Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
My younger brother has been on a bit of a History bent for the last two weeks, and has been asking me for recommendations. Right now he is looking for something "like with Aztecs and poo poo" in his own words. So, can the thread recommend any decent history texts for the layman, especially around the Mexican area?

EDIT: Actually, any and all decent layman texts might be good, especially if they have a "hook" like Stephen Clarkes books on British History being fairly funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

He's just turned 18.

^^Didn't see this as I was posting but that looks like it could be a good fit.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Thanks! This is pretty much exactly what he was after.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

quote:

What is some good reading about Aparthied and all the stuff with Rhodesia? I keep seeing this come up lately with the right whining about white farmers but I don't feel really educated in the subject to feel confident talking about it.

I wanted to read more about King Leopold's Congo horrors but I don't really know where to start bookwise to get a good picture of what was happening beyond what i absorb basically by osmosis here

Asking for a friend. Can anyone recommend a good starting point?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

This may not be strictly historical but are there any books about how armies of particular periods fought wars and battles? Like, how does a nation pre-railroad mobilise its forces, get their troops to the field and get them back. How did a general issue movement and attack orders before telephones? How did it change when telephones came along? How do you actually use a tank, or artillery on the battlefield?

Closely related, can anyone recommend books on how ships and navies answered similar questions?