Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Picked up "The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company" and I'm pretty stoked to read it and get incredibly mad.
https://www.amazon.com/Anarchy-Relentless-Rise-India-Company/dp/1408864371

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

webmeister posted:

I read that earlier this year and it's equal parts infuriating and entertaining.

The lament of mughal officials wondering how they lost to a bunch of people who couldn't wash their butts is just. :discourse:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Extremely relevant to my interests.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fighting Trousers posted:

Re: Columbus again.

The first few chapters of Fernando Cervantes's Conquistadores is also a good read. While Cervantes doesn't spend much time on Columbus's atrocities, he does draw a very good portrait of the man. And it's not super flattering, because it quickly becomes apparent he was a myopic dumbass who manipulated his data to serve his conclusions (he'd fit right in in the modern era), neither got along with nor cared to understand his Castilian patrons and followers, and had an ego so massive it produced its own gravity.

Having just finished a series about the age of exploration it seems clear to me that Columbus was in genuine denial about his own discoveries in order to cope with the fact that his initial assumption was wrong.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

Basically ignoring the fact that most of India was ruled by invading dynasties and the East India Company was just another in a long line.
Also the fact that a lot of modern historians tend to long back on pre European colonial society with kids gloves, not seeing any of their faults.

Interesting perspective but I thought that the author made an ok attempt at explaining how much of a disaster late mughal governance was and why groups like the Jain bankers would switch sides to them (they actually paid things on time and knew how to work with money) but I guess you could say that the author might have glossed over details.
Is there a book that you would suggest as a companion piece to get a different perspective?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Biffmotron posted:

I haven’t read it yet myself, but Dean’s Mapping the Great Game has soldi reviews, with a particular focus on Anglo-Indian cartographer-spies along the Himalayan frontier.

I should probably pick that up considering I make maps for a living.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Dane Kennedy's The Last Blank Spaces is a good book on British efforts to map the interiors of Africa and Australia in the 19th century and how the initial attempts based on the premise that they could be mapped essentially following the naval model of charting the Pacific failed, and it involved local people and their knowledge a lot more than the British let on, but also that indigenous people could also subvert British expeditions for their own ends. It's a book I read years ago but still think back on.

Oh man that sounds awesome.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

Basically anything about Nader Shah invasion deals with it plus anything about Aurangzeb attempt to force convert the Hindus of India.

I would absolutely love a book about Nader Shah and the history of Iran during that period do you have suggestions?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Did Figes ever recover from exploding his divorce out in public and the review sockpuppet thing? I liked People's Tragedy and it'd be nice to be able to recommend it to folks again.

What happened???

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gripweed posted:

History books that start each chapter with the author talking about how they went to a place and talked to a person who is vaguely related to the topic of the chapter should have a big warning label on the front so everyone can clearly see that they belong in the garbage.

This is a post about 1421 isn't it?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Does anyone have a good history of the Indonesian maritime empires?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly I feel like biographies have unfairly fallen out of favor recently?
They seem useful to me for getting inside the shoes of people but I don't remember the last time one a historical one was really popular?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Thank you for recommending that era is a big gap in my knowledge, just checked out the first book to get started. Glad there is a well regarded series.

Also just finished Ian Toll’s Pacific War trilogy, definitely a recommend. Interesting how from day 1 Japan was doomed as the US scale of industry was so absurd, he illustrates it well by mentioned how at a colossal US fleet anchorage one destroyer’s primary job was keeping a giant film library onboard and rotating between other ships so they had more entertainment variety, while meanwhile a critical Japanese airplane factory that had been built too far from transportation had issues getting planes where they needed to go after half their oxen died.

One reason I find almost all ww2 alt-history uninteresting is that basically nothing really matters because the Axis was so incredibly outclassed.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyways because of recent events I'm gonna check out Collapse: The Fall of the Soviet Union since I'm looking for some fresh takes on it.
https://www.amazon.com/Collapse-Soviet-Vladislav-M-Zubok/dp/0300257309

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah while I never like to never say never about things like morale failing or whatever it was basically impossible for the Axis to actually defend these conquests and make them work before the Americans/reconstituted Soviets steamrolled them. Just total madness after you read something like The Wages of Destruction and really get a good picture of Axis economic dysfunction.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

People making these alt histories always lack imagination. It's always one or two things changed. Go all the way if your going to do it. The US and Britain get in a shooting war in the thirties that drags both them out of the European war, Japan joins Britain in attacking the US but far earlier. Italy and Germany go to war. Stalin has a heart attack right as Barbarossa is launched leading to either a succession crisis or a much more competent defense depending on what you want to write. Get weird with it.

