Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Bladow
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0629356/
Nullification, season 8, episode 5

This episode is loving creepy for reasons I can never quite articulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Mooseontheloose posted:

This episode is loving creepy for reasons I can never quite articulate.

I started watching it. The tackle shop owner's mannerisms definitely are a little creepy, and the writers did their research with the whole "flag having fringes" and waco aspect of militia loons, but now I'm interested as to what you found so creepy.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like Nora Lewin better than Branch; way more interesting. Also like I said earlier, I like Nina Cassady and think she was wasted potential.

It always amuses me that they slowly got rid of the court sections of Criminal Intent.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, in the later season's Carver's job was basically to remind Goren that he wasn't Hercule Poirot and that while he could explain the crime perfectly that doesn't count as evidence.

I also really liked Nora Lewin, especially in episodes like the case about the 17 year old murderer and the death penalty. She was incredibly interesting as a character.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Wow, I just recognized Mariska Hargity in an episode of Seinfeld.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

She was also a prominant character in talking dog cop show Tequila & Bonetti, which inexplicably has diehard fans making AMVs of it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

WickedHate posted:

She was also a prominant character in talking dog cop show Tequila & Bonetti, which inexplicably has diehard fans making AMVs of it.

Thank you for showing that. I looked up that show, then looked up Turner and Hooch and found out that this existed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Now let's round it out with Cop Rock, which sadly, did not have a dog.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaunab posted:

She was also Anthony Edwards' sex kitten in a few episodes of ER.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

slavatuvs posted:

I started watching it. The tackle shop owner's mannerisms definitely are a little creepy, and the writers did their research with the whole "flag having fringes" and waco aspect of militia loons, but now I'm interested as to what you found so creepy.

I think it was almost too real on how militia people act and then the added cultish behavior kinda got to me. Basically, militia members freak me out.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think it was almost too real on how militia people act and then the added cultish behavior kinda got to me. Basically, militia members freak me out.

Yeah, hosed up how they mistrial-ed in the end too. Though that part was kinda stupid.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Joe Biden is going to be on SVU this season. :allears: I'm hoping he shares a scene with Ice-T, because that's a crossover we need to see.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

OldMemes posted:

Joe Biden is going to be on SVU this season. :allears: I'm hoping he shares a scene with Ice-T, because that's a crossover we need to see.

:aaaaa: Guess I am watching that episode at least

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldMemes posted:

As SVU inches closer and closer, I am going to be both depressed and laughing my rear end off if it breaks Vanilla's 20-year run and gets the Gunsmoke record, considering how pissed-off Dick Wolf was after NBC yanked the rug out under him back in 2010.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

OldMemes posted:

I assume as himself in an episode about campus rape, but deep down I hope as a cannibalistic serial killer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Steven Hill, DA Adam Schiff has died. He was 94.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

muscles like this? posted:

Steven Hill, DA Adam Schiff has died. He was 94.

:(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
"Good work, Jack. Take the weekend off."
"It's Friday, Adam."
"So it is."

RIP :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

"Good work, Jack. Take the weekend off."
"It's Friday, Adam."
"So it is."

I believe the actual exchange is:

"Started with a murder, ends with an execution. You got what you wanted. Take the rest of the week off."

"It's Friday, Adam."

"So it is. See you Monday."

94 years old, though. Hill had a hell of a run, even if he was a notoriously difficult pill to work with.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

You know, one thing I've come to like about Law and Order is how it uses political leanings well to drive the stories and have the characters clash. There are liberals who are in the right, liberals who are in the wrong as well as conseratives who are in the wrong and conseratives who are in the right. It feels fairly organic and not forced or like the franchise has an agenda.

I've been binge watching season 6 of Blue Bloods this week, and that show really lays the 'dumb and stupid liberals need Tom Selleck to show them why they're so dumb and stupid'. It seems like every episode is about the characters having to stop the :argh: LIBERALS from ruining America. Blue Bloods is still a decent show to full the gap Vanilla left though, it's just become more heavy handed this season.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not to start a whole politcal thing, but I find that in the US, left-leaning people tend to be better at keeping their politics in their pocket, especially in the entertainment industry. Probably because they know their product has to sell in red states.

So SVU season 17 just hit Netflix, and I've been catching up. A really stupid obnoxious "SCARY SERIAL KILLER" two-parter later, I'm now on an episode that seems to be trying to make me feel sorry for a guy who hate crimed a trasgendered teen.

I missed how awful you are, SVU.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Don't watch svu because it's a trash show

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There are no other Law and Orders left to watch!

