Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I'm almost done with Johnathan Parshall's book Shattered Sword (it's really great and I can't recommend it enough) and in the conclusions he references the Battle of Tsushima heavily in the lessons Japan learned in naval warfare.

What books (audiobooks preferred) would be best for someone very new to the Russo-Japanese war and Tsushima specifically, to start with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
I'm watching AMC's The Terror right now, and I've seen a few YouTube videos on the subject, but can anyone recommend any books? I've got Michael Palin's book on the Erebus right now from the library, any more recommendations? Audiobooks, as always, are a plus.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart

FPyat posted:

Is that the Monty Python Palin? I know he did pursue many interests after the Python days.

Yup. He mentions just finishing up One Down, Five To Go in the prologue.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart

BitAstronaut posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for books covering the US Navy during WW2?

I went through the audio book of Toll's trilogy (Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941–1942, 

The Conquering Tide: War in the Pacific Islands, 1942–1944,

Twilight of the Gods: War in the Western Pacific, 1944-1945

and found them to be a good bunch.

Edit: Almost forgot, if you haven't yet, Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway is very, very good, imo.

GoingPostal fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 30, 2024