Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Megasabin posted:

My brother and I are going to Mexico/Guatemala at the end of the month to see all the Mayan Ruins. Anyone know of a good book on Mayan history I could read beforehand? Readability is way more important to me than dry facts, as I won't learn anything if I can't finish the book.

Oddly enough Diego de Landas account is pretty much a major cornerstone of understanding Mayan history and its pretty readable to boot. Just be aware that it is not all Mayan history and the author is a loving prick. If thats not really your thing I can check my shelf and give you some other recommendations.

As an aside if you get a chance in Tikal to head over the border to Belize check out Cahal Pech, I did some archeological excavations there last year and the town is literally right next to it. Its a pretty hot tourist town and they frequently run caving expeditions to the ATM caves which are really really really cool but im getting off topic.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

stealie72 posted:

Looking for something insanely specific that my Amazon and google skills are not up to. Can anyone point to a history of Sears rise into a ubiquitous mail order company through it putting stores in every city and mall? There's some stuff written about its fall, and a lot of business-heavy reading, but I can't find a good history about it's growth as mail order and then onto main street.

Context for this is looking at Amazon putting in warehouses in every city, sending out a toy catalog, and starting to build physical stores and wondering if they're just Sears 2.0

Sears was a ubiquitous mail order company before malls were really a thing. The Sears catalog kicks off in like the 1888s though selection was fairly limited.

Only really know this off the top of my head because old Sears catalogs are hoarded by archaeologists because they are really handy for identification .

For instance this chronology has them opening their first retail store in 1925, which is 30 years after they start pumping out catalogs

http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/chronology.htm

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Grevling posted:

I'm interested in the cattle herding cultures of South Sudan like the Dinka and Nuer, does anyone know of any books? I guess it could fall more under anthropology than history but asking anyway. Histories that deal with the region or surrounding ones would also be cool.

I don't know specific titles but the Nuer had a lot written about them from a cultural anthropology perspective.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I am neck deep in contract writing so this probably wont be as clear as I want it to be, but as someone who does archaeology imo most of that may be an institutionlized reaction to how god drat bad the general public perceives the past.

If you don't have that caveat/exception they will, unless they are (comparatively) well read into the topic, take the single bad factoid about so and so doing one bad thing and use it to paint the entire society throughout the ages up to and including modern times with modern descendant groups. Please believe me when I say this happens all the time.

I've got to be reaally loving careful about what I say about things to the public, because Joe and Jane from Ohio or Spain or whatever are going to hear "human sacrifice" and take that as their big take away and interpretation of a culture instead of the ingenuous architectural designs which passively redirect and conserve water.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 27, 2024

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I was under the impression that Hardcore History is just not that great overall