Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

Reminds me to finally read The Plantagenets this year

I read it last year. It’s good! The follow up on the War of the Roses: also good! Really makes you understand why ASOIAF is so loving bloody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if there’s a more contemporary version of Edward Gibbons “Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire”? I’m interested in that period of history but it’s hard to find books about. Everything is about the Romans, or the Byzantines or starts later.

I have tried to read Decline and Fall, but remember it feeling quite dated.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Modern, better books tend to be more specialized. I'd recommend all of these:

The Inheritance of Rome, Chris Wickham.
The Fate of Rome, Kyle Harper.
The New Roman Empire, Anthony Kaldellis (I have not read this yet but all his other stuff is good so I am pretty confident here)
Streams of Gold, Rivers of Blood, Anthony Kaldellis.
Alaric the Goth, Douglas Boin.

I would probably start with The New Roman Empire, it's a narrative overview from Constantine to the end.

Awesome, thank you :)