Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I'm looking for a World War I book that focuses on the political/cultural aspects of the war. It seems like most basic overviews spend a disproportionate amount of time on the battles and military startegies.

You want Paul Fussell's The Great War and Modern Memory. It examines the British experience of the war and it's impact on culture and literature. Its really, really good. I also just picked up Rites of Spring by Modris Eksteins which examines the war and its relationship with modernism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Drone posted:

I haven't read it (though I own it), but Europe: A History by Norman Davies is probably the most comprehensive thing out there. Aside from that, you'd be better off picking something more specific that interests you and reading just about that.

I can confirm that Europe owns. It corrects a lot of the overemphasis on Western Europe prevalent in earlier histories (in English). I kinda want to re-read it now, but I'm pretty sure my copy would disintegrate if I tried; books that size are not meant to be softcovers.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

ChetReckless posted:

What's a good book to read on the French Revolution?

Age of Revolution by Eric Hobsbawm, Citizens by Simon Schama, The French Revolution by Thomas Carlyle.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

coyo7e posted:

I'm fond of The Great Cat Massacre, which I found in a toss-out bin outside a used bookstore.

That looks cool; thanks for the recommendation, I'd never heard of it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Davincie posted:

I read 2 history books this vacation. The first was about the Basque people and it's called The Basque History of the World: The Story of a Nation by Mark Kurlansky. While it generally is good the author does have a (not very surprising, considering his other work) tendency to get derailed and start discussing food in the middle of chapters. There's also a bunch of introductions to people that go nowhere but overall it was an enjoyable and easy read.

The other book I read was Hans Vogel's History of Latin America which was, for as far as I got, absolutely dry and badly written. None of the information in the parts of the book I read (I got to about 30% before I gave up) was anything above the level of the average wikipedia article so I really can't recommend this. If anyone has a good book about Latin-American revolutions however I would be glad to hear it.

I'm enjoying Bolivar by Marie Arana, but I know nothing about South American history, so take that with a grain of salt.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah there's a bunch of stuff on WWI published recently to coincide with the centenary. My favorite book about WWI is The Great War and Modern Memory by Fussell, but its more about the cultural reverberations of the war in a specifically British context. Guns of August is great, especially if you want an account of the march to war. The topic of who is to blame for the war is fraught, and there are many books with many different arguments. I enjoyed The Pity of War by Niall Ferguson, even if he is an rear end in a top hat.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Any recommendations on the Civil Rights Movement that cover all of the bases, i.e. MLK, Malcolm X, the Black Panthers, etc.? My knowledge on the subject is limited to the sanitized version that a lot of Americans learn in high school and I want to get a better grasp on it.

I would also be interested. So far, I've read Taylor Branch's 3 part biography of MLK, and I thought it was excellent. I'm reading some of Baldwin's essays and will probably pick up Malcolm X's autobiography next, but not sure about a good survey of the whole movement.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Foner just reviewed it as well as the new Grant bio in the latest TLS, worth a look. I have them both, but working through What Hath God Wrought first (covering 1812 to 1848).

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Looking for recommendations for books on Teddy Roosevelt or MLK Jr. if they have quality audiobooks it would be appreciated.

Taylor Branch's three volume biography of King is fantastic (start with Parting the Waters). Looks like there is an audiobook version as well.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I believe Phillippe Oriol's book on Dreyfus is the most up to date, but I don't think it's been translated to English. I've shamefully only read accounts in biographies of Proust and Zola, but they were helpful. I think Frederick Brown's For the Soul of France is supposed to be good, but I haven't read it yet, so I can't confirm.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I've heard good things about Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America by Richard White. I just finished his book on the gilded age in general and really enjoyed it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

America specific, but There is Power in a Union by Dray was good.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

This sounds silly, but agadmator on youtube is great for chess history. I also have Bobby Fischer's 60 Games and Mikhail Tal's Life and Games, and they are great, but you need a board in front of you to follow along.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

CV Wedgwood's book on the 30 years war is really good. Its probably out of date in some respects, but it was a really great read.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

They just declassified the archives, so hopefully we get a full account in the nearish future.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

They are so unbelievably good.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah they're both great, but Foner is for sure the better choice for Reconstruction, but both well worth reading.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yes. It's a good book, as are the rest of the series (although the 20th century volume is probably too close to the material). Obviously it's a Marxist history and has some blind spots, but I really enjoy Hobsbawm.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

about 90% of them are probably just cribbing from david chandler's The Campaigns of Napoleon so, well, you may as well go to the source

Yeah, its really good. Also the Age of Napoleon is a good podcast, but not really what you asked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Hirohito and the making of modern Japan was good, although I'm no expert.