Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I am also wondering if there have been any works written on the Soviet invasion of Japanese occupied Manchuria near the end of WWII. I presume it was kind of a one sided blitz, but I am curious about those two nations colliding at that point given their history with each other.

Richard Frank's Downfall has a chapter on it. The whole book is great if you want to understand the end of the war in the pacific, including how and why the decision to use the nukes was reached. You don't necessarily have to agree with his conclusion (that the nukes were justified and probably the most "humane" way to end the war), but I found his arguments pretty good and his attention to detail is astonishing.

There are layers upon layers upon layers of factors which determined events in and around Japan in 1945, and he takes you through all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Sad Mammal posted:

Can anyone recommend books on medieval military history, or books on any pre-World War martial history in general?

Geoffrey Parker's The Military Revolution is a good overview about the development of warfare in early modern times, but not without its problems. Not sure if that is what you wanted.

John Keegan's The Face of Battle is an amazing book that pretty much singlehandedly build his reputation as a military historian. He analyzes the Battles of Agincourt, Waterloo and the Somme and tries to give you an idea how it must have been standing there.