Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I've vastly expanded my Book Depository wishlist due to this thread. In return I'd like to offer Peter Englund's The Beauty and the Sorrow.

I found it to be a fantastic collage of personal experiences from the First World War. It is a little dramatised, and you won't find much in the way of insights into the grander social/political narrative, but it does provide a unique look into the lives of real people. I enjoyed it very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Just ordered myself a copy of this:

Pretty excited. Christopher Clark is pretty excellent (His book Iron Kingdom is really very good if you're interested in Prussia). Not to mention it's the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of World War I this year.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Kuiperdolin posted:

The Crusades: statistically one of HITLER's ancestors probably fought in them or something

Speaking of which, is there a go-to book for a narrative history of the First Crusade?

I enjoy the writing style of Christopher Clark, Helen Castor and Tom Holland if that helps in any way.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Charlie Mopps posted:

Take a look at Thomas Asbridge's The First Crusade: A New History: The Roots of Conflict between Christianity and Islam or Jonathan Riley-Smith's The First Crusade and the Idea of Crusading .

Thanks! The first one was one I was already looking at, so I'll just go ahead and grab it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

I read The First Total War in a college class on the French Revolution and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I second this book. I read it in my second year of Uni and it was great!