Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Alternate history is explicitly fiction, it's "what-if" stories. Pseudohistory is bullshit masquerading as real history. They are completely different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Can anyone recommend a book on the Meiji Restoration?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

It's not a non fiction work but Flaubert's Sentimental Education gives a good feel of the period between the Bourbon Restoration to the establishment of the Second Empire. Moreau, the protagonist, is such a myopic dip poo poo he doesn't really understand anything that's happening which ironically does a good job of representing how much political changes tend to happen around people rather, how much people are just swept up by the current with their heads down until their friend gets their head split open on the street.

Also a beautifully written and hilarious work. Take it over Madame Bovary anyday

what translation did you read? I found this one https://archive.org/details/sentimentaleduca00flauiala

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

my library didn't have an ebook for Sentimental Education, but they did have Madame Bovary, so I'm reading the latter first. its pleasant enough, reads a bit like 19th century simpsons.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Gripweed posted:

I’m reading Six Frigates. It’s extremely good. I’m not going to let this turn me into a boat guy.

do NOT read Castles of Steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

zedar posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book on the Empire of Japan, with a focus on Japanese expansionism in the lead up to and during the pacific war? Preferably not too focused on the military aspect so much as the politics and international consequences.

I've been reading Japan 1941 by Eri Hotta. It covers the political situation that led to war with the US. I'm not qualified to say how accurate it is, but it's a good read