Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm reading The Looming Tower right now, which is a history of Al-Qaeda. It does have a narrow focus, but it brings in a lot of the unrest in the Middle East and what led to the more radical groups coming to the fore. There's also some stuff about the US CIA/FBI agents trying to track Bin Ladin down, but most of the book gives a pretty decent picture of the Middle East from the 60s on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I noticed that Amazon has an absolute ton of free history books for the Kindle.

I grabbed a bunch, and I'm working my way through "The War of Independence" by John Fiske. It's pretty crap. I'm about 3/4 through it and it's not very specific about anything. All the tax and anti-Patriot acts that were passed are just briefly mentioned with little to no detail, all the battles are just mentioned in passing of who won, and who lost.

I guess you get what you pay for. Avoid.

On the opposite end, I'm nearly done with "The Real History of the American Revolution: A New Look at the Past " by Alan Axelrod and it goes into so much detail that you're almost inclined to take notes to keep it all straight. Lots of side bars, maps, engravings, all in full color. The format is really great. Huge thumbs up. Hardcover only as far as I know.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 15, 2012

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

ThePutty posted:

Is there any good books on modern Arab history in the Middle East? Things like the Arab Revolt, Israel and Palestine, the rise of dictatorships and everything in between and outside of that.

Eugene Rogan's The Arabs: A History doesn't cover the arab spring, but it's still really good.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Can anybody recommend a good introductory book to Ancient Egypt? I will be travelling to Egypt in a few months and would love to learn some more about the major places and people that I might encounter in the major museums, palaces and sight seeing.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

sc0tty posted:

Can anybody recommend a good introductory book to Ancient Egypt? I will be travelling to Egypt in a few months and would love to learn some more about the major places and people that I might encounter in the major museums, palaces and sight seeing.

I'd second this request as well. I've heard good things about Wilkinson's The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt but I've been hesitant to jump in.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

First post on this subforum, but I just finished this recently and wanted to share it.

Columbine - Dave Cullen

wikipedia posted:

It is a comprehensive examination of the Columbine High School massacre, perpetrated by Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold on April 20, 1999. The book covers two major storylines: the killers' evolution leading up to the attack, and the survivors' struggles with aftermath over the next decade. Chapters alternate between the two stories.
Didn't really have a good reason to buy it, just wanted something to read. I'm glad I did, though. Very well written and very interesting. Had to force myself to put it down at points. Also, it dispels a lot of the rumors and false accounts about the attack and gives you a pretty detailed look at the lives of Dylan and Eric.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

sc0tty posted:

This book focuses on Greece and Rome also, but I still find it one of the absolute best primers to the ancient world I've read.

Egypt, Greece and Rome

Also, someone mentioned Wilkinson's "Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt", which I just finished and found thoroughly enjoyable, too, but not as much as the book above.

cyanchiroptera
Oct 31, 2012
If you're interested in the spanish conquest of the americas, one interesting book is Tzetan Todorov's Conquest of America: The Question of The Other. It is a very interesting read if you're looking forward to knowing the spanish mindset when it came to conquerring the new world.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Can anyone recommend any books regarding the Dominican Republic or the Caribbean more generally? I'm going there in March with the Peace Corps and I want to be as well informed as possible. My current knowledge is basically limited to wikipedia.

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

rantAK posted:

Picked this up by chance on holiday. An excellent narrative history on the end days of the Roman Republic, this one got me started on reading about Rome.

Just bringing this up again in case anyone was so unfortunate as to miss it. It is a fantastic book!
Consider it a gateway drug to books about Ancient Rome.

Damon
Oct 11, 2012
I spend a lot of time reading book on the third reich, until I found the definitive book on the subject in my dads library right in front of me all those years:

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer. A mammoth of a book (1200+ pages) going in great details the period of 1933 to 1945.

Lots of details, but very readable.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Damon posted:

I spend a lot of time reading book on the third reich, until I found the definitive book on the subject in my dads library right in front of me all those years:

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer. A mammoth of a book (1200+ pages) going in great details the period of 1933 to 1945.

Lots of details, but very readable.

A lot of it has been superseded by later research, but yes, it was the first and it remains a worthy, canonical read.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

smr posted:

A lot of it has been superseded by later research, but yes, it was the first and it remains a worthy, canonical read.

Yeah, it's still a great overview for lay historians. There's a reason why you always see a copy of it in the history section at bookstores, decades after its publication.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Chamberk posted:

I'm reading The Looming Tower right now, which is a history of Al-Qaeda. It does have a narrow focus, but it brings in a lot of the unrest in the Middle East and what led to the more radical groups coming to the fore. There's also some stuff about the US CIA/FBI agents trying to track Bin Ladin down, but most of the book gives a pretty decent picture of the Middle East from the 60s on.

I've read quite a few books that are basically "Afghanistan, post-December 1979", and it's still probably the best all-around book I've read on the topic. Incredibly readable yet detailed. (For instance, I find Imperial Hubris incredibly astute, but a slog of a read.)

