Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Is there a book on the American Revolutionary War written from a Loyalist perspective? Not necessarily detailing how the "other side" fought during the war itself, but a thorough argument against the revolution in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I've trying to read a biography of each US President, and rather than start at the beginning I picked up mid-20th Century (Truman by McCullough, Eisenhower In War and Peace by Smith, An Unfinished Life by Dallek, LBJ by Dallek and The Arrogance of Power by Summers).

Where do I go from here, as far as FDR and Gerald Ford biographies?

Funnily enough, I just started this exact same project. In researching I found this guy's blog to be very helpful and thorough, as well as him seeming like a pretty trustworthy critic. He's not quite up to the era you need, though.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Where can I learn as much detail about life in the Antebellum South as possible? I don't mind academic or dry.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Very cool, thank you both.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Quarterroys posted:

Just chiming in to say that the Caro LBJ series is so loving good. About 1/4 through Master of the Senate, and going to be really sad once I’m current.

Can anyone recommend any other presidential biographies of similar quality and depth? Generally prefer 20th century, but open to anything.

I haven’t read it, but I’ve had my eye on Dumas Malone’s six volume biography “Jefferson and his Time.”

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I’m sure this is a common question, but what are some good books for background reading to Shakespeare’s history plays? For someone who knows nothing about the history other than how it is presented in those plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Shakespeare's Kings by John Julius Norwich is basically that book. It's not super in depth, but it's an easy to read overview for people who don't know much English history. Not a bad first stop to make you decide if you want to read more about particular periods.

Thanks, this is probably where I should start.
I was referring to the English history plays specifically, and I’ve read most of them before, but wanted to revisit them with some kind of real knowledge of the period.