Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011
Does anyone have any suggestions for books on 'The Troubles' in Northern Ireland? I'll take anything from broad overviews of the politics involved to a look at day to day life during the period. I've got a very basic understanding of the issues, but I'd like to learn more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

dokmo posted:

Korean War by Max Hastings

I didn't think this was quite as good as The Coldest Winter, but it does offer a view of the war from a non US perspective.

Hastings has some interesting chapters dealing with the British Army in Korea. I particularly liked the line about suggestions for what the officers should pack, something like "Take a gun, but not your best gun". As if they would have shooting parties on their days off.

There were also some chapters dealing with POWs from both sides.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Dunbar posted:

Of these WWI books:

The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 by Christopher Clark

The War That Ended Peace: The Road to 1914 by Margaret McMillan

Catastrophe 1914: Europe Goes to War by Max Hastings

The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman

To End All Wars: A Story of Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914-1918 by Adam Hochschild

Can anyone help with recommendations or brief summaries of how they're different? I'd like to read one or two but I can't figure out what sets them apart from each other. Thanks.

I've read The Sleepwalkers & The Guns of August. Sleepwalkers is more about how the situation in Europe allowed the war to begin. It stops as mobilization begins. The Guns of August is about the immediate build up & the first month of the war. Both are excellent, but approach different parts of the war. I've not read Catastrophe, but I saw a review that seemed to suggest that it covers more of the war than Guns of August.

If you like Sleepwalkers I can also recommend The Lions of July which covers the actions of the diplomats during the buildup to the war. Dreadnought & Castles of Steel are also both excellent books about the period before war & the war, primarily from a naval angle, but also focusing on the personalities of the period.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Boomer The Cannon posted:

What recommendations do you have for books on The Falklands War or the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan?

For the Falklands I have The Battle for the Falklands by Hastings & Jenkins. It alternates chapters between the political effort to mediate the situation and the military efforts. I also have The Falklands War 1982 by Middlebrook. It's been awhile since I read them but I remember they were good overviews of the conflict

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Ah, thanks for mentioning that, I think I might give that a read simply because I have a distant fond memory of having read a particularly large and excellent book on South Africa and Rhodesia, but I don't think it was that one so this might rekindle it for me. I wonder if that's the book...nah....

I wonder if the Soviet-Afghan situation is covered in any form as thoroughly as say, the Vietnam War? Maybe not because of Russian sources?

I don't know if it's what you are looking for, but The Hidden War, A Russian Journalist's Account of the Soviet War in Afghanistan, by Artyom Borovik is a pretty harsh look at the war through the eyes of the average Soviet soldier.

There's also a couple of books out, The Bear Went Over the Mountain & The Other Side of the Mountain that are more of a look at the war at a tactical level. I'm not sure if those are US books or Russian.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011
Any recommendations for books on the 1st Gulf War? Especially anything that has any insight to the Iraqi side of the conflict.

It seems like an event that has been overshadowed by later history.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Hungry posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for books about the Soviet–Afghan War?

I've enjoyed The Hidden War by Artyom Borovik & The Bear Went Over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Per posted:

Does anyone know of a book about borders? Like, borders through the ages. How did one cross a border between Roman Gaul and Germany? How did borders become more entrenched and formalized as the bureaucratic state blossomed in the 19th century? Etc, etc. Stuff like that.

No, but now I want to read the book you just described.

I suggest you start researching and writing...

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Pick posted:

Looking for a recommendation for the Soviet-Afghan war? It doesn't have to be the entire book, even just a substantial section is fine.

The Hidden War by Artyom Borovik isn’t a history of the war on a tactical or strategic level, but rather stories of what Soviet troops went through during the conflict.

There’s also The Soviet Afghan War: How a Superpower Fought and Lost by the Russian General Staff which is a translation of high level after action report of the conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crini
Sep 2, 2011
Are there any decent histories out there on the US invasions of Grenada in 1983 (Operation Urgent Fury) or Panama in 1989 (Operation Just Cause)?

I realize they were both really short military actions. With Grenada everything that went wrong is probably more interesting than the military actions themselves. Panama probably has a more interesting build up period with the US involvement in both the country and the government and then the immediate lead up to military action. Plus the whole deal with Noriega in the Vatican Embasssy.