If you (or anyone else, like ThePutty) are interested to continue reading, there's also Ghost Wars, which is from a completely-CIA perspective and a little drier; The Bin Ladens, by the same author, Steve Coll, which is far more readable and quite interesting. Taliban by Ahmed Rashid is great for obviously learning about these guys. Descent into Chaos, also by Rashid, is an entirely depressing book about everything that's gone wrong in Pakistan and Afghanistan since the Soviet invasion. Most people probably know about most of these who are interested in the topic, but I still like to recommend them to whomever.

Jabba The American
Sep 5, 2011

I'm gonna have you thrown out of here in a minute!

Mr Crucial posted:

Dreadnought by Robert K. Massie is another very good book along similar lines. Despite the title it doesn't concentrate too much on the naval armaments race, there's a lot in there about the relationships of the monarchies of Europe (e.g. the Kaiser being grandson of Queen Victoria and a cousin of Nicholas II and George V) as well as the political events. It ends at midnight on August 4th 1914...

...where Castles of Steel immediately takes up the story, focusing exclusively on the naval aspects of WW1. I prefer Castles of Steel because it seems to be slightly better written, or maybe it's just the excitement of naval combat that makes it an easier read. von Spee's voyage across the Pacific and the subsequent battles of Coronel and the Falkland Islands are particularly good.

I just finished these back to back, and they managed to make 2 months of bus commutes to and from work breeze by. Massie's style just works for me and I'm looking forward to reading his Russia books.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Can anyone recommend something on the pre-colonial history of either the Sahelian/West African kingdoms, the Swahili Coast of East Africa, or really just anywhere in Sub-Saharan Africa? I've read a bit about colonial and post-colonial Africa recently and I'd be really interested in learning a bit more about what it was like before the continent was taken over.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Can anyone recommend me something on the Ottomans? I pretty much know jack and poo poo about that period of time. I would like to know more about their conquests and fighting with the Byzantines as well, another area of history I have sorely overlooked.

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

TwoStepBoog posted:

First post on this subforum, but I just finished this recently and wanted to share it.

Columbine - Dave Cullen

Didn't really have a good reason to buy it, just wanted something to read. I'm glad I did, though. Very well written and very interesting. Had to force myself to put it down at points. Also, it dispels a lot of the rumors and false accounts about the attack and gives you a pretty detailed look at the lives of Dylan and Eric.

A very good book, although I disagree with the authors general assessment of Eric's psychological condition. I believe he was most likely a sociopath rather than a psychopath. From the knowledge gathered of Eric's home life his mental condition would seem to have been brought on by environmental origins, not biological like a psychopath.

Although technically secondary psychopathy is thought to be environmental, it wasn't explicitly mentioned in this book. Nonetheless, it is no doubt true that by the time of Columbine Eric was beyond saving. And in the general scheme of things this is all irrelevant, but I want to note that typically serial killers and mass-murderers are known to be sociopaths and not psychopaths. And thus Eric wasn't completely to blame for his condition, and because of this we should note that factors we could control end up leading to a person potentially committing a terrible act.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."

Tiger Crazy posted:

Can anyone recommend me something on the Ottomans? I pretty much know jack and poo poo about that period of time. I would like to know more about their conquests and fighting with the Byzantines as well, another area of history I have sorely overlooked.

Empires of the Sea: The Siege of Malta, the Battle of Lepanto, and the Contest for the Center of the World http://www.amazon.com/Empires-Sea-Battle-Lepanto-Contest/dp/0812977645 by Roger Crowley isn't strictly about the Ottomans, it's about their struggles in the 16th century Mediterranean, but it's a really great read about a part of history I didn't know a ton about before reading it.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Roger Crowley also got another book called 1453:the holy war for Constantinople and the clash of Islam and the West. As you might guessed from title, it's about the great siege of Constatinople. I really recommend this one, it reads almost like a novel. It explains why the Ottoman's wanted the city and the battle of wits between Mehmet II (the Ottoman Sultan) and Constantine XI (the last Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire) among others things. It's not quite a general overview of the Ottomans, though.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Amazon is having some cyber monday deals in Kindle books, and there's some interesting stuff is in the history section such as Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee for $3 that I bought along with some other books by that author, but there's other interesting stuff such as We Were Soldiers Once...And Young for $2. Worth a look.

I recently finished David McCullough's 1776, it was good, and surprising how much dumb luck Washington had and how he was a bit of a bungler at military matters in that year.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Any recommendations for books on the Opium War/Boxer Rebellion/Shanghai in the 1930s? Anything within that century of Chinese history would be great.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Just chiming in to recommend a history book that I enjoy immensely, In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whale Ship Essex

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Are there any good, non-biased accounts of the foundation of modern Israel?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I've realized I have a very basic understanding of Irish (specifically the 20th Century and the War of Independence). Can anyone recommend some books focusing on the Easter Uprising and beyond?

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
I'm looking for a World War I book that focuses on the political/cultural aspects of the war. It seems like most basic overviews spend a disproportionate amount of time on the battles and military startegies.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I'm looking for a World War I book that focuses on the political/cultural aspects of the war. It seems like most basic overviews spend a disproportionate amount of time on the battles and military startegies.

