Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Anyone know a good book or two on the history of US atomic bomb testing? Not so much the Manhatten Project, but all the testing that came after Trinity.

As a side note, isn't this the craziest goddamn thing:

I've not read it, but you might want to check out Richard Rhodes' Making of the Atomic Bomb.

Continuing with the WWII/Japan talk, Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan tells more about the cultural aspects of Japan at that time and how Hirohito was drawn into WWII. Super dry, so I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, but interesting and informative if you're into that sort of thing.

Also, Farewell to Manzanar is a story of Japanese internment camps here in the states. It's geared more for teen readers, but it's still an excellent book.

Flags of Our Fathers about the Iwo Jima flag raisers was interesting, but kind of short and light.

Switching gears, just finished Cleopatra, which I've talked about like 17 other times in this forum. Okay history on her, Caesar, and Mark Antony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Spuzzz posted:

Can anyone recommend a book on the history of religions? I'm looking for something that talks about how how various religions borrow from each other and are intertwined.

You might want to check out Karen Armstrong. She's got a bunch of stuff that might fit what you need. Also The World's Religions by Huston Smith. Read that in college.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

Spills the Moon posted:

Alright, here comes a long list of requests.

I'm looking to learn more about the general history of the world. I've been indecisive lately over which country or continents I'd like to learn about, but I've decided that since I'd rather learn about whole regions in general first, and then decide which countries I'd like to learn about in more detail later.

quote:

Middle Eastern history

http://middleeast.about.com/od/middleeast101/tp/me070905a.htm
Seems to have some good stuff. I recognize almost all the titles.

quote:

African history

King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hothschild, about Belgium's King Leopold and the carving up of Africa in the 1800s by Europe.

Shake Hands with the Devil by Romeo Dallaire, who was the UN's force commander in Rwanda in 1993. Don't know how depressed you want to be since it deals with the genocide.

quote:

Also, I'd like to know more about Modern Japanese and Chinese history and anything that goes into specifics of any of the eras/dynasties of ancient Japan, China, or Korea. (East Asia is really the only part of the world I know lots about.)

Not super modern, but I've read the majority (it's incredibly dry) of Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan by Herbert Bix, about the lead up to WWII. Covers a lot of the cultural aspects of Japan in the early 20th century.

There's also On China by Henry Kissinger.

I got nothin' on your other requests.

Part of the joys of working in a bookstore: I get to recommend books I haven't read to people I don't know.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

Chamberk posted:

Can anyone suggest any history books that would be appropriate for a middle school reader? I'm working on a curriculum list for a summer reading program, and we're trying to get nonfiction for the younger levels, but it's proving difficult.

Farewell to Manzanar covers a teen's experience in Japanese internment camps during WWII.

Ket posted:

Just went through this thread in about an hour hoping for recommendations about the beginnings of the unions (preferably available on Google books), as my Google-fu is weak.

Triangle by Eric Von Drehl deals with the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire. The fire led to a pretty big push towards unionization.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

Roadside_Picnic posted:

Can anybody recommend a good general history of New York City for the 19th and 20th centuries? Some focus on immigration and neighborhoods would be great but it's by no means a must.

Five Points by Tyler Anbinder. Essentially a history of poor immigrant living in the mid to late 19th century. Things like 15 people living in a two room apartment with no windows.