Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
I randomly stumbled across Georges Duby's William Marshal: Flower of Chivalry while browsing the annual book sale at my local library. At 182 pages and not a single footnote it's definitely light reading, especially if you, like me, are currently in graduate school studying medieval history. That said, it's damned entertaining, and a really good micro/cultural history of feudalism and chivalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

PatMarshall posted:

That looks cool; thanks for the recommendation, I'd never heard of it.

I'll just chime in and say that the Great Cat Massacre is a hugely important book to modern historiography, as one of the early examples of what would grow into cultural history. It's very easy to read, as it's a group of essays on often widely divergent topics with shared themes, rather than a monograph on a single subject. You can take it in very manageable bites and still get a lot out of it.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

Zhaan posted:

The first would be a history of piracy (and if it was more than just European piracy, that would be fantastic) that is informative but avoids romanticizing the subject too much.

Under the Black Flag: The Romance and Reality of Life Among the Pirates is pretty good for this, and it's the sort of thing you can find in almost any Barnes & Noble. It specifically takes on the romanticized image of the pirate, tracing it to its roots with Robert Louis Stevenson, and then exploding the whole thing. It does focus primarily on European pirates in the Caribbean, but it also talks at some length about the Corsairs of the Mediterranean.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

coyo7e posted:

This one's unabridged on audible, FYI.

Worth noting, though, that it has some pretty good pictures and maps if you buy a hard copy. Forgot to mention that before.