Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I found this in my local library. It's a pretty good read so far, I just finished the section on the first crusade. Should give a lot more context for the next time I play Crusader Kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Does this thread have a general Audible recommendation list? Just finished a book on Frank McLynn's book on good ol' Genghis Khan and am looking to spend a new credit. I don't really care about subject, just want it to be interesting, have a good narrator, and a strong enough narrative thorough line that I can concentrate on it (I've found that books that are too broad in their focus are sometimes hard to follow in audiobook form).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Might as well add Before the Storm, to complete the Perlstein lineup.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Koramei posted:

Are there general history books on premodern India/ South Asia and Indochina that people would recommend? I'm realizing I don't even have the broad strokes down for those regions and I'd like to amend that.

John Keay's India: A History is what it says. Don't know about SEA though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Buy him a copy of The Rising Sun and say you confused the title if he calls you out on it. Its kinda old but a pretty good read. Max Hastings is okay, and anything by Hornfischer is gold.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Perlstein was well received by conservatives before he started writing about Reagan iirc.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I definitely enjoyed McLynn's Khan biography and found it really engaging. He goes into good detail about the culture and tribal politics of the Mongolia region and all the places the Khan invaded, which is really fascinating. It helps that the subject is really interesting. The early part of Temujin's life is like something out of Conan book, and once he becomes Khan the Mongols just kind of explode across Asia and just kind of trounce everyone around, kinda like Napoleon.

The only thing I really want is a follow up that goes into detail about his grandson Kublai or something. McLynn keeps going for a little while after the Khan's death in order to wrap things up for that generation of Mongols but still.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

It's alright. Main problem with it is that Roberts is absolutely in love with Napoleon. Thinks he was amazing and defends every bad thing he did, from looting art works to executing Turkish prisoners.

Its the only Napoleon bio I've ever read and I thought it was pretty entertaining, though yea its apologetic in tone.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Looking for a fairly basic read on Chinese history, from ancient to modern.

John Keay wrote a decent overview of all of Chinese history simply called China.

If you don't mind on cutting out the Ancient part of that, then Jonathan Spence's The Search for Modern China is a classic and covers their history from 1600 to the Tiananmen Square protests.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I read Thomas Asbridges book awhile back and quite enjoyed it. https://www.amazon.com/Crusades-Authoritative-History-Holy-Land/dp/0060787295

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Spence's In Search of Modern China covers the period of the late Ming (1600s) to the Tiananmen Square protests. If you get into the country's history at all you're going to be reading some Spence sooner or later since he's one of the foremost historians of the country in the West.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Europe's Tragedy.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Can I get something like that but for the Bolsheviks?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea kind of like what happened to millions of people during the murderous world war European nobility started. Or what serfs endured for a millenia.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I need to re-read that, last time was like thirty years ago. Are Massie's other works better or worse?

His Catherine bio was on par. The subject is more sympathetic, at least.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Maybe this

https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Azt...the+aztec+world

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Minenfeld! posted:

It is and I liked it compared with the US version which is a painting. Would that be his preference?

That painted cover looks really cool on the glossy hardback version I saw, to be fair.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Stephen Platt's recent book Imperial Twilight about the Opium War is real good, ya'll.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

1917-1991 :ussr:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Perlstein's got two more books in that series and Reaganland releases next year.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pretty sure that the plagiarism charges are bunk by another Reagan biographer salty that his icon was portrayed negatively, but who knows.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've been enjoying Stephen Kotkin's work but every time I try to find a good audiobook on Soviet history the same pattern emerges.

Book: Lenin's Tomb: The Last Days Of The Soviet Empire
"This sounds interesting, let's look up the author"

quote:

In 2003, Remnick supported the U.S invasion of Iraq, penning editorials in the New Yorker making a case for the war.[14] In the months leading up to the war, the magazine also published numerous articles connecting Saddam Hussein to al-Qaida, often relying on unnamed sources, or simply the claims of Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld, as evidence. Remnick's editorship, and the magazine as a whole, received sharp criticism for their journalism during this period. [15]

"Yeesh, let's try another one."

