Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I just finished Art History at my school and though I found it fascinating, a whole lot was glossed over and very dry thanks to the professor. Does anyone know of good books to start with? I'm open to any periods and styles - there is much yet to learn!

Interaction of Color by Josef Albers

In Praise of Shadows by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki

These first two deal with the relativity of aesthetics. The first touches on our perception of color and form while outlining some interesting theories about art education while the second is all about Japanese aesthetic of beauty compared to "Western" ideas of beauty. Both are very short but incredibly eye opening if you are interested in art and aesthetics.

The Work of Art in the Age of Its Technological Reproducibility, and Other Writings on Media
by Walter Benjamin

Society of the Spectacle by Guy DEBORD

These two are also short and deal more with philosophy of contemporary art and media. They offer marxist critiques of contemporary art practice and are required reading if you want to understand the issues concerning contemporary artists, especially those dealing with postmodernism, media, advertising, design, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU