Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lawman 0 posted:

Interesting perspective but I thought that the author made an ok attempt at explaining how much of a disaster late mughal governance was and why groups like the Jain bankers would switch sides to them (they actually paid things on time and knew how to work with money) but I guess you could say that the author might have glossed over details.
Is there a book that you would suggest as a companion piece to get a different perspective?

Basically anything about Nader Shah invasion deals with it plus anything about Aurangzeb attempt to force convert the Hindus of India.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

EoinCannon posted:

Thank you for the Figes recommendation, thread. I'm enjoying it so far

After this and the Russian Afghan war I can tell I'm going to want to learn about the Balkans

Sadly I don’t believe there are any good books on Russias various wars in the Balkans in the 19th century

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Does anyone have a good book(s) on the history and culture of the Mormons

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

The_Other posted:

Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer is a good place to start, although it mainly covers the early history of the Mormons / Latter Day Saints (LDS) to provide a background for the history of some of the fundamentalist groups that split from the church, which in turn provides a basis for understanding the murder of Brenda Lafferty and her daughter by her fundamentalist brothers-in-law. The book is more true crime than straight history.

The show is honestly why I need to read more

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Does anyone know of any good books about the various coups/counter-coups and general political of post-imperial African states.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lawman 0 posted:

Honestly I feel like biographies have unfairly fallen out of favor recently?
They seem useful to me for getting inside the shoes of people but I don't remember the last time one a historical one was really popular?

Biographies are one of those things that cycle for sure. Right now they and political science are kind of out but if something good comes around they will be back.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Does anyone know a good book in English on the Kingdom of Kongo. I cannot for the life of me find one.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Gripweed posted:

I started reading Yugoslavia: Death of a Nation and in the introduction they say that a big part of their thesis is that the problem was the US didn't intervene early or hard enough.

I don't think I'm gonna vibe with this book.

Given the fact that it was mass ethnic cleansing on all sides in that war, everyone should have intervened hard.

I doubt there will ever be a Shake Hands with the Devil level boom about the Yugoslav Civil war, but there should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

blue squares posted:

Alternatively, Hardcore History’s massive multi-part WW1 podcast series is also really good

It’s really not very good and I can’t remember if it’s this one or War in the Pacific where he goes full on racist.