I wish Stabler was here to beat the poo poo out of all these lovely characters.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Not to start a whole politcal thing, but I find that in the US, left-leaning people tend to be better at keeping their politics in their pocket, especially in the entertainment industry. Probably because they know their product has to sell in red states.

So SVU season 17 just hit Netflix, and I've been catching up. A really stupid obnoxious "SCARY SERIAL KILLER" two-parter later, I'm now on an episode that seems to be trying to make me feel sorry for a guy who hate crimed a trasgendered teen.

I'm not complaining, but I don't agree at all about left-leaning entertainment folk ... there are just shitloads that speak to causes they believe in (or are just spokespeople for...) The right-wing ones seem pretty drat rare in that industry. I can name like ... Clint Eastwood, Chuck Norris ... Ted Nugent ... and I'm pretty much out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

teethgrinder posted:

I'm not complaining, but I don't agree at all about left-leaning entertainment folk ... there are just shitloads that speak to causes they believe in (or are just spokespeople for...) The right-wing ones seem pretty drat rare in that industry. I can name like ... Clint Eastwood, Chuck Norris ... Ted Nugent ... and I'm pretty much out.

RDJ (at least historically), Mel Gibson, Kelsey Grammer, Gary Sinise, Fred Thompson, Kevin Costner was for a while. Usually a bunch of white dudes for obvious reasons, but yeah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Oh, I meant specifically in the context of their work. Most of them don't James Cameron it. Obviously what they do on their own time is another story.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ah I just saw it as their own time affects their brand regardless.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Lurdiak posted:

I miss original L&O, and its ability to have main characters disagree with each other, even about hot button, sensitive, or whatever else topics, and each argue for it, because sometimes there's not one Right Answer to tough cases. While in this episode, they have to bring in Dr. Wilson instead of Barba to be the ADA because the entire main cast on screen needed to be in agreement, but if the prosecutor agrees with the cops, then there's no second half of the episode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A Big Dark Yak posted:

I miss original L&O, and its ability to have main characters disagree with each other, even about hot button, sensitive, or whatever else topics, and each argue for it, because sometimes there's not one Right Answer to tough cases. While in this episode, they have to bring in Dr. Wilson instead of Barba to be the ADA because the entire main cast on screen needed to be in agreement, but if the prosecutor agrees with the cops, then there's no second half of the episode.

I mean it could get a little silly because sometimes even when the position was indefensible you needed at least one of the cops to be like "Eh, I don't know, maybe rape IS cool." or something, and some of the older L&O episodes betray the dated morality of the early 90s, but yeah, it was a lot better than the entire cast all agreeing on something completely horrible.

The best example of course being Aftershock, which had a variety of completely sensible opinions on the death penalty while still conveying that it's not something to be taken lightly at all.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Co-incidentally Diane Neal was on Blue Blues as an ADA last season, which made me think that I don't think I've ever seen Diane Neal in a non-cop/law enforcement show.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

OldMemes posted:

Co-incidentally Diane Neal was on Blue Blues as an ADA last season, which made me think that I don't think I've ever seen Diane Neal in a non-cop/law enforcement show.

She was on Suits for a bit, which is mostly civil law.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, SVU, keep on shining on, you crazy diamond.

quote:

Law & Order SVU “Making A Rapist” Air Date September 28, 2016 (9 PM ET/8C Wednesday NBC)

After 16 years in prison, a convicted rapist (guest star Henry Thomas) is exonerated due to newly tested DNA evidence. But only a day later, Fin (Ice T) is called to the scene of a shocking crime and must once again investigate the whereabouts of the man he arrested years ago. Also starring Mariska Hargitay (Lt. Olivia Benson), Kelli Giddish (Det. Amanda Rollins), Raúl Esparza (ADA Rafael Barba) and Peter Scanavino (Det. Sonny Carisi). Also guest starring Vice President Joe Biden, Kelli Williams (Melanie Harper), Delaney Williams (John Buchanan), Cody Kostro (Charlie Dobkins) and Alexis Collins (Ashley Harper).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Isn't that basically a rehash of that episode where Elliot stalked a dude until he abducted a child?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

Isn't that basically a rehash of that episode where Elliot stalked a dude until he abducted a child?

Well, it's more explicitly a take on the Steven Avery case.

But as for "Elliot stalking <person> until <person does thing>," that's kind of a wide gamut. :v:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Joe Biden guest stars... The biggest guest star is always the perp, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I just saw the Vanilla episode "DWB" and Jack's monologue at the end is 100% applicable today. A little unrealistic since prosecutors IRL won't even bring charges against cops, but definitely still applicable 18 years later.

Also in retrospect, immediately obvious that the episode title stands for "Driving While Black".

• Locked thread