It's also got political/cultural stuff in it, but even though it's mainly military/diplomatic, The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman is pretty much mandatory reading. There's also her The Proud Tower which focuses on life shortly before the war as well.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Not so much cultural, but Paris 1919: Six Months That Changed the World by Margaret MacMillan sums up the political repercussions of the great war pretty well.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

MadRhetoric posted:

Any recommendations for books on the Opium War/Boxer Rebellion/Shanghai in the 1930s? Anything within that century of Chinese history would be great.

There isn't a lot available anymore about these topics in English. I would recommend however Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom which is about the Taiping Rebellion. It also lays out the reason the British didn't just conquer China (they figured it would cost too much to run)

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

You want Paul Fussell's The Great War and Modern Memory. It examines the British experience of the war and it's impact on culture and literature. Its really, really good. I also just picked up Rites of Spring by Modris Eksteins which examines the war and its relationship with modernism.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

To end all wars, by Adam hochschild is quite good

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

MadRhetoric posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Peking-Murder-Englishwoman-Haunted/dp/0143121006

I really enjoyed this. I'm not sure if you're into true crime, or if the major focus being the UK ex-pat community would put you off, but I thought it did a good job of explaining the politics of the area at the time.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Can I get some recommendations for some good Civil War reads?

I'm looking for more political/social history books surrounding the war, but if you know some really great books about the battles and stuff, that's cool too.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

40-Degree Day posted:

Can I get some recommendations for some good Civil War reads?

I'm looking for more political/social history books surrounding the war, but if you know some really great books about the battles and stuff, that's cool too.

Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson is excellent.

Check out The Myriad Faces of War by Trevor Wilson for the British experience.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Kind of late but another book similar to what you're looking for is The Last Days of Innocence.

Goes into great detail about the cultural, political and social ramifications in the United States as a result of entering the war.

Forget Forgive
Aug 13, 2007

I'm looking for a very extensive book about Gilbert and Sullivan, the musical theater collaborators. Would anyone be able to point me to a good place to start with them and with the history of musical theater in general?

Jarlaxle
Jul 12, 2007

In Dog We Trust
Can anyone recommend some good books about the ancient history of the Levant? Something really essential on Israel covering any period from pre-history up until the Mameluk/Ottoman period would be great, but I'd also love any really good books on the Eastern Mediterranean as a whole, anywhere in the same time frame. I'm a Near Eastern archaeology major looking to focus my interests for grad school, so I'll take any and all recommendations you can give me.

Slightly related, I'd love to read anything about the history of Acre/Akko, either in the Crusader period, or Napoleon's failed siege of the city in 1799 (Al-Jezzar was more than a little crazy and I want to read more about him telling Napoleon to gently caress off).

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

^^^ It's a textbook, but Ancient Mesopotamia was really informative. Unfortunately it's pretty exclusively about the ancients.

I've noticed a few people asking for books about the Troubles- The Damnable Question by George Dangerfield is dry, but gives an excellent picture of the political and economic conditions that led to the Easter Rebellion.

For a few interesting books about the Cold War/USSR I recommend The Dead Hand by David Hoffman, which won a Pulitzer a few years back and mostly focuses on the Soviet side of the arms race, though it does give plenty of context; The Gulag Archipelago by Solzhenitsyn, which is one of the most depressing books I've ever read, but gives firsthand testimony about the conditions in gulags and the general climate of fear under Stalin; Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader by Bradley Martin, which a few other folks have mentioned, about North Korea and the Kim dynasty, equally enlightening/depressing; and On Thermonuclear War by Herman Kahn, which the US (and soon the USSR) used to help dictate its nuclear armaments policy. That last one's thick, but it turned out to be prescient- mutually assured destruction wasn't mutual or assured, and the Russian gameplan for a good chunk of the Cold War turned out to be that a conflict involving both nukes and conventional warfare was possible, preferable, and winnable.

For some LGBT history: And the Band Played On and Conduct Unbecoming by Randy Shilts, the first about the AIDS crisis and the government's response, the second about the history of LGBT personnel in the American armed forces, surprisingly going back to revolutionary days (Shilts also wrote a biography of Harvey Milk which I haven't read); The Lavender Scare by David K. Johnson, dealing with purges of US government employees concurrent with McCarthyism but also outlasting it by decades; and A Queer Reader by Patrick Higgins, which collects essays, blurbs, and anecdotes going back to antiquity on all sorts of gay issues- funny, interesting, occasionally TV-MA.

Maxine Hong Kingston has written a handful of great books about the Asian American experience, and if you like Roman history and haven't read Robert Graves' Claudius series you're missing out.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I've vastly expanded my Book Depository wishlist due to this thread. In return I'd like to offer Peter Englund's The Beauty and the Sorrow.

I found it to be a fantastic collage of personal experiences from the First World War. It is a little dramatised, and you won't find much in the way of insights into the grander social/political narrative, but it does provide a unique look into the lives of real people. I enjoyed it very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Just a general alert, I only heard about this yesterday

New Jared Diamond book!

Of course not strictly "history" but I doubt anyone that is reading this thread would have a problem with Jared Diamond.

Will be released December 31st.
http://www.amazon.com/The-World-Until-Yesterday-Traditional/dp/0670024813