Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Postwar by Tony Judt is a fantastic history of Europe from 1945 to the beginning of the 21st century. Whilst long, it is very readable and I was never bored. He covers a variety of different aspects of the period, including cultural and intellectual trends. His treatment of the more difficult issues of this period are excellent, particularly the consequences and implications of the holocaust and European intellectuals sympathy towards communists. In many ways I felt that he covers Britain in this period worst, possibly because he lived there for much of this period causing him to pick out incidental, although still engaging, things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've read Imagined Communities (Benedict Anderson) and The Discovery of France (Graham Robb), both were very interesting despite the difference in style. Would love any recommendations of readable histories of nations coming into being as nations.