Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Confused Enormatons
Apr 12, 2007

Tupping Liberty posted:

Thank you - I like that project suggestion. I agree that primary sources should be the basis of history classes. My aunt recently gave me some Life magazines from the late 30s, just paging through the ads was fascinating.

To be more specific, I was asking for book recommendations for myself, not something my 11th graders would read.

The Wages of Whiteness by David Roedigger: Looks at how diverse European ethnic groups became white in the late 19th century by creating and excluding an "other" group (blacks). Includes a lot of labor history.

A Different Mirror by Ronald Takaki: Brief histories of many different ethnic groups in the U.S. and their interactions with each other from the colonial era to today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU