Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I am currently going through The Fifth Sun: A New History of the Aztecs by Camille Townsend and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's drawing from all the newer research on the field as well as translated primary sources, and it's written well enough that somebody who knows absolutely nothing about the subject (me) can enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

ketchup vs catsup posted:

this thread is very dangerous for my "please read this some da-haha you know this is wishful thinking but sure, write it down" list

For every book I finish, the list expands by 3-5 more

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Drone posted:

Any fairly comprehensive but also approachable Chinese history? I don't really want to dive deeply into a specific event or period, just looking for something a bit more general and, well, centuries-spanning.

Johnathan Spence's The Search for Modern China

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats a good book on the history of LGBTQ+ rights/marriage in the US? its a subject id like to learn more about.

I appreciated The Gay Revolution: The Story of the Struggle by Lillian Faderman. The big caveat is that it was published right around the time of Obergefell v. Hodges in 2015 and so is slightly out of date. Still useful.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Ras Het posted:

I read the first one of these a while back and yeah I enjoyed it, but there was so little narrative that I basically had to read Wikipedia a lot to get a grip on the timeline

This one is a bit long for an introduction, but Frederick Mote's Imperial China 900-1800 is still a serious one-volume reference of the late imperial period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
I also second Japan 1941 by Eri Hotta as that is a diplomacy/high politics look at the years preceding the Pacific War.

Additionally, if you want more of a focus on the economics behind of the Empire of Japan, I would recommend Japan prepares for total war: The Search for Economic Security, 1919–1941, by Barnhart, about how Japan's search for economic security and resources led to imperial conquests.