Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Epicurius posted:

This is probably less helpful than it could be, because I have no idea how it is as an audiobook (it was good as a book book), and it's not premodern, but Christopher Clark's "Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947" is a history, largely a social and political history of Prussia that's pretty good.

How much would it teach me about the other German states?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I've recently seen Laura Engelstein's Russia in Flames: War, Revolution, Civil War, 1914 - 1921 start popping up on shelves, wonder where it stands in relation to the many other books on the Revolution.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The Fall of Paris by Alistair Horne is a singular read.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
How does Rick Atkinson's The British Are Coming compare with McCullough's 1776?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
To accompany me watching The Queen's Gambit, I'm looking for books that give accounts of the lives of chess masters.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm looking for general works on the Gulags that are less polemical than Anne Applebaum's book.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It just happens that I finished Volume I of his trilogy yesterday. I was reading it because I was dissatisfied with how quickly McPherson went over the battles and couldn't find any other histories of similar comprehensiveness not by Bruce Catton. I couldn't detect too much explicit bias asides from him giving somewhat more space on the page to the Confederate perspective.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Will I learn macroeconomics principles from reading The Wages of Destruction?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Very frustrating that the Oxford History of the United States remains glaringly incomplete.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I don't have or know of any good books about the politics and society of Imperial Japan. Explanation of how Japan differed from European fascism would be helpful. Suggestions?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Epicurius posted:

Imperial Japan during WWII, you mean?

This is not really what you're looking for, but I'm going to recommend it anyway.....Eri Hotta's Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy, which is about the Japanese decision to attack Pearl Harbor, and how it came about, and looking at that decision is a good way in microcosm to see the internal logic and the essential disfunction of the Japanese state and decision making process during the war.

Japan between 1906 and 1941, mostly.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I bought used copies of Shelby Foote's Civil War series and - whoops - should've read the discussion ITT several pages ago about the author's problematic views and went with Battle Cry for Freedom instead.

If you're eager for more battle stories after finishing McPherson I can confirm that Bruce Catton's books are good enough to deserve the Pulitzer. His account of Antietam is far superior to Foote's. On the flip side, Foote does cover the naval battles very well, and gives good attention to minor engagements like Glorieta Pass that McPherson barely mentions.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm looking for books that heavily cover geopolitics and diplomacy. Books that illustratively apply theoretical lenses to events would be great. I know very little about the Middle East, Africa, and South and Southeast Asia. Currently have 'From Colony to Superpower' by George Herring, three different books on the leadup to WW1, 'Monsoon' by Robert Kaplan (the guy sounds extremely controversial, but I want to give him a chance), and 'Paris 1919' by Margaret MacMillan. Would 'Diplomacy' by Kissinger be good for me?

FPyat fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 23, 2021

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

oscarthewilde posted:

Dreadnought by Robert K. Massie has quite a lot on pre-WW1 Great Power diplomacy, including some pretty interesting biographies of hilariously stuck up British and German civil servants. Such loveable workaholics!

Dreadnought is one of my WW1 books. I just hope it has some pages devoted to France and Russia.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Minenfeld! posted:

I would suggest that a better read would be Clark's Sleepwalkers which certainly does devote time to France and Russia. Dominic Lieven's End of Tsarist Russia (US title) focuses solely on Russia. While he loses his initial claim that everything hinged on Ukraine over the course of the book, it still offers good insight into Russian decision-making.

The first third of Sleepwalkers that I read were quite illuminating. I do recall seeing a tweet somewhere saying that Clark is a pro-German revisionist, don't know enough to judge that.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It's pretty wild that my high school library had a copy of Dreadnought in it. Can't say it's that likely that it was ever read, but I sure noticed it sitting there.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Almost finished with A Stillness at Appomattox by Bruce Catton, I have to say that out the three books in the trilogy, it's not the one I'd have picked for a Pulitzer Prize. The first book Mr Lincoln's Army really shined in a way that the two later books don't.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Any books on the Civil Rights movement that center how people who weren't activists or politicians felt about it? If anything, reading the freakouts of hardline racists as their dominant order gets torn down would be entertaining. I've found one oral history of the period but it seems to be all interviews of participants.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Fighting Trousers posted:

You'll probably like Jason Sokol's There Goes My Everything.

Excellent, thank you.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm interested in reading The Story of Civilization but am worried that the historiography will be way too outdated. Should I put it off until I'm familiar with more modern research on the periods covered?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm curious about the perspective of the minor German states towards German unification 1848-1871. What diplomatic maneuvers were made? How did attitudes and political motivations shift? What were the leaders thinking as they finally decided to join Prussia? How much reluctance was there?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats some good books on Antietam? been reading the sears book and its great but i am curious about others.

also maybe some interesting books about that period. like i love This Republic of Suffering, so something like that maybe. i have been on a civil war kick since i started played war of rights.

EDIT.

also any good books about lincolns lawyer years/ court cases.

Bruce Catton's account of the battle in Mr Lincoln's Army is extremely good, it dominates the rest of the book.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I remember reading somewhere that the Russian government didn't want peasants to brew alcohol because it reduced food production. Is there anything that mentions this?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What are the best books that haven't been translated into English? I wonder what I'm missing out on. There's an 800-page biography of Willy Brandt by Peter Merseberger that I'd read if I knew German.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Minenfeld! posted:

Yes, I felt very uplifted after reading A People's Tragedy. Really, an underrated feel-good work.

Who were his rivals, exactly?

Robert Service was one of the targets.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm looking at The Nazi Seizure of Power: The Experience of a Single German Town 1930-1935, and I wonder if there are any other books that study a geographically widespread event through the case study of a single town. I have a copy of Magnetic Mountain by Stephen Kotkin.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm interested in how perceptions of Roman history have changed through time. Who did people post 476 see as the heroes, and who as the villains? Were Marius and the Gracchi demonized? Was the transition to Empire seen as good or bad? Did monarchists think Rome proved the deficiencies of republican government and the need for hereditary succession? First Principles by Thomas Ricks covers what the American founders thought, so I guess I'm looking for information on older European views.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 25, 2022

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

PittTheElder posted:

There's also Apollo by Murray and Bly Cox that's quite good (though it's been many a year since I read it).

Is it really written by the race realism guy?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Is that the Monty Python Palin? I know he did pursue many interests after the Python days.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I can point you to multivolume bios for non-American heads of state, but not much for American presidents, asides from Edmund Morris' Theodore Roosevelt trilogy.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Lawman 0 posted:

Honestly I feel like biographies have unfairly fallen out of favor recently?
They seem useful to me for getting inside the shoes of people but I don't remember the last time one a historical one was really popular?

Chernow

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Are there any 500+ page tomes about the Titanic?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The book gave me a vivid picture of how people in the major cities were living but I barely had the slightest clue what the period was like for the newly freed slaves. Just some mentions of white supremacist violence, little about the everyday.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I do have to point out that the US spent quite a while on the backfoot when it came to fleet carriers available.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Terribly confusing that The Search for Modern China shares a title with its companion book, which is a much shorter compilation of primary sources.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I have a lack of books about modern Japan that aren't narrowly focused on the years 1941-45, other than Embracing Defeat.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Anything that gives me more understanding of the local differentiation of particular islands, regions, and cities would be of particular interest. Another question that captures my curiosity is why Japanese politics went so terribly wrong in the 1920s.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The part about the Navy is just a 150 page diversion but it's a good one.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I get the impression that the emperor was just too drat old in the last 20 years of his life to push for needed reform. Could an earlier death have helped? I don’t know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Wanting to read a one volume bio of Churchill, I’m having trouble choosing between Roberts and Jenkins.