Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Nerdburger_Jansen posted:

I suppose that, even if it's an antiquated view, I expect after reading a history to have the ability to articulate a general outline of major events and polities in a region. This book did not provide that. If a good modern history requires me already to know the outline, then I have to ask – where does the buck stop? I have to, at some point, actually be told who Harald Finehair and Harald Bluetooth are. This was a history of the Vikings which, shockingly, did not do that.

Edit: I meant Harald Fairhair. See, the book didn't even teach me the name right...

Both Fairhair and Fine hair are slightly inaccurate but still commonly used forms, leaving the impression that his hair might have been unusually thin or light coloured. The most accurate would be something like Lovely-Locks or Good hair, but those haven't caught on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU