Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I just finished Art History at my school and though I found it fascinating, a whole lot was glossed over and very dry thanks to the professor. Does anyone know of good books to start with? I'm open to any periods and styles - there is much yet to learn!

And one more request, if you would. I'm at the part of art studentry where I start to ask myself what is art to me and all that business (the art world is loving weird). So if there are any good artist journals/autobiographies available, that would be amazing. I picked up the journals of Keith Haring (http://i.imgur.com/KOPkG.jpg); what inspired someone with artist training to produce a really different style of art sound awesome. Unfortunately, not a lot of artists keep diaries or write an autobiography.

To contribute, The Art Spirit by Robert Henri is an amazing read into the place of art and artists in society. If you are an aspiring artist, he offers technical advice and philosophical questions about what an artist is. I make it sound terrible, but it is an amazing and easy read.

A quote, to counter my terrible recommendation: "Most people, either by training or inheritance, count themselves at the start as 'no good,' or 'second rate' or 'just like anyone else.' whereas in everyone there is a great mystery; every single person in the world has evidence to give of his own individuality, providing he has acquired the full power to make clear this evidence."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

SlightButSteady posted:

I maybe barking up the wrong tree here, and you've probably heard of Robert Hughes' Shock of the New, covering 20th Century art and architecture. My only complaint is that it's too short, it needs to be a huge 12-volume opus because it's brilliant. He also made a documentary series which is on youtube.

You know, I vaguely remember my Writing About Art teacher saying something about it, but I never acted on it. Time to correct this problem - thanks for the suggestion!