Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What are the best books currently available in English about the Allied invasion of Sicily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Violet_Sky posted:

Crossposting from the History podcast thread:

It doesn't get all the way into wartime, but Peace and War by Nigel Jones is a pretty good overview of the state of British society immediately before World War 1

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kalman posted:

(Which is dubious/a stretch/bullshit because, y’know, the CIA has shown itself to be so extremely good at keeping secrets over those 60 years.)

This is the most tiresome argument. We know almost nothing about Operation Gladio, and most of what little did come out was because of an unrelated investigation into a bank in the 90s. Hell, we call the whole thing "Operation Gladio" even though we know there were different names for the operation in each country because Gladio is the only name we do know.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know Dan Carlin isn't super respected in history circles, but I find his podcast entertaining enough. So when I saw a copy of his book for cheap I picked it up. Whoo boy it is rough. His style is entertaining in podcast form but he writes in basically the exact same style and in book form it's real bad. And his shortcomings as a historian stand out way worse.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

History books that start each chapter with the author talking about how they went to a place and talked to a person who is vaguely related to the topic of the chapter should have a big warning label on the front so everyone can clearly see that they belong in the garbage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yaffle posted:

Is that what Hennessy does? I read it 15 years ago and only really remember enjoying it. :)

I don't know, my post was unrelated to yours

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lawman 0 posted:

This is a post about 1421 isn't it?

The book that inspired it was Beloved Beasts by Michelle Nijhuis, but I've seen it before and it's always terrible. That gimmick works fine for a TV show, because you gotta have some kinda picture to put on the screen. But it's a book, I'm imagining all of it, I don't need to hear about your loving field trip.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Can anyone recommend a good book about Frederick II?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Tim Blanning’s biography.

Wrong Frederick II

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=255

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was at Barnes and Noble the other day and they had two big rear end hardcover books about Waco in the new releases section. Waco by Jeff Guin and Waco Rising by Kevin Cook

Are either of those any good?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

withak posted:

As opposed to the "a person did this, then they did that, and so on" type of history?

You have clearly never read any military logistical histories. Those things are extremely focused on when new shipping depots opened and how much tonnage of materiel could be moved through them, and how much that affected the overall tonnage reaching the front, and how much was being held back for the push on this island for a battle that ended up not happening, and so on.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

almost done with Eric Foner's book on Reconstruction. I am feeling rather devastated. an important read for those like me who had a [scene missing] gap in knowledge about the post-Civil War era, whether due to poor public education or me sleeping in class (both may be partly to blame).

the book got me thinking about horrible SCOTUS decisions. are there any good books with an overview/analysis of some of the biggest Supreme Court cases in U.S. history?

Not a book, but the 5-4 podcast is an extremely good overview of major SCOTUS cases. They mainly focus on 20th century cases but occasionally dip back further.

I can also recommend Blessings of Liberty by Benedict. I know the title makes it sound like a jerkoff book, but it's actually a quite even handed overview of constitutional history. It's really good at showing how constitutional interpretation has shifted to respond to the politics of the day, from the early days when all the cases were about boring poo poo like building harbors and founding banks, to the Lochner era when the Reconsturction amendments were used to let corporations do whatever they want and the power of the contract was unimpeachable, to the hard fuckin swing in the Great Depression when they suddenly decided that actually minimum wage laws are legal and so on. It is a textbook though so it's stupid expensive.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What's the best single volume history of the Napoleonic wars?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/saywhatagain/status/1653097062823518209?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Are there any good books about the invasion of Grenada? I’m sure Osprey has put something out, god bless them, but I’m hoping for something that includes the political context.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

When Montezuma Met Cortés is extremely good and built around contradicting the received wisdom about the Aztecs that most people in the US get through cultural osmosis so it's good for people who haven't really looked into the history before. And it's about stuff from before the United Snakes of AmeriKKKa was even invented

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm reading this book called For the Soul of France because I wanted to know more about the Dreyfus Affair and I thought that's what it was about, it turns out it's not it's mainly a quick overview of post-1848 French political history and then a bit about the Dreyfus Affair.

Goddamn. The bit of French 19th century history you get in America is usually just the Revolution and then Napoleon. But the whole 19th century was buck wild in France.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a good single volume history of Israel, or failing that just the founding/early years of Israel? Preferably one that acknowledges the humanity of Palestinians, no Exodus-style blowjobs

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius please

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m reading a book called Weimar Culture by Peter Gay, I’m pretty deep into it and not come across any discussion of queer people or culture in Weimar Germany, so I flip through the index and discover this book doesn’t even have so much as a single reference to Magnus Hirschfeld. This is flagrant fake advertising, I want a refund.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I started reading Yugoslavia: Death of a Nation and in the introduction they say that a big part of their thesis is that the problem was the US didn't intervene early or hard enough.

I don't think I'm gonna vibe with this book.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m reading Six Frigates. It’s extremely good. I’m not going to let this turn me into a boat guy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i was reading the war that ended peace a book i very much reccomend, and its mostly about the origins of ww1 and alot of the early stuff is basicaly just how willie wanted to have a bigger better navey then england and Dreadnought arms race was the nuclear build up of its day, and because of how ww1 was fought, it never happened outside one battle.

https://www.amazon.com/The-War-That...aps%2C87&sr=8-1

This is why I refuse to become a boat guy. The first world war can be blamed directly on The Influence of Sea Power Upon History. And therefore all WW1's knockon effects, which includes WW2 and basically all bad things that happened in the 20th century are the fault of Alfred Thayer Mahan liking boats too much.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Six frigates owns so much. He talks about how the US government offered cash prizes to any American who could build some kind of contraption and successfully use it to blow up a British ship. After detailing the various Looney Tunes-esque adventures this spawned, it ends with just a fantastic sentence.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My copy of Only The Good Die Young shipped. Kinda takes some of the gloss off of Jacobin having them all printed and ready to go if they took a month to ship them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FPyat posted:

I read more than a hundred pages of a book about the Crimean War before it occurred to me that that conflict is eerily relevant to the present day.

I've always wondered, what was the Crimean War?