Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Tekopo posted:

I'm currently reading the second volume of Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote, having just finished the battle of Fredicksburg. It makes a nice detail, yet still surprisingly light read: I read Battle Cry of Freedom before I attempted to start reading this, which was a very good read as well, but since I wanted something more detailed, this fit the bill quite nicely.

What's up Shelby Foote buddy. I'm halfway through Volume 3. If you're interested in individual battles, Stephen W. Sears has written some great one volume histories of Gettysburg, Chancellorsville, Antietam and the Peninsula Campaign.

John Keegan's 'The American Civil War' is also a good overview, although it's not a straight history since he's more interested in examining the factors that influenced the war such as geography, the effects of rifle fire etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Tekopo posted:

I'm about 100 pages away from finishing Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative, which took me around a year due to being busy with a new job and taking a break of a couple of months after I finished the second Volume. It feels like I went through an epic journey and can't wait to finish it (and re-read it again in a couple of years time).

Did the same thing last year. It's a hell of an experience.

"Soon now, that hundred miles of Virginia with its glittering rivers and dusty turnpikes, its fields of grain and rolling pastures, the peace of generations soft upon it like the softness in the voices of its people, would be obscured by the swirl and bank of cannon smoke, stitched by the fitful stabs of muzzle flashes, until at last, lurid as the floor of hell itself, it would seem to have been made for war as deliberately as a chessboard was designed for chess."

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

I'm going in with 0 reference, I was looking for a text that like explains not super in depth like what happened between the end of WWI and 2 to cause the conflict. Inferno just jumps straight into Germany invading Poland and not explaining why or anything. :shrug:

Inferno isn't a general overview. Hastings says so right in the introduction. It's a book written more about how the war was viewed and experienced by everyday people.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

oompah posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an especially good book on the Siege of Leningrad?

The 900 Days is excellent. I read it in college and have been meaning to reread it.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

Hue: 1968 covers just about everyone. NVA, Viet Cong, ARVN, civilians. It's a really good read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Any preface on an order to read these? Either in a chronological order or what book is going to make me want to read the rest?

I picked up the Battle for Moscow and now want to read the the rest. Already have the Retreat from Moscow on my bookshelf ready rack.

As mentioned above he does a great job demolishing the clean Wehrmact, the 'Germans could have pulled it off' myth, and the general competency of the German high command (in comparison to the much maligned Stavka) all while writing a great operational history.

The German command was absolutely ordering just as many pointless poorly executed frontal assaults in November 1941 as the Soviets were in early July.

Anyway, absolutely recommend.