Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Does anyone know of any good books that deal with British history?

Specifically I'd love some sort of detailed guide on the history of the British parliament :3:

And/or I'd love a book that deals with the entirety of recorded British history, from Celtic times up to the modern age (I've read some of the free books on Kindle on the topic, but they seem to be mostly from (roughly) the Victorian era and quite biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Trin Tragula posted:

This is a real table-breaker in dead-tree form, but well worth it:

http://www.amazon.com/London-Biography-Peter-Ackroyd/dp/0385497717/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1328827394&sr=8-4

It's not a history of kings and queens, it's a history of ordinary people (best exemplified by the bits where it mentions how various and numerous monarchs issued various and numerous proclamations to the effect that the growth of London Must Be Curtailed At All Costs, all of which were politely ignored); but it does have the wide thousands-of-years span you're looking for. It's a decent enough starting point, since an awful lot of things in English/British history either happened in London or had some sort of consequence for London.

Now, for a classic kings-and-queens story you really can't beat the seminal Our Island Story, which is by no means an ideal treatment of history (some parts of it are recountings of myths or legends, some parts of it are patrician and patronising, some parts of it treat Shakespeare as a reputable historian), but it's a good starting point for you to read through, with constant convenient marker points as the monarchs come and go, and see what makes you think "This period sounds interesting, I'll find out a bit more about it" or "I'm not sure I agree with that, I'll see what other people have to say about the time". If you do read it, please make sure and read 1066 And All That right afterwards, though.

:3: Much love, goon sir!