Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a book on the Iroquois confederation's history, especially its interactions with colonists and later the American government? I grew up not far from one of the several reservations in NY, and while I figured I was being lied to in school, I never really followed up on it. I know more about the plains tribes than the people whose land I grew up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Thank you! Purchased.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean lol, but honestly same. if some series i like does a event/time period thats interesting. i will read about it.

hell one of the reasons i like games/media with deep lore is because i am a history nerd.
Ask me about annoying my wife by rabbit holing the people and events going on on the TV while she watches the Crown.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Minenfeld! posted:

I guess I have a bachelor's of lore?
I used AP American lore and AP European lore credits to help graduate early with a political science degree.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, it just came naturally. I have always loved lore. I was that nerdy kid that liked to go to the lore museum, and was the only one in my class who liked field trips to the lore village. The blacksmith there was super cool.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

This explains your posting lore.
Look pal, just because you've got a lore PhD...

I've got nuthin

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Strange Cares posted:

What's a good book about the Enlightenment in Europe?
Not one written by Pick?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Strange Cares posted:

I don't know what that means, but sure. I can clarify more on what I'm looking for - written for someone who doesn't have a ton of grounding in the subject beyond what you learn in school, preferably with a focus on various enlightenment figures and their personalities.

I was jokingly referring to this a couple posts above:

Pick posted:

Smart money is farming out the actual book writing process to somebody in another country who will do it for three dollars an hour, then just go through and make edits. Or don't, whatever.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I fear I am asking for an impossible thing here, but:

Had a conversation with my 7th grader who was annoyed that her social studies class still acts like Africa is still all huts and Masai tribes, which made me realize that I know gently caress all about sub-saharan Africa except it got colonized and then there were a bunch of proxy wars after WWII.

Has anyone written a good survey of African history, ideally pre-19th century? Or even an African version of "Looking East From Indian Country?"

I fear such a thing doesn't exist because its such a massive topic with tons of tribal and ethnic histories intertwined.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

stereobreadsticks posted:

[quote="Chairman Capone" post="512115167"]
It's not quite the time period you specified but general books I assign for my Modern Africa course are Roland Oliver and Anthony Atmore's "Africa since 1800" and Hakim Adi and Marika Sherwood's "Pan-African History: Political figures from Africa and the Diaspora since 1787"

Oliver & Atmore also have a book called Medieval Africa 1250-1800 that covers precolonial Africa. It's a short book on a big topic so I'm sure there are more in depth books out there but as an introduction it's alright.

Thanks to both of you. Its somewhere for me to start.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Since I'm already not sleeping and utterly terrified for America's future, are there any good books that explore popular support of fascism in America in the 1930s? I'm hoping I can take some solace from the process of ultimately choosing the right side in WWII (while letting IBM help with the holocaust and Coca Cola sell drinks to Nazis). Maybe I should just re-read The Plot Against America.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

just read about the KKK in the 20s and how they could hold ticker tape sized parades in Washington DC.
There's the entirety of American history to read re America is racist AF, that's not an issue. Though I'd also love to read about how support for fascist governments has been vastly overstated as well.

Porfiriato posted:

It’s not directly about it, but Hitler in Los Angeles was a good read about how a ring of basically amateur undercover agents, many of them Jewish, managed to keep tabs on and foil a lot of Nazi activity on the West Coast in the 1930s. As part of that it gets into the history of the pro-Nazi/fascist movement in America at the time and how it worked to generate popular support.
This just seems rad in general. Will add it to my library queue.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Looking for something insanely specific that my Amazon and google skills are not up to. Can anyone point to a history of Sears rise into a ubiquitous mail order company through it putting stores in every city and mall? There's some stuff written about its fall, and a lot of business-heavy reading, but I can't find a good history about it's growth as mail order and then onto main street.

Context for this is looking at Amazon putting in warehouses in every city, sending out a toy catalog, and starting to build physical stores and wondering if they're just Sears 2.0

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Telsa Cola posted:

Sears was a ubiquitous mail order company before malls were really a thing. The Sears catalog kicks off in like the 1888s though selection was fairly limited.

Only really know this off the top of my head because old Sears catalogs are hoarded by archaeologists because they are really handy for identification .

For instance this chronology has them opening their first retail store in 1925, which is 30 years after they start pumping out catalogs

http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/chronology.htm
Realized I phrased that poorly. I mean a history from its rise into a massive mail order company in the early 20th century to then being a ubiquitous mall store 50 years later as malls popped up in every town. Enough has been written about its downfall, im interested in its rise.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It’s not a biography but The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen won a Pulitzer Prize. I have not read it yet, but it’s gotten rave reviews from people I know who’ve read it and it’s always great to get points of view about the war, from the north and the south, by Vietnamese themselves.
This is a phenomenal book, and anyone in this thread would probably enjoy it, but it's not really about the war per se. The war is more the canvas the story is created on.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Is there a definitive book on COINTELPRO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Is there a definitive, digestible volume on repairing the world after WWII? I'm thinking more along the lines of how things were physically rebuilt, economic activity picked back up, people fed, etc. than an academic critique of the Marshall Plan.