Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I got a friend into Lies my Teacher Told me, and while he is enjoying it, he asked me to see if I could find any books that are basically what Lies is advertised as, a bunch of snippets of history that we all 'Have wrong', traditionally speaking, like the Columbus myth Lies goes over for example. Any ideas?

I recently started reading "The Way we Never Were: American Families and the Nostalgia Trap" by Stephanie Coontz. It compares what we think of as "traditional" family values with historical data. I haven't finished it yet, but it's pretty interesting so far.

Another book along similar lines that I haven't read yet is "The Best War Ever" by Michael Adams, which is about the romanticized view that many people have of WWII, contrasted with the historical realities. I'm interested in reading this, but haven't picked it up yet, so if anybody's read it, let me know how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

- Bernice Bobs Her Hair. Short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Available for free.

I had never read this before, thanks for the tip!

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Trump posted:

I'm looking for some reading about England during the Victorian era. Especially about life in London and in the colonies. It doesn't matter if it's slighty romanticised, aslong as it's not completely inaccurate.

I don't know if that makes any sense :)

Jack London's People of the Abyss is a record of the time he spent living with the homeless in London around the turn of the century. He rented an apartment, then left all his money there, put on old clothes, and lived as a homeless person for a while. It's a fascinating account, and it's also free as an ebook or audiobook through Project Gutenberg, etc.