Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarlaxle
Jul 12, 2007

In Dog We Trust

Sad Mammal posted:

What books on "barbarian" civilizations can you recommend? Vikings, Goths, Vandals, all are welcome, though I have a particular interest in the vikings.

Ibn Fadlan's reports on his time with the Rus (probably vikings) are a great read: http://www.amazon.com/Ibn-Fadlan-Land-Darkness-Travellers/dp/0140455078/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344061926&sr=8-1&keywords=ibn+fadlan

He provides some of the only eyewitness accounts of viking culture and custom that we have today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarlaxle
Jul 12, 2007

In Dog We Trust
Can anyone recommend some good books about the ancient history of the Levant? Something really essential on Israel covering any period from pre-history up until the Mameluk/Ottoman period would be great, but I'd also love any really good books on the Eastern Mediterranean as a whole, anywhere in the same time frame. I'm a Near Eastern archaeology major looking to focus my interests for grad school, so I'll take any and all recommendations you can give me.

Slightly related, I'd love to read anything about the history of Acre/Akko, either in the Crusader period, or Napoleon's failed siege of the city in 1799 (Al-Jezzar was more than a little crazy and I want to read more about him telling Napoleon to gently caress off).