Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Underarm
Dec 17, 2006

Chamberk posted:

TuppingLiberty, for the 60s/70s "Nixonland" (which has been mentioned several times in this thread, for good reason) has a good look at a lot of the protest movements and the government's response to them.

I just finished Dogs of God by James Reston, a book about Ferdinand and Isabella and how they oversaw the Inquisition, Columbus's voyage, and the defeat of the Moors of Granada. I really enjoyed it, not only because it was a pretty easy read and had a lot of interesting personal details about the famous historical figures. I found the time period fascinating - the apocalyptic mindset and the clash of religions especially - and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for stuff from the same time period. I do plan on checking out his other books about the Crusades and Galileo, but anything interesting and readable about the 1400-1600 era of Europe would be great.

Well I don't know if the Spanish Conquest of Mexico interests you but here is a good one. It is written by one of the Spanish soldiers under Hernan Cortes. It is really informative such as how the natives lived at the time and the methods on which Cortes took over New Spain (Mexico). Pretty objective writing for the time. Especially since he was a Spanish soldier. You would be surprised to the methods in which Hernan Cortes colonized the country.

Examples: Infighting in the Spaniards, politics, war, sacrifices etc

Velvet Underarm fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU