Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm interested in a good history of the War of the Roses and would appreciate your recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Allison Weir and Dan Jones both wrote good popular histories on the subject, each titled The Wars of the Roses. Of the two, I prefer Weir's - she includes a lot of the little anecdotes that make the wars fun to read about - but hers has the odd downside of cutting off before Richard III bites it at Bosworth, whereas Jones' goes all the way to the accession of Henry Tudor.

Having a halfway decent background in English history post-Conquest is, imo, pretty vital to understanding what the hell is going on in the Wars of the Roses, so if you don't feel strong in that area I'd recommend Dan Jones' The Plantagenets to start with.

e: if you're in the UK, Dan Jones' book has the much more exciting title The Hollow Crown

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations. My knowledge of English history is decent until around Stamford Bridge, other than what I recall from exhibits at the Tower of London, so I will start with the Plantagenets as you suggest.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

fridge corn posted:

Whats the best book on English history, spanning from whenever up to at least the imperial era

Britain Begins takes you from the ice age up to the Battle of Stamford Bridge and is an excellent read.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I somehow managed to forget I picked up a copy of The Plantagenets so another long read is in the queue

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

A human heart posted:

Hardcore is a great genre containing a lot of great bands my man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KeplwDwEB4

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

any recommendations for books on everyday life in the USSR?

The Gulag Archipelago :obama:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Dukket posted:

Looking for something on the spread of christianity to and throughout Europe?

Ehrman's Lost Christianities touches on this, but is more focused on doctrinal dominance. Still a fantastic read, and the subjects are intertwined so worthwhile for your needs.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lost Christianities is great but it's really only concerned with the first few hundred years of christianity at most; you're not going to read much (anything?) about its spread into Europe

It deals with up to like 400-800 AD so it gets into schisms between Rome and, say, France, but this

quote:

i would recommend richard fletcher's the conversion of europe, which is about exactly what it sounds like. runs from some of the earliest missionary activities to conversion of the Lithuanians in the late 14th century

Sounds like something I would also be interested in reading, thanks

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

really? man i do not remember that. i'll have to re-read it

Well now you have me hauling it off the shelf because its been some years since I last read it. Definitely goes through at least 400 AD though since that is when orthodoxy really firms up and we have our oldest manuscripts. I had misremembered Irenaeus as having lived more recently than he did though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good lord I just realized that Caro still hasn’t finished his LBJ biography series. I thought he’d been done for years.

From Wikipedia

He went from thinking it would be done by 2014 to it being several years away as of last December. Dude is gonna die long before he finishes at this rate.

That delay was probably due to his imprisonment in Syria though?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

There is also Cundiff's Britain Begins, which is a history from recession of the glaciers to basically the Battle of Stamford Bridge. Whereas it does not get into beliefs per se it does document the migrations of many peoples around northern Europe and ties various neolithic (and other) cultures together using the latest (as of the publication date iirc 2013) archeological knowledge. Important context for understanding how belief systems are interrelated.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Um, the movie Ghandi starring Rudyard Kipling

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oh no not the Germans

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

It might be the weed but what strange turn has the thread taken I can't really parse it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

And prepare to be super depressed. I've also just put on order a copy of The Assassination of Lumumba for more recent event readings.

On another topic...

How solid is the scholarship behind Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee? It's one of the most captivating histories I've ever read, as depressing as it is. Reads like a grand adventure tale into the misery of the 19th century manifest destiny mindset of the post war era. Really nailed the indigenous perspective from what I know from my other readings.

I'll be following it up with Clearing the Plains for a Canadian take with heavy footnotes.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Any recommendations for books on Native Americans, especially in the context of how the US govt hosed them?

My fathers on a bit of a kick reading about them and he’s really coming around to “holy poo poo they got a raw deal” which is kind of a big thing for a 70 year old guy raised on Gunsmoke and The Lone Ranger. I think he’s a leash read 1491.

Needs to be readable for an educated man who isn’t a historian. I think I threw him Facing East From Indian Country a few years back and he bounced off.

Literally in the post above yours. Bury my Heart is excellent

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Rimusutera posted:

another edit: trying to find more stuff specific to Louis Riel and the Red River & North-West Rebellions, gotta ask a friend there.

An Inconvenient Indian gets into that a little bit

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States goes into the subject as well

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Aerdan posted:

1491 covers prehistoric Americas fairly well, though it still buys in to the Bering Strait land bridge theory (which couldn't possibly be true considering we have human remains in the Americas dating 130,000+ years ago).

This is still quite controversial and is is far from scientific consensus

e. and from my memory it is an interpreted mammoth butcher/storage site with some (again interpreted) tools. IOW, not human remains per se, but inferred evidence for human activity, and other alternatives are also in play. If there are human body remains I would love a link.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 15, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

vyelkin posted:

I liked Barry Cunliffe, Europe Between the Oceans 9000 BC-1000 AD as a look at how Europe was populated by increasingly complex migration and settlement in the millennia leading up to what we think of as European history.

I'm going to get this. I loved Britain Begins, which covered some of this as well.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I'm interested in books about the end (?) or maybe decline of the hippie movement. I'm essentially curious about why it ended.

Also:

Any histories about AIDS activists of color or AIDS in communities of color. The go-to stuff like How to Survive a Plague is entirely white people iirc.

The popular fad ended but the hippies never went away. Google "Rainbow Gathering" sometime

e. the Rainbow Family wiki includes a link to this book, it might be relevant to your request: https://books.google.ca/books?id=3iFNGwAACAAJ&dq=inauthor:%22Barry+E.+Adams%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9r-GU-3iF5HboAS594LoCQ&redir_esc=y

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 29, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, this isn't a perfect fit for this thread but close enough I say: Egyptian Star Oracle is a weird kickstarter I'm looking at.

I'm just baffled at this white dude going out and making this, and honestly kind of intrigued, as it sounds interesting.

the true curse of the mummy was the assertion of ancient copyright

E;

quote:

Because each card contains a Pyramid Text spell, they can be used in evocation and ritual work as well as for divination.
Now that's just good marketing.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 7, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Lawman 0 posted:

Just cracked it open and it's like 900 pages. :negative:

I have confidence in you Lawman.0

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Grem posted:

Hello history book thread! Wow this is my third oldest bookmark, behind my mortgage and energy payments page.

I would like to humbly ask you folks for support. I teach 7th and 8th grade social studies in a pretty rough school district. Lots of problems with gangs, violence, drugs, you name it. I recently transferred to a brand new, as in first year it is open, school in the same district. In my previous school I had a lot of books from the school. Not text books, but nifty little books about women in history, how horrible life was for people in the middle ages, etc. I would give them to kids after they finished testing, or if they were done with assignments early, or a lot of other reasons. I also had a few of my own books, mostly about the Haitian Revolution, or the French Revolution, stuff I thought kids would be interested in. Here's one quick story about giving out these books:

There was a 7th grader, we'll call him Adam. He was always in trouble, would get mad at teachers often, walked out of classes a bunch, troubled homelife, all the red flags on his roster page, etc. He wasn't my student, he was on another team, but he was in my team's hallway once a day for a reading intervention class. He hated that teacher, I don't really blame her, she wasn't a pleasant person. One day he was cursing in the hall, super pissed at her, and I came out and gave him a book about Lafayette. It was my book, it was a little comic book thing. He looked at me kind of confused, it was our first real interaction. I went back into my room without saying a word to him. He was quiet, though, and he looked at the book once or twice. One of his friends walked by him and he said "Yo that motherfucker gave me a book." Throughout the rest of the hour I'd look out in the hallway, sometimes he was glancing at the book, sometimes not, it didn't really matter to me. But he kept the book.

I'm not going to lie to you, or myself, and tell you I sparked a love for history in this kid, but it did create a connection between the two of us, and every time he was heated in the hallway, I'd go talk to him. Not about history or anything, but the act of giving that book was an opening to let the kid know that I do care about him, so when he was cursing and yelling and I'd ask him "Adam, what's the deal?" he'd calm down and tell me what was upsetting him. Whether it was valid reason or not, I felt like he was at least honest with him and willing to talk to me like I wasn't an enemy.

At the end of the year I usually give out all of the books that were in my classroom that were mine, not the school's. So every year I'd start with a decent amount of books but would replenish my own throughout the year. I did the same last year, not knowing I'd be taking this new job. So I left all the books that belonged to the school behind. I got into my classroom for the first time this last Friday. I have no books.

I put my only remaining book from my own collection from last year, a book about Robespierre (that Amazon says is worth $94, wtf?!). I asked my admin for some history books, and because we're in contract negotiations (a confounding reason), I was told no, only literacy classes would get books supplied by the school. I asked my district's social studies coordinator, she said all social studies resources would be online.

So I have two bookshelves in my room, and one lonely book. My funds are extremely limited (I'm a teacher, single dad, and two kids, ya know?) So here I am humbly asking for help. If anyone would be willing to donate a history book, ANY history book, I would be eternally grateful. I have no reading level restrictions, as I'll be teaching kids with everything from kindergarten to 8th grade reading levels, and the kids with higher reading levels generally enjoy challenging themselves with big fat intimidating books.

If you would be willing to help with any used book that you've loved in the past, please PM me, and I will provide you with my address for shipping. I'm not expecting miracles, but a single book can be so important to some of these kids that I'm willing to try anything.
Just FYI this post has my and the admins blessing

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

blue squares posted:

I’ll be visiting Paris and Amsterdam next year. I’d love some good histories of each city so that as I explore I can be familiar with the major events that occurred in the areas I see. I love knowing the stories behind different buildings, areas, etc

The thing I love about Paris is that a wander of the city is really a wander through a lot of western philosophy.

Around Jardin des Plantes? You get continental Natural History off every street sign (read Gould to get into the figures of Bouffon, Lammark, and of course Cuvier--most are buried in Pere Lachaise along with Wilde, Proust, Hugo, Balzac, etc.).

Anywhere in the 5eme there are scads of works set there. My most recent read of mine set there (in part) was Eco's Foucault's Pendulum.

Go into the Pantheon specifically and just absorb the history.

Wandering south around Montparnasse? Read Hemingway. Hell, Movable Feast covers the central core well enough, esp the Mouffetard of course.

Paris is just a gem and I love it. You can't turn a corner without running into a historical marker. Roman ruins? Check. A Roman bath or coliseum? Check (Cluny Musee and Arene des Lutecs, respectively). Piles of bones, hit the catacombs. Want to see where the Bastille was? They have its walls marked off on the ground where it was. The guillotine was used around there as well, but also Place de la Concorde. Those famous photos from WWII around the Arc de Triomphe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Reminds me to finally read The Plantagenets this year