Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I find investigate journalism really fascinating, not only in the results but in the process. I love reading about reporters digging into things and the how-to of uncovering evidence and finding sources.

What are some good books that not only tell a great story but also show you how that story was discovered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kalman posted:

John Carreyrou’s Bad Blood is pretty good on this (his investigation into Theranos); it’s a little different but Jorge Contreras’s Genome Defense is about the SCOTUS challenge to gene patents. Contreras is a law professor and had solid access to many of the people involved, and much of the book focuses on how the people involved developed the approach they were going to use in their challenge.

Thanks! I’ve read Bad Blood but I’ll look into Genome Defense

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

knox posted:

Your emoji argument is supposed to mean what exactly?

That Talbots assertions are bunk, thus rendering the entire work suspect and in my opinion a waste of time to read

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I finished The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. It was one of the best history books I have ever read: sweeping, intensely detailed, total in its scope and harrowing in its devastating conclusion.

What should I read next? I want to read another detailed work like it, probably about a scientific process that was majorly impactful to the world. Perhaps there is something comparable that is about NASA/getting to the moon? I'm open to things not just about science, but other sorts of massive projects that were important, shaped by and shaping the times in which they happened.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

An obvious follow up is Dark Sun, Rhodes' book about the development of the hydrogen bomb. It also covers the Soviet espionage campaign to steal nuclear technology so it has a spy thriller vibe, I liked it more.

That makes sense and sounds interesting. The Making of the Atomic Bomb ends immediately after the Japanese surrender. I'm very interested in continuing the story. I want to know more about the role that nuclear weapons had on postwar international politics

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

This week I finished Taylor Branch's At Canaan's Edge, the third and final volume of his MLK/Civil Rights movement history. They are far and away my favorite history books ever, not to mention the most moving. If you're even scantly interested in the subject, it is worth at least reading the first book, Parting the Waters.

I just started the first. I really like it! Reminds me of Caro’ LBJ series

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm reading (and loving) the MLK books recommended ITT. King and people he worked with talked a lot about Gandhi. I'd love to read a book about Gandhi. What's a good one?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years is an exhaustive history of Christianity. I didn’t finish it because I was reading other things and it was too in-depth for me at the time, but it does take you through everything

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

To not abandon real-history chat, I'm two chapters into Parting the Waters and it is excellent. I appreciate the author taking his time and it's interesting to get details of the types of theology taught in the 1940s and what the controversies were.

I've been reading it too because of this thread (alongside other books). It's very good, although at times a bit too detailed. When its intense the book is absolutely harrowing, but then there are long chunks that can be harder to stay interested in. Regardless, I love it, and its almost as good as Robert Caro.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How technical/dry are you interested in?

most of naval history is fairly wet, if i'm not mistaken

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

FPyat posted:

460 pages into The Making of the Atomic Bomb and only now do the scientists finally turn to the matter of how to take all the atomic physics of the first half of the book and make a bomb with it.

It’s the densest book I’ve ever read for fun

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jeremor posted:

Could anyone recommend a good book on the French revolution of 1789? Always been interested, would like something informative but still fun, ideally

Citizens is quite good, but is not exactly fun… very very in depth

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Can I just send you money? I don’t have PMs but if you post a venmo or something I will contribute!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’ll be visiting Paris and Amsterdam next year. I’d love some good histories of each city so that as I explore I can be familiar with the major events that occurred in the areas I see. I love knowing the stories behind different buildings, areas, etc

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

The thing I love about Paris is that a wander of the city is really a wander through a lot of western philosophy.

Around Jardin des Plantes? You get continental Natural History off every street sign (read Gould to get into the figures of Bouffon, Lammark, and of course Cuvier--most are buried in Pere Lachaise along with Wilde, Proust, Hugo, Balzac, etc.).

Anywhere in the 5eme there are scads of works set there. My most recent read of mine set there (in part) was Eco's Foucault's Pendulum.

Go into the Pantheon specifically and just absorb the history.

Wandering south around Montparnasse? Read Hemingway. Hell, Movable Feast covers the central core well enough, esp the Mouffetard of course.

Paris is just a gem and I love it. You can't turn a corner without running into a historical marker. Roman ruins? Check. A Roman bath or coliseum? Check (Cluny Musee and Arene des Lutecs, respectively). Piles of bones, hit the catacombs. Want to see where the Bastille was? They have its walls marked off on the ground where it was. The guillotine was used around there as well, but also Place de la Concorde. Those famous photos from WWII around the Arc de Triomphe.

Thanks! I'm so excited. I only have two and a half days there before I go to Amsterdam, so I will do my best to make the most of every minute

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

I recently finished book five, and my main takeaway was "wow, it's amazing how much bad stuff happened because there was nobody whose actual job it was to make bad stuff stop happening, and nobody who might have put an end to it was willing to pay the political price of doing the smart/right thing."

Whew, glad I live in a more civilized, liberal age

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Sounds pretty interesting will check out.

Same. I downloaded the sample on my kindle

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

For your second recommendation, check out The Faithful Executioner. It’s about the life of an executioner named Frank Schmidt in Germany in that time period. It’s very good. Based on his notes he took of his life, which are pretty much one of a kind for that combination of time period and profession

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's Franz, but seconded.

haha, phone posted and the autocorrect got me

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’m reading Battle Cry of Freedom about the US Civil War and it’s pretty great. Never knew southerners were trying to invade Cuba, and successfully took over Nicaragua (!) for a short time. Wild!

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 29, 2024

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Whenever I start reading a new history book, it’s so hard to stay focused just on it. I have a Kindle, so every time my book touches on a subject I am curious about, it’s easy to download a sample of another book that covers that subject. And so on

Sometimes I think it would be enjoyable to pick a starting period and try to read chronologically from there, continuously adding books to the list as I learn. But I would a) probably make very little progress forward and b) eventually get sick of the depth in one era and want to leap forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Alternatively, Hardcore History’s massive multi-part WW1 podcast series is also really good