Book: Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944-1956
"Wow, this sounds like the perfect followup to Kotkin, let's just see who wrote it"

quote:

In October 2002, Applebaum wrote that Americans "should be prepared" for a war with Iraq. She also wrote that "Although I dislike the modern tendency to compare every mad dictator to Hitler, in this narrow sense, the comparison to Saddam might be apt. Are you sure Saddam would not risk the destruction of his country, if he thought, for some reason, that he or his regime was in danger? Do you want to wait and find out?"[35]

In 2004, Applebaum wrote that "President Bush's declaration of opposition to Palestinians' "right of return" to Israel is realistic... Nor, finally, is this solution necessarily illegal, even by the narrow terms of international law. Israel occupies Gaza and the West Bank, after all, as a result of the 1967 war, which Israel did not start".[36]

Book: The Cold War: A New History
Author:

quote:

Gaddis is close to President George W. Bush, making suggestions to his speech writers,[29] and has been described as an "overt admirer" of the 43rd President.[30] After leaving office, Bush took up painting as a hobby at Gaddis's recommendation.[31]

During the US invasion of Iraq, Gaddis argued: “The world now must be made safe for democracy, and this is no longer just an idealistic issue; it’s an issue of our own safety.” [32] During the United States occupation of Iraq, Gaddis asserted that Bush had established America “as a more powerful and purposeful actor within the international system than it had been on September 11, 2001.” Historian James Chace argues that Gaddis supports an "informal imperial policy abroad." [33] Gaddis believes that preventive war is a constructive part of American tradition, and that there is no meaningful difference between preventive and pre-emptive war.[34]

lmao

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom by Stephen Platt is the other good one.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What are some good books about American electoral history? Something like Rick Perlstein (Nixonland), I mean. Something that captures the insanity of the whole thing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've read all his books, I was looking for something equally good for other time periods.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lakedaimon posted:

Seconding the recommendation on the LBJ books by Caro. They cover his original run to get into the House, his failed and then successful Senate runs, and running with JFK. And basically everything in between. Paying for votes, rigged precincts, legal swashbuckling.

See, I want to read this but I'm worried Caro will die before the final volume. I want to know how Johnson deals with Daenerys, damnit!

(Gonna burn an Audible credit on this, thanks)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

personally I only have time for audio grimoires anymore

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What's the book's title?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Quoting from last page:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good question. There’s a brand new book out called A New Word Begins: The History of the French Revolution by Jeremy Popkin. I think it’s the new definitive non academic account of the Revolution.

https://www.amazon.com/New-World-Begins-History-Revolution/dp/0465096662

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tbh Pence comes out sounding even worst in that quote. No pie?! Psycho...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Finished October by China Mieville today, mostly to fill the hole that the Revolutions Podcast's hiatus has left in my life. It's a good read for that purpose but I wish the scope was bigger. I understand that the book is literally called October but ending it at the October Revolution is like ending the story just as it's getting interesting.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My Reaganland preorder just dropped on Audible. Hope it's as good as the last three Perlstein books!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I finished Reaganland earlier this week (I highly recommend it) and was wondering if there were any good books about the 80s and 90s American political history.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

People just need to understand that being badass and being good are separate qualities. Genghis Khan is like Walter White: cool but a baddie. People like to compare him to Hitler but Hitler relied on vast industrial machinery to kill millions whereas Genghis killed people personally. It's the difference between a drone operator and John Wick. That's why Hitler is both bad and uncool.

Hope that clears it up.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm trying to pace out the LBJ books because I have the deranged notion that the series might actually be finished in the next couple of years so if I only do one every half year it will all work out.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

According to a New York Times article from earlier in this year, his current manuscript is ~600 pages long. I have more faith in the old guy finishing his final volume than I do in George RR Martin.

e: One issue is that he's too old to understand computers so he just has thousands of paper notes everywhere like a crazy person.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow, wonder why there were breadlines in 1992. Guess they should have stuck with whatever system they had back when there weren't breadlines.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire by John Toland

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've read both the Alexander book and the Catherine book and second them. I've also read vol 1 of Stephen Kotkin's Stalin series and that's pretty good as well. Haven't read much Russia specific stuff outside of that that I would recommend, though.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

For WW2 China in I always recommend Forgotten Ally by Rana Miller as a general history and Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang for that infamous crime against humanity. Shanghai 1937 by Peter Harmsen is the history of that battle that I remember liking but didn't really stick with me that well.

If you want some of the naval war stuff, I really like the way James Hornfischer writes. He's a great storyteller in the way you want for war stories.