Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

BlueDiablo posted:

Antony Beevor wrote a reasonable introduction to the Spanish Civil War:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Battle-Spain-Spanish-1936-1939/dp/014303765X

It was pretty well received in Spanish circles largely because it was largely viewed as one of the genuinely successful/balanced accounts made by an outsider. There might be better general histories out there, try looking for a concise history.
I second this, it's a good read.

Question time: Am I the only person who thought Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose was a terribly-written book?

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

BlueDiablo posted:

To Lose a Battle by Alistair Horne is a pretty comprehensive, if old fashioned (concentrates a LOT on the 1940 campaign for the second half, obviously, but the first half is fantastic) discussion of the fall of France. I'd also recommend his book on the 1870-71 Franco-Prussian War (Fall of Paris) and his examination of 1917 Verdun (The Price of Glory)
Seconding 'To Lose a Battle," very well written.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Anyone have any suggestions for reading on the Dominican Republic?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

blakout posted:

Country of My Skull by Antjie Krog is quite good. He's a South African Journalist who was at the hearings for Truth and Reconciliation after Apartheid ended every day for South African TV. He has a first hand account of that pivotal moment in time. I read it for my Modern Africa class in college and quite enjoyed it.
Seconded. This book is amazing.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

What recommendations do you have for books on The Falklands War or the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

EricD posted:

Second, Alistair Horne's To Lose A Battle. This is the authoritative book on the Battle of France in 1940. It starts long before 1940, beginning in 1919 with the Treaty of Versailles and France victorious over a broken Germany. It traces how the French Army stagnated and declined from the superb weapon of 1918 into the rusty implement of 1940, and traces how the German Army recovered from its collapse in the interwar period and laid the foundations for its future military success. When war finally comes, Horne covers the conflict from the quarrels in high command all the way down to the experiences of private soldiers on a day by day, sometimes hour by hour account of the Fall of France. Horne does not just address the how's but digs into the why's of French failure and German success. Anyone who wishes to understand that Fall, perhaps the most decisive of German victories and crushing of Allied defeats in the Second World War, would do well to read this book.
Late to the party, but To Lose A Battle is an amazing book.

EDIT: I totally forgot about Keegan's Intelligence in War, got it for 5 bucks at Borders (RIP) and couldn't put it down.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 15, 2016

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I've trying to read a biography of each US President, and rather than start at the beginning I picked up mid-20th Century (Truman by McCullough, Eisenhower In War and Peace by Smith, An Unfinished Life by Dallek, LBJ by Dallek and The Arrogance of Power by Summers).

Where do I go from here, as far as FDR and Gerald Ford biographies?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Bandiet posted:

Funnily enough, I just started this exact same project. In researching I found this guy's blog to be very helpful and thorough, as well as him seeming like a pretty trustworthy critic. He's not quite up to the era you need, though.

He's got what I could use, though. I did start in a weird spot.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Any good books about modern Eastern European history? Probably looking for something like the last several hundred years, as countries began their independence movements up until modern day.

It's not all of Eastern Europe, but it helps:

https://www.amazon.com/Balkans-Nati...RKGSANX8KY1B6M7

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Any recommendations on Edward VIII, or the Abdication Crisis?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

vyelkin posted:

A Writer at War by Vassily Grossman is also great.

Seconded, this is a fantastic book.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Finished off 'Hillbilly Elegy' by JD Vance, where do I go from there? I've got a copy of 'Darkness Comes to the Cumberlands" coming, but what other Appalachian history/social books exist?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Working through The Battle For the Falklands, so far so good. Since everything seems to relate back to the Suez Crisis, any book recommendations there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Any recommendations pertaining to the occupation of France during WW2?