Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I like roman history a lot, and because of that I dig the Punic wars a lot, because really, who doesn't? Some of history's best characters emerge in those conflicts.

I'm wondering now if there are any good Books on the Carthaginian side of affairs, just for this war, but for their society as a whole? I know there are tons of books on Hannibal, and of course there would be, but I'm looking for something that could shed some light on the culture of Carthage: their society, beliefs, customs, and history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Thanks for the quick reply, I ordered it for my kindle. Can't wait to read it.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Does anyone have any good books on Ukraine in the 20th century? I've recently become very interested in this period and am mainly interested in the holodomors, civil war, and any kind of movement against the USSR/for ukrainian culture. My family emigrated from Ukraine in the 1920s, but we've kept no culture or historical knowledge from Ukraine, so I'm kind of eager to learn what kind of environment they escaped from (at that time I know it was basically just horrible), and about the culture the soviets tried to erase. This stuff doesn't seem to easy to find.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Xotl posted:

Just noticed this one. The problem you'll have with this topic is, because it's been so little researched (as you've noted), it tends to be dominated by nationalist interpretations, which are often self-serving or have bought into certain nationalist myths. For example, with the Holodomor, the popular notion amongst Ukrainians is the idea that it was a deliberately inflicted starvation - a Holocaust - whereas the academic conclusion tends more along the lines of blaming colossal inefficiency, blind optimism, a fear/inability to report the truth in a brutal Stalinist system, and ill-timed and poorly implemented organizational changes (though to be fair, some scholars blame Stalin too). But to try and argue for a non-deliberate explanation to the average Ukrainian is to become a Soviet/Stalinist apologist (as if instead arguing that it was merely a system so badly run that several million starved to death was somehow a useful apologetic) and effectively a Holocaust denier. In my time working on the subject I was always extremely uneasy for this reason and never discussed things with the older Ukrainians I came into contact with (and the people I worked with used to joke about what we'd do when we received all the money from our cheques Putin was supposed to be paying us for our faithful, pro-Russian work - we were actually accused of this).

For the two sorts of scholarship on the subject, you could check out Harvest of Sorrow by Robert Conquest or Michael Ellman, vs. The Years of Hunger: Soviet Agriculture, 1931–33 by Davies & Wheatcroft or John-Paul Himka. There is a lively debate on the issue.

Don't even attempt to form a solid stance on the UPA/OUN, the anti-Jewish pogroms, the Polish-Ukrainian divide, etc, without serious study, because you will find a great deal of massively polarized literature on the topic and can be easily led astray by examining just one or two books.

Hey, thanks for this response. Basically the only thing I knew about Ukrainian culture growing up was that we hated the Russians, so I'm not exactly going in unbiased (unfortunately.) Maybe you could point me towards some more broad books about the history and culture of Ukraine? I'm interested in the Holodomors but really I just want to learn more about Ukraine on the whole. I literally know nothing, so maybe it's better I start from a broader view before jumping into a heavily debated scholarly topic like the holodomor.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

LionArcher posted:

Any history books other than the people’s history going into details about Columbus being a monster? Because extended family goes to a church that just had a service that just white washed the poo poo out of him being a good Christian and I need more ammo for Next visit.

Patrick Wyman’s The Verge dedicates a chapter to it. Not an academic time but if fighting with the family Is the goal it gives you what you need in about an hour.

Having said that you should listen to the the previous poster who recommended 1493 because it is phenomenal.