, then Benson has a bonding scene with him at the end? That was oddly incoherent.

That whole thing felt like Warren Leight really wanted another go with Munch before he hands SVU off to Rick Eid.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Do any of us watch SVU these days for any reason other than it still having "Law & Order" in the name?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

teethgrinder posted:

Do any of us watch SVU these days for any reason other than it still having "Law & Order" in the name?

Considering they're so desperate to give Hargitay new stories that they put Benson into a relationship with the IAB douchebag ... no.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

nope

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The last episode is so drat cringey, but ... possibly kind of authentic considering the subject-matter, and not all up in the department's own business ... for once (after the intro, which was OKAY.)

edit ... whoops spoke too soon. Spoiler alert:

Timby posted:

Considering they're so desperate to give Hargitay new stories that they put Benson into a relationship with the IAB douchebag ... no.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 17, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bill Duke was a lawyer on SVU last night. I haven't seen Bill Duke in anything in probably 15 years, which is a shame, because Bill Duke owns.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mud pies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I just learned that Shambala Green has been showing up on the Dick Wolf Chicago series.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Tucker is great, because Robert John Burke plays him as hilariously stern. He's a super by-the-rules-guy, with a good heart deep down. I've only just found out that he played Robocop in Robocop 3, and that it co-stars Jill Hennessy, Mako, CCH Pounder and Rip Torn. I kinda need to see it now - I've been avoiding it because of how badits meant to be.

Best moment this season is when Benson and Tucker are watching that dating show, Benson asks "Who watches this stuff" then cut to Rollins watching the show, while eating popcorn with her dog. I like how they've made Rollins watching reality TV a part of her character. That's, what three episodes she's helped solve the crime by watching bad reality TV? There's the one where she's watching not-American idol with Finn in the squad room for no apparent reason, and the episode where she binge watches not-The Duggars to solve the case.

SVU is a show I love and hate in equal measure. At the moment, it's better than it was during the height of insanity of the Stabler years, but not as good as it was a season or two ago. It varies massivle from episode to episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldMemes posted:

I kinda need to see it now - I've been avoiding it because of how badits meant to be.

It's a lot better than its reputation would suggest.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Killed on the last day of the job. Have they ever done something like this before in the world of Law and Order?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ned posted:

Killed on the last day of the job. Have they ever done something like this before in the world of Law and Order?

Closest I can think of is Claire Kincaid telling McCoy she wanted to quit a few episodes before she was killed in "Aftershock."

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol at getting spoiled. Oh well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The unwritten rule of this thread is that SVU sucks enough that we don't bother with spoiler tags.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
In 2016 they did a "Shot on his last day" episode. They even off screened a fiancee for him. The absolute worst.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Well Dodds sure was a character I guess.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was watching a random season 4 episode the other day and Daniel Dae Kim was the medical examiner. He was so young I actually picked him from the voice before the face.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I vaguely remember an episode where some militia types demanded to be tried as enemy combatants. Does anyone know the episode number? Or was this a dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

slavatuvs posted:

I vaguely remember an episode where some militia types demanded to be tried as enemy combatants. Does anyone know the episode number? Or was this a dream?

Bladow
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0629356/
Nullification, season 8, episode 5

• Locked thread