Right on honestly like zero imagination is so often shown with it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Finally getting my copy of Collapse: The Fall of the Soviet Union today from the library.
Excited to read it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The first like 50 pages of Collapse are insanely brutal to Gorbachev.
Just slam after slam.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have yet to read it but even though Zubok is no big fan of the USSR he can approach the subject from the angle of “well, if the leader of the Soviet Union is aiming to try to keep everything together this is how Gorby hosed it all up”

I mean it's a little mean but the guy was basically acting like he was cramming for a final.
If he didn't try to do prohibition immediately and Chernobyl didn't happen maybe things would have just muddled along.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have yet to read it but even though Zubok is no big fan of the USSR he can approach the subject from the angle of “well, if the leader of the Soviet Union is aiming to try to keep everything together this is how Gorby hosed it all up”

Yeah but even as an aside he noted that Andropov was the guy who convinced Brezhnev to invade Afghanistan "because it would just be a short-term operation" so I think there is alot of blame to go around. Zubok really lays it on thick that the USSR was spinning too many plates at once.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm like halfway through and enjoying it but it is clearly something that should be understood critically.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Does anyone have a book about how Thailand modernized?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Actually I'll just take a good book about Thailand until the modern era.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm at the teotihuacan section of the dawn of everything and though it's not as bad as I expected alot of this seems to be really stretching it. Which is funny because a good chunk of the chapter is mocking guns germs and steel.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Picking up this book from the library this week.
https://www.amazon.com/India-At-War-Subcontinent-Second/dp/0199753490
I just realized I read her partition book and I'm quite excited to read this.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Starks posted:

Any good books on the Dutch East India company? Specifically interested in the inner workings of the company and decision making.

I'm gonna second this.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Put in a request for shattered sword this week.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Picked up shattered sword from the library today and good god is it dense.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FPyat posted:

It was the first history book written for adults I ever read in my life. For my part I found it incredibly breezy and approachable despite knowing little about the course of the first six months of the Pacific War.

Yeah it's well written but there is just alot to absorb on every page.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just got to the part where the Japanese were wargaming midway.
One word: lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Is that in Shattered Sword? This page suggests that the only source for the existence of that war game was Fuchida Mitsuo, and I'm pretty sure I've heard Jonathan Parshall say that he thinks Fuchida is generally full of poo poo, so I'd be surprised to see it repeated uncritically...

I thought he was drawing on another source since the entire thing of this book is that "oh man guys I got the personal papers of the general staff" and I thought he was getting handed new stuff from his Japanese colleagues.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FPyat posted:

Finally reached the part of Peter the Great where he sets off on his grand embassy. 900 page books really are something - making you read a whole novel's worth and only scratch the surface.

Honestly I don't really know about that other than he like stole the Dutch ship designs.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah those are going on the list for me since I've always wondered things like: "Why did Mithridates think he had a chance against rome?" :thunk:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Finished Shattered Sword. Complete banger and the appendix is like 150 pages long of extremely detailed charts and illustrations. :vince:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think wages of destruction might be the maddest I've been at a historical narrative.
Since Tooze was going through the exact mechanisms of how the nazis sucked Europe dry.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FPyat posted:

Daniel Walker Howe's portrayal of Andrew Jackson is so unremittingly horrible that I'm darkly curious to learn how earlier writers were able to put a positive spin on him.

Even during his own time you had a brutal partisan portrayal of him. You can probably blame the positive spin on the redeemers or whatever.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I picked up "Twilight of the Gods" and I'm prepared to have a bad time with it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i liked the first book in the trilogy but alot of those books are very slow. happily it wasnt that dry. i am sure someone more knowledgeble will correct me.

Just cracked it open and it's like 900 pages. :negative:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It seems like a fine conventional style history to me so far. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I started Nixonland and I'm about 200 pages in. It's